Cortes falsing??

THingfool

Feb 7, 2009
NE Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark,1280-x,Cortes, White's 6DB
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
After 2 years of sitting in closet due to surgery and water hunting, dusted off the Cortes today. I couldn't find my manual so don't think I got it ground balanced properly. I got a lot of false signals with nothing there. I had sensitivity at 8, disc at foil, GB about 11:00. First find was 1955 wheatie in yard I have hunted numerous times. Also got 1951 Rosie, rest was clad and junk, 2 quarters, 2 dimes, 2 nickels and 10 cents, 3 fired bullets and about 6 pieces pure junk. Any suggestions for making sure I GB properly?? Thanks for looking. Happy Easter and HH.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Move the switch to all-metal mode. Hold the detector up in the air and listen to the threshold sound. Then lower the detector to the ground and note whether the threshold gets softer, louder or stays the same. You want it to stay the same. So, if it gets louder or softer, turn the ground balance knob slightly. One way makes it louder, the other softer, I can't remember which but Anyway, you keep raising and lowering it and turning the ground balance knob until the threshold sound is the same whether the detector is in the air and on the ground.

Malox

Tenderfoot
Nov 26, 2008
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Ace 250
Think of the threshold as a volume knob on a radio. If it gets louder when you lower it, turn it down.(counter clockwise) If the sound lowers, turn it up. (clock wise) This works for me.
Jim

DD-777

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2007
Over the River and thru the Woods...
Detector(s) used
Team Tesoro
DD-777 said:
If threshold gets louder - turn counterclockwise. If threshold gets softer - turn clockwise. When balancing, make small turns of the knob. That should do the trick... :thumbsup:

I should have been a bit clearer with what I was trying to write (it was very late and I'm sticking to that excuse :D).

As SusanMN stated - flip it to all-metal mode, turn your threshold knob clockwise until you hear a steady, low hum (by the way - do this in an area where there are no targets). Raise your coil approximately 6 to 8 inches off the ground and "pump" it up and down towards the ground (be sure to keep the coil level during this procedure). If the threshold hum gets LOUDER - turn the ground balance knob COUNTERCLOCKWISE. If the threshold hum gets SOFTER (or fades out completely) - turn the ground balance knob CLOCKWISE. The idea is to get the threshold hum to a steady, constant sound - no change in "volume" when you move the coil up and down. It sounds complicated but once you do it a few times, you'll be back in the "swing" of things in no time ;D.
Depending on your soil conditions, you may find yourself re-balancing your machine a few times throughout a particular hunt.

As far as the "falsing" goes, hopefully this will take care of it. Be sure to check your coil connection and batteries too. They can certainly add to the headache... :thumbsup:

OP
OP
T

THingfool

Feb 7, 2009
NE Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark,1280-x,Cortes, White's 6DB
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thank you all for your info. Had I been thinkng(was also tired ) woulda just gone to Tesoro website and read the manua....lol. Again, thank you all and HH. :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread