Tejon and nickels... can I knock out tabs but keep nickels? It’s the sound?

Rare_Hunter

Mar 1, 2009
Green Bay, Wi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Tesoro Golden U-Max

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
I actually am using the same set up and just got my Tejon, too. I have done air tests and found a couple of thawed spots today. I don't think that you can reject the tab and keep knickles. You could play with the discrimeter each time, but that is time consuming. I have been in areas that have pull tabs and it is tough. Due to only one tone, it makes it difficult, too.
However, by taking it outside, I am starting to ditinguish the crackling and popping people are talking about. I am finding that it's another ball game. I think it's just going to take time, practice and alot of trash digging to really get to know this machine. I did find a bracellet today with it and there was no mistake that it was a good signal.
The air tests were great to see how the detector works, but tuning my ear is happening out in the dirt. I hope the ground thaws more by next week so I can get back out there. Good luck with yours and I will keep an eye on this post also and I hope some experience with the Tejon will write , too. :occasion14:

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
Yes, sort of. Take a nickel and a sample pull tab from the site you are hunting. Set Disc one to where the sound just barely crackles on a nickel. Set Disc two to crackle and break up on the tab. When you hit a crackle sound in disc one - it is likely a nickel. When you hit a repeatable target in disc one, quickly trigger over to Disc two. If it crackles - you know it's a tab. If it's solid on disc 2 - it's a more conductive target than a tab, which is usually a coin wheat, zinc,silver, etc. Problem is, screwcaps - if those are present, you will be (no pun intended) screwed :icon_jokercolor:

I can hear a tab on mine - it's like a sharp edgy beep - on the louder side. A coin is a "round" sounding smooth target that hits small and smooth. Also, pinpointing on a tab is usually more difficult - a telltale sign. Hope that helps,
Ian

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Thanks for that info SaginawIan. I will definitely be trying that out this weekend. I am still learning my Tejon and am always looking for more education on it!

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
The problem with tabs is there are at least 4 or 5 different types(alloys). Plus there are broken, round and square ones. No matter how you want to try and disc them and keep nickels you will be leaving some nickels behind.

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
I agree with Squaby, I tried playing with the disk and it seems as though I either still get tabs as some react different or I do not get any nicklels. I set it right on where the tab disc out and some make no sound and some crackle. I was digging all kinds to see if I could single it out and I cannot as of yet. Though I am a new user of the Tejon, I have been logging some hours in parks to get used to the disc, ground balance and pinpointing. The woods are still on the frozen side around here anyway.

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
I understand what you guys are saying - and maybe I made it seem too simple or easy. As you guys already know this is not fool proof and it is also a good point that different pull tabs bang differently. That's why I was saying if you tune it with the prevalent tab on your site - you should get close on the tab end. The nickle should be right on. If you have about 5 diffrent types of tabs - you might have to thumb your disc a bit and put a couple of stickies on your dial to find a "tab" range. It takes work, practice, and imagination, but honestly I feel like with the dual disc on the Tejon and some tinkering - you can be EXTREMELY accurate in identifying targets. I've got black marker all over my disc dials . . .

I can only say that this method works pretty darn good - oh yes, you will still dig some tabs(broken, mangled, or odd ones) , but you should save yourself 70 percent of them when you get used to it.

Oh yeah, another thing I do sometimes is dig about 10 tabs and get a sort of rough average of their depth and if it's like 4-5 inches - make a mental note of the tone it made (sound and shape). Then, when you get a similar tone - and combine this with the thumbing of the disc - you can fairly accurately identify a tab. If it's a softer / smaller(deeper) signal, it's likely an older coin.

I feel confident that I can tell the sound of a tab, though. After digging thousands I think it's safe to say that the sound has distinct characteristics. It's a sort of edgy sound - like sort of a "square" sound while a coin to me is honestly quite a "round" smooth sound. I know that's extremely vague - but I think that's the best way to describe it.

The only foolproof way???? Go to a site was not occupied after 1960. It's a shame people are such slobs with their pop tabs, isn't it?

Good luck,

Ian

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread