Why is it Tesoro machines dont seem to get the respect they deserves??

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Re: Why is it Tesoro machines don't seem to get the respect they deserves??

It's not that they don't get the respect they deserve. Tesoro users don't post and complain very often because they don't have time to.

They're out there finding treasure. :headbang:

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar

RPG said:
It's not that they don't get the respect they deserve. Tesoro users don't post and complain very often because they don't have time to.

Good answer and I don't even own one .

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)

Look in the want ads ,, ya dont see very many tesoros ,,,,hummmmmm I wonder why??????

nuff said!!!

arthur

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon

The owners make plenty as is. Companies like whites have to spend plenty of margin on advertising.
Newt

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tesoro hunters don't have to whine about iffy sounds or quality problems. They just, "Git'er Done."

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tesoro users also don't post to ask questions about how to operate their machines. They don't have to scroll through 15 digital screens, mumble hocus pocus terminology, curse, swear, and go to an electronics dictionary to figure out how to detect their first find. :wink:

-Buck

thorny196

Apr 11, 2007
Moyock, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Sand Shark

I was talking to Rusty (service manager) a month ago I had "E" mailed them a question about a Cortes (wanted to know if they though I should get a sniper coil with it) he called me back we talked for at least an hour and he told me 60 % of sales are overseas !! I of course asked about any new machines and got the standard answer he did not know. I also got the impression they were doing very well and the one son James I believe was not just busy but almost overwhelmed with his new job. I now have three Tesoro's the Tejon, Sand Shark and Cortes I would have the tiger shark but since it was not available (at the time) I bought the BHID 300. Buckleboy said it best I hate soft key menus (isn't it bad enough I have to use a computer all day) !! I love the switches and knobs . Tesoro's just do what they are suppose to and are so simple to use. Twice over the last two years I almost bought a Excalibur II and twice after reading posts on this site I decided against it because they seem to have too many issues and require service way too often. I wonder which company makes the most reliable detector I bet Tesoro would be right at the top. Nothing is worse then going to a site to hunt and having problems that would just bite!!! But I have never had to worry and I never bring a spare detector with me it never even crosses my mind! R/Mike

The-Bone

Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites Silver Eagle, BHID,M6,CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

this is an interesting post topic...i have been detecting off/on for about 15 years now and have yet to see a tesoro in the field (i live in Pa.). I've checked them out a time or two at the dealer's but never committed to one....it seems, to me at least, that the tesoros are more of a relic machine. Coin hunting seems to be the most popular niche in this hobby and the other manufacturers offer machines with more bells and whistles and much larger display screens. I was seriously looking into the cortes (i believe that is the model) until i read that it was only ground balanceable when in all metal mode..when you go into discriminate mode it was factory preset....I think tesoro would have a greater impact on the market if they made a true ground balanceable coin shooter with a really nice display screen....i agree totally with some of the comments about menu operated machines...i ended up with an m6 because i too like simplicity of knobs
hh
john

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

John, you don't have to worry about the ground balance on the Cortes or other Tesoro's. You ground balance in All metal and what ever setting you set acts that way in disc. It is not factory preset. Move to a new area and ground balance to a new setting and that setting carries over to the Disc. mode too.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sandman said:
John, you don't have to worry about the ground balance on the Cortes or other Tesoro's. You ground balance in All metal and what ever setting you set acts that way in disc. It is not factory preset. Move to a new area and ground balance to a new setting and that setting carries over to the Disc. mode too.

Absolutely true for the Cortes and Tejon.

The Cibola has a little secret too--one that other detectors do not have, and that is the fact that you can "hypertune" it. :)

If the Cibola had a manual ground balance and the Tejon's ability to work in heavy iron, it would be a dream machine.

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

truckinbutch said:
RPG said:

Good answer and I don't even own one .

Good answer. I don't own one yet but I can for see the UPS truck at my door in the not so distant future .

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Like many of us I began thinking I needed the latest thing on the market. So I bought a fancy new detector with lots of soft buttons to push and several tricky programs to operate it. Now I think I probably should have spent all that money on a Tesoro. I was thinking back and I can't remember anyone ever saying they didn't like something about their Tesoro. They seem to be all that with excellent depth too. Maybe I'll be investing again soon? Monty

ds6191

Dec 29, 2007
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

My brother and I share my silver umax,he hunts during the day and I hunt in the evenings. Between the two of us, him finding 90% of the finds,we have found over 575.00 this summer alone. It is a coin killer,we have found some old coins also.I honestly don't think people take it seriously because it doesn't have all the push button screens and fancy advertisements. I like it because it is easy to use.
When it's time to upgrade I will look at the Tesoro line again. Dan

The-Bone

Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites Silver Eagle, BHID,M6,CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sandman said:
this is from the cortes instruction manual:

Adjust Threshold
Flip the MODE Switch to the farthest right-hand position. This will put your Cortés into the ALL METAL Mode. The All Metal Mode is used to help pinpoint and handle highly mineralized ground. The Cortés uses a factory preset ground balance in the DISCRIMINATE Mode. This will work fine for most hunting conditions, but some areas may have a high enough mineral content to cause a loss of depth and sensitivity. The ALL METAL Mode and its adjustable ground balance was designed to allow you to work in those tougher conditions.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've had everything from two different White's to a Minelab.

I love my Tesoro. Hate all the buttons of some others, the "telling" of what's in the ground before you dig it up is a recipe for losing some really good stuff, and the Tesoro takes abuse - the kind where you use it all the time, it slides off the side of the truck while you're grabbing the rest of your gear, the leaving it in the sand while you go through your digger - all of it - and when I turn that knob on - she is still ready to go.

And, if it does have a problem (the dog ate the coil wire), it was wham, bam, fixed it at no charge ma'am!!!!!!!!!!!

B

Tesoro.jpg

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer

Sandman said:
The Tejon and the Vaquero are the only Tesoros that transfers the GB setting from the AM to the disc. mode. All the rest have a pre set GB including the Lobo ST.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:hello:

we had a beefed up version of the LST come out over here a couple of years ago :sign13: it's called the CMD Wolftrax :headbang: was wondering if any of you guys over there had seen it :icon_scratch:

It has a slightly higher hunting frequency :thumbsup:

SS

Attachments

• CMD Wolftrax.jpg
    CMD Wolftrax.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 3,442

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I am probably Tesoro's biggest fan. Believe me, I have tried a lot of detectors (yes, even Minelabs) and all things considered; simplicity, ruggedness, reliability, and affordability along with comparable depth and power on top end models, they cannot be beat.

The two things my Cibola loves are jewelry and relics. If you are a relic hunter, honestly I don't know why you would have anything else.

One other thing, I competition hunt too, and the Cibola with it's frequency shift switch eliminates any interference from other detectorists.

Long live Tesoro!

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

when I bought my first machine I had a few in the same price range an went with the Tesoro Eldorado , I will say I bought my machine second hand an did have a couple problems with it , the guys at Tesoro where more than happy to talk to me over the phone trying to correct it then when I sent it the shop for repairs it was serviced repaired an tested an reshipped all in 3 days awesome service ,I have an Ace 250 an the Eldorado an to be honest I'd sell this Ace 250 with out even a second thought but my Tesoro is here to stay , simple to use , finds anything an everything,decent depth,tones you can understand , no extra junk to deal with as far as controls , I love it , it's a great machine .

Attachments

• frontpaneleldorado.gif
    frontpaneleldorado.gif
    53.4 KB · Views: 4,882

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread