Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Proud New Owner Of A Vaquero

RPG said:
I am now the proud new owner of a vaquero. On vacation next week. I will let you know how I like it when I get back. HH
Randy

Congrats and happy hunting :thumbsup:

Badger

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.

Thats awsome, I cannot wait to hear about it. I have a feeling I will be owning a Tesoro next week myself. I will be getting with Tony at TC Detectors. Good luck.

OP
OP
RPG

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero

Had a couple of hours to play yesterday. Easy to ground balance. With sens. on 6 I couldn't see an improvement over the silver u-max. On 10 I gained an inch or so. On max I could get 8-10" on a quarter. Now I don't know how well it's going to work in varying soil conditions but, when super tuned, I got an amazing 14" on that same quarter. Threw a large piece of brass from an old oil lamp on the ground and I couldn't pick the coil high enough to lose it. Probably got better than 2 ft. This of course is just an air test so I still have alot of swinging to do. I will keep you informed.
Randy

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's

RPG, Super tuning works well in the ground also! Now, to make sure I'm not misleading anyone, first set the machine as you normally would, (i.e. ground balance, sensitivity, etc...), then when the unit is completely set up, turn the threshold to max. Now, pinpointing will NOT be functional, (although most folks never need to use it), as the threshold oversaturates the P.P. circuit. Also, super tuning works REGARDLESS of where the sensitivity is set, so that shouldn't be a problem! :thumbsup: Muleskinner, you are exactly correct, when the Vaquero is super tuned, bring a shovel! Great hunting and good luck!! Regards, Richard.

OP
OP
RPG

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used

OK...After a week with my new V. all I can say is "WOW". The week didn't start out the way I would have liked, but got better as it went along. Started out cold and windy and I didn't get alot of swinging in the first few days. Started warming up about Wednesday and I started swinging hard. Stayed with it from daylight till dark and am on my fourth battery since going on vacation. I'm still learning but here's my thoughts so far. Very sensitive to small objects. I have never found shotshell primers with the silver but found 3 this week. Also found some other very small items. The depth is there but I didn't find alot of deep items. Maybe there were no deep items or maybe I just need more time to learn. I started playing with the supertune yesterday. This machine is deep when supertuned and even more sensitive. I was digging very small copper and brass pieces that have been chewed by the plow. I think supertune works better with sens. on 6-8. When it is run on 10 or higher the unit gets very chirpy. Maybe this would be OK in a wide open field not infested with nails. All in all, I am very pleased with the Vaquero. I will keep everyone informed as I go but still need alot of time to learn. I have posted a pic of some of my finds this week below.
Randy

Attachments

• vacfinds1.JPG
    vacfinds1.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 493

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
Thats excellent, RPG! Glad you like your machine and looks like your hunts were productive and I am sure it'll keep getting better. Thanks for sharing.

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
Glad to hear you are satisfied with the Vaquero!! :thumbsup: I KNEW there was something I forgot to add about super tuning, and that was it, RPG! In my experience, about 40% of the time I have to lower the sensitivity to avoid annoying chirps, but get ready to learn how to tell deeep birdshot from shotguns from desireable targets, or you'll dig yourself to death!! By the way, if you get a good signal on a target, but can't find it , it is probably small birdshot. Great finds!! Great hunting and good luck!! Regards, Richard.

OP
OP
RPG

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
skypilot02 said:
Glad to hear you are satisfied with the Vaquero!! :thumbsup: I KNEW there was something I forgot to add about super tuning, and that was it, RPG! In my experience, about 40% of the time I have to lower the sensitivity to avoid annoying chirps, but get ready to learn how to tell deeep birdshot from shotguns from desireable targets, or you'll dig yourself to death!! By the way, if you get a good signal on a target, but can't find it , it is probably small birdshot. Great finds!! Great hunting and good luck!! Regards, Richard.

Thanks Richard...Been getting alot of those can't find its. Kinda figured it was birdshot or something. Can't believe how sensitive the Vaq. is to lead.
Randy

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
Randy, Glad to help! I sure agree, the Vaqureo will find musket and M'innie balls that others have walked right over! The V. seems to find odd things others either walk over or just miss, and those are the things that kind of give us a look into the past. I don't know at all, but maybe Tesoro designed it that way, after all, it is listed as a relic machine. I like to find the things like you found! Again, great job! Regards, Richard.

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your not kidding when you say it finds small targets.
I was hunting a small hill once with a golden saber and kept getting really good hits and couldn't find the target.
Finally I said screw it I am going to find the target this time no matter what. Started sifting the dirt threw my hands and out pops a 22 bullet the lead part.
Seems someone at sometime used it as a backstop because the place was loaded with them lol.

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
GrenMeanie, Skypilot here! Man, that would be just MURDER on the ole' hands!! But, then again, you are sure not to miss anything!! LOL!! Great hunting and good luck!! Regards, Richard

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread