Why is it Tesoro machines dont seem to get the respect they deserves??

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Why is it Tesoro machines don't seem to get the respect they deserves??

If they did all that they would lose me. I prefer performance without the bells and whistles, Tesoro does this better than anyone else. I think Kellyco not carrying them is one reason, also a lot of newer detectorists are lured by the visual ID and other gimmicks, thinking Tesoro not having them makes them inferior. I went through a phase where I felt I needed these, but found the beep and dig Tesoros and never looked back. To each there own, but Tesoro suits me fine the way they are.

PhilMont

Mar 31, 2005
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XL PRO, White's Coinmaster 5000/D, 6000/D, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Tesoro "Sand Shark"

I was thinking of selling off my White's XL PRO and going to the Tesoro Vaquero, Will I be making a mistake?

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon

I don't want to treat my detector like my cell phone. LCD is just something else to break. I'm sure companies have made plenty replacing these. .22 casings sound like coins on the Tejon. And that's at 6".
Newt

metalmolly

Nov 5, 2008

BuckleBoy said:
Tank69 said:
:icon_thumright: welcome to the life of a Tesoro owner , just a little helpful hint , take your knobs off an put small rubber "O" rings under them then reinstall them , thats actualy common problem with Tesoro I have been told ,I had the same problem an somebody on TNET passed that on to me an it works out great , Happy Hunting . :icon_thumleft:

Does it keep the "pot" from wearing out, or keep dirt from getting down in there, or both?

Do the knobs just pull straight off?

I'll try it if it'll improve the longevity of a detctor.

The o-rings keep you from accidentally changing the settings on your knobs when you bump them. You loosen the knobs by using an allen wrench in that little hole on the side of the knobs. After you loosen, the knobs pull off. Not sure of the size, I've got a set on a ring and I just found the size that worked by trial and error. And for the record, I love Tesoro!

goldnow

Apr 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero

"I don't want to treat my detector like my cell phone. LCD is just something else to break. I'm sure companies have made plenty replacing these. .22 casings sound like coins on the Tejon. And that's at 6".
Newt"

I have to agree on extra gadgets. It might be just me, but I've had a life of things not working only a few months after I purchased them. So, I went with the Tesoro Vaquero. I'll also have to agree that the Vaquero can not discriminate well. (Maybe I'm doing something wrong?). I can jack it up to max to silver, and still pull out a nail, casing, or foil. On the other hand, the higher priced/LCD Garrett I was loaned for a week before I got my Vaquero, rejected the gold ring I found with the Vaquero in my yard as a nail/iron, so I didn't dig it. That lesson is unmeasurable. I also found the LCD kept me watching the screen rather than digging. I always set the discrimination just around "nail/iron" then play with the discrimination when I get a hit.

Comparing the finds in my yard between the Garrett and the Vaquero; Besides the gold ring the Vaquero picked up, 6 1800's coins the Garrett missed by misrepresenting them as junk. Garrett got one coin at near surface level. Okay, I have more iron whatsits and bullet casings with the Vaquero than I want, but I also have more keepers. I do wish it had tones though.

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero

The-Bone said:
Seems as though most people feel that tesoro's don't get respect for the following reasons:

1. smallish or no display on most models
2. their machines are lighter than the competition's making them feel 'toy-like'
3. they do not make a model that can be ground balanced in discrimination mode that has a display screen

(i'd like to add the next three as my opinions)

4. they do not make a multi freq detector
5. they are not sold by Kellyco which, even though i am not kellyco's biggest fan, does an outstanding job of
marketing/advertising all the brands they sell
6. their machines look 'dated'..nothing at all flashy about them and the colors are drab

Now, for the more interesting question: What would Tesoro need to do to steal market share away from Garrett, White's
Minelab and Fisher?

For me the answer is this: i want a machine that has a GREAT display, VDI numbers to help in target identification, something
that is ground balanceable in discrimination mode(either manual or auto...not too picky), has a trigger pinpointer switch,
comes with a DD coil stock, has a great selection of coils, has a discriminator that works well and is programmable by VDI numbers(a progressive knob would be fine i just really like to know exactly what VDIs are being rejected), has 3 tones: low for iron mid for gold/nickel/tabs and high for silver/copper/clad. For an added bonus make the machine dual frequency and put a switch on it for silent/audible threshhold.

I'm sure that would add a few lbs. :D

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Its Kind of a toss up id machines have there uses. Ive found some good stuff with my Garrett Ace 250 and My Minelab Quattro wich are both fantastic id Detectors. Thats not to say a good tesoro like the Silver Umax or a Tejon or any none id tesoro wont hit the good stuff too. Just different animals. Tesoro is a good Company no doubt. :headbang:

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The-Bone said:
Seems as though most people feel that tesoro's don't get respect for the following reasons:

1. smallish or no display on most models
2. their machines are lighter than the competition's making them feel 'toy-like'
3. they do not make a model that can be ground balanced in discrimination mode that has a display screen

(i'd like to add the next three as my opinions)

5. they are not sold by Kellyco which, even though i am not kellyco's biggest fan, does an outstanding job of
marketing/advertising all the brands they sell
6. their machines look 'dated'..nothing at all flashy about them and the colors are drab

Now, for the more interesting question: What would Tesoro need to do to steal market share away from Garrett, White's
Minelab and Fisher?

For me the answer is this: i want a machine that has a GREAT display, VDI numbers to help in target identification, something
that is ground balanceable in discrimination mode(either manual or auto...not too picky), has a trigger pinpointer switch,
comes with a DD coil stock, has a great selection of coils, has a discriminator that works well and is programmable by VDI numbers(a progressive knob would be fine i just really like to know exactly what VDIs are being rejected), has 3 tones: low for iron mid for gold/nickel/tabs and high for silver/copper/clad. For an added bonus make the machine dual frequency and put a switch on it for silent/audible threshhold.

if they dont I'm in trouble mine has 3 defferent frequency settings on it FREQ1, FREQ2 and FREQ3

Attachments

• frontpaneleldorado.gif
    frontpaneleldorado.gif
    53.4 KB · Views: 3,325
  • frontpaneleldorado.gif
    frontpaneleldorado.gif
    53.4 KB · Views: 3,389

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

thud..thud..crack=gold
thud..thud..thud=aluminum
scratch..bonk..scratch..bonk=iron
bonk..bonk=coin
beeenk..beenk=silver
pop..thud..pop..thud=lead

man i hear all kinds of sounds with mine.....TESORO ANALOG ROCKS!

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tank69 said:
if they dont I'm in trouble mine has 3 defferent frequency settings on it FREQ1, FREQ2 and FREQ3

Ya can't use them all at the same time, and even if you could, they are all close enough to not have much of a positive effect.

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Those Freq are so other detectors dont interfeer with each other .Different than actual detector frequency. :headbang:

Bradley137

Aug 4, 2007
DIXIE
Detector(s) used
Minelab, White's, Fisher, Tesoro

I think what we're all looking for is the ultimate detector. And nobody's made it yet. That's why we all keep switching around. They all make good models, but when it comes to the "best" in all applications, it doesn't exist.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tesoro is near the back of the pack when it comes to sales, generally. That position is bound to garner some disrespect.

Until you use one for a few months.

andre

Jun 17, 2007

I have the Tesero Tiger Shark and the ACE 250. The ACE 250 I use in Parks, Dry Sand. The Tiger Shark for Lakes, Ocean and Civil War Hunting. The Tiger Shark is FANTASTIC! Frenchfry

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't own a Tesoro machine, but after reading the reviews here I will get one to go along with my Ace 250. I think the Tesoro has more positive feedback than many of the other brands previously mentioned. I will look into the Tiger Shark, so I can get some ocean goodies. Thaks for sharing all of your thoughts and helping me to decide which way to go :icon_thumleft:

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

spartacus53 said:
I don't own a Tesoro machine, but after reading the reviews here I will get one to go along with my Ace 250. I think the Tesoro has more positive feedback than many of the other brands previously mentioned. I will look into the Tiger Shark, so I can get some ocean goodies. Thaks for sharing all of your thoughts and helping me to decide which way to go :icon_thumleft:
Get something other than the Tiger Shark for the ocean. It isn't all its cracked up to be at the marine shore. In the fresh water, however, it is hard to beat.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dahunt,

They are in the back of the pack? On sales, you mean?

That's what happens when a machine is built to last.

B

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I like Teasoros :headbang: but my best Finds Have been with the Garrett Ace 250

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mrs.oroblanco said:
dahunt,

They are in the back of the pack? On sales, you mean?

That's what happens when a machine is built to last.

B
Yeah, that's right. If you look at the polls on ownership numbers, who owns what, Tesoro is always near the bottom.

Since they are more of a basic, performance oriented line of instruments, people are sort of weird about them. Tesoro doesn't go in for new models every time the moon changes phase, either, nor are they big on adding countless features.
This adds up to something of a 'purists mystique' about them.

The near fanatical devotion of their users also means many people don't understand them, and when people don't understand something - they turn it into a negative.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread