Why is it Tesoro machines dont seem to get the respect they deserves??

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Why is it Tesoro machines don't seem to get the respect they deserves??

Detectors like people are sometimes judged by how they look without knowing who they REALLY are. :laughing9:

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BuckleBoy said:
Sandman said:
John, you don't have to worry about the ground balance on the Cortes or other Tesoro's. You ground balance in All metal and what ever setting you set acts that way in disc. It is not factory preset. Move to a new area and ground balance to a new setting and that setting carries over to the Disc. mode too.

Absolutely true for the Cortes and Tejon.

The Cibola has a little secret too--one that other detectors do not have, and that is the fact that you can "hypertune" it. :)

If the Cibola had a manual ground balance and the Tejon's ability to work in heavy iron, it would be a dream machine.

Easy enough to add ground balance to it. It does void the warranty though.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I started out with an Eagle Spectrum. I liked a lot except for the weight. I know it's an old detector, but even the XLT's were basically the same. While it would hit on a gold if it were laying flat, you would have to have the coil almost on top of the ring if it were on edge. VDI would be all over the place too. Never had that problem with either my Eldorado or my Cutlass II.

Gonna order me a Sand Shark tomorrow ;D

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

thrillathahunt said:
Detectors like people are sometimes judged by how they look without knowing who they REALLY are. :laughing9:

I was in an instructor's course several years ago and we were told that most people decide whether or not they will like someone within the first seven seconds after they meet.

Just think how many times you have done this yourself. Not only for people but also for other itemsas well such as a detector or a coat or even a movie.

Bradley137

Aug 4, 2007
DIXIE
Detector(s) used
Minelab, White's, Fisher, Tesoro

I've been hunting for 20 yrs. I've had lot's of machines but I keep coming back to Tesoro. Why? $VALUE$ And anyone who's ever used Tesoro knows what I'm talking about. No other detector manufacturerer comes close to comparing. Side by side there are some detectors with the ability to compete in the field but on the bottom line they'll cost you 2x's the $$$$. But ONLY TESORO offers a lifetime warranty on their product. That alone should be enough to hook everyone.
First, I owned a Whites coinmaster 6000 (Way too complicated and drove me crazy trying to keep everything set just right) so I traded for the Bounty Hunter Big Bud (great detector easy to use). Went to Tesoro Eldorado when Big Bud died. (If bounty hunter had a warranty like Tesoro, I'd still have that machine). Then went to Fisher 1266 (great depth) but "junk hound" unlike the Tesoro's with their awesome discriminators. Fisher had a discriminator but it just didn't do the job so I went back to a Tesoro Lobo supertrac.(Very sensitive machine not suited to my hunting needs) I traded it for the original Tesoro Bandido (wonderful depth, discrimination and stability) then the Bandido 2.(Wish I still had those machines) Then came the computer age and the whites spectrum xlt. (Expensive and for what?? It still reminded me of the old White's I used to have. Always checking and rechecking the settings.) And my bandido still got better depth and discrimination in side by side comparisons in the real treasure hunting field so it was an easy decision on which one to keep. Next, I tried the Fisher 1270(Heavy as %%%, Ok depth, and still trashy) Gonnnne!!! I traded the Bandido 2 for the Tesoro Cortes(good I.D. machine with great discimination and good depth) Then came the Tejon (very deep, good discrimination, very sensitive, a little tricky but a great detector) Two years ago I bought a Minelab Explorer SE (great depth, silvermagnet, great discriminator but limited warranty) With the warranty running out the safe thing to do is go back to Tesoro.
Experience shows me that all brands find trash and treasure and some will do it better. "Value" doesn't mean cheap but most "bang for the buck" and on dollar for dollar comparison for the most desirable machine characteristics "Nobody even comes close to Tesoro" for weight, stability, easy to use, sensitive, deep, discrimination, and assessories. Not to mention the best part of all; They gurantee it for life.
I don't have anything against the full function user controls on the high dollar brands, but they don't make the detector any better. And what's worse is you'd think they'd build it to last a lifetime or at least 10 yrs. or even 5 yrs. I don't think that's too much to ask after all the money you have to pay.
This is not a Tesoro commercial but just a common experience among it's users.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:icon_thumright: very well put N.Ga.Digger :icon_thumright:

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero

This has turned out to be a very good thread. Tesoro machines are finally getting some respect here. :icon_sunny:

The guys at Tesoro would be proud of this thread and I am proud to be a Tesoro owner x3. :icon_thumright:

Randy

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:icon_thumright: I agree with you RPG turned out very good

goldnow

Apr 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero

I just completed my first month with my new Tesoro Vaquero. After a long term investigation of which machine make and model I wanted for my first dirt diver I ordered it , C.O.D., over the internet and never saw one on person before it arrived. When the courier arrived with the box, I held it for a split second, I demanded I be allowed to open the box to see if there was anything inside before I paid, as it was so light , I couldn't believe it.

After opening the box, again I had a shock, the electronic box was so small, I was sure they sent me the wrong machine. Nope. It says "Vaquero". Oh, maybe it will gain some weight when I install the battery. Nope. The battery was already in it. Maybe when I put the coil on it will gain some impressive weight. Nope. that didn't do it either. So, I read the manual with some buyer's remorse sitting on my shoulder, took it out to the yard, and instantly bing, ding, dong, beep...There were targets everywhere. I've been over this ground three times with a heavy Garrett a friend loaned me a few months ago for a week. (Found a lot of rusty unidentifiable iron, and one penny on the surface.)

Cut to the chase;..I have just changed the first battery out on the Vaquero with around 15/17 hours in the field). I have found a circa 1500 silver coin, and an 18k gold ring (my avatar), all in places the more expensive Garrett had looked at numerous times. I also have a bucket of bronze, brass and iron hardware, as well, and around 6 1800 coins.

Today, I re-learned super tuning, as before I just wanted to clear out the yard in regular mode, learn the machine, and not dig the lawn up to bad before wifey saw some results. I found a 2" thin nail and a hot rock, at 12 inches down (measured), plus the inch above the ground for the swing, around an hour ago. In super tune, I couldn't disc it out even in max, but maybe that was the hot rock. I'll experiment with that this afternoon.

Conclusion. I think I made the best buy possible. Light as a feather, doesn't stop finding things. The disc is not as good as I'd hope with heavy iron, but I'm not complaining, and I think that is the norm for even the most expensive machines. I do have to check the knobs once in awhile to make sure they are where I want them set as I still move them when I set it down to dig. But I wouldn't change a thing, as I love the ability to "thumb" the nobs, leaving my other hand free to carry the digger/pinpointer. I still need a few more moments to learn the pinpointing, but I'm right-on more than 50% of the time, and max. off by a 2 inches , always towards the 2 o'clock position of the hole for some reason..

Now to answer this thread's question..The reason you don't see many around in the USA much, is because when you first pick up a Tesoro, you can't believe it's worth its weight. It really does, on first impression, feel and look like a toy.This is Tesoro's fault.. They should use the incredible weightlessness in their lead advertising sales pitch. I have yet to feel a single painful pinge in my arm, like I did almost within a half hour with the Garrett. I think that is as important as the lifetime guarantee, depth, and ease of use the Tesoro's offer, that a new buyer would want to know.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:icon_thumright: welcome to the life of a Tesoro owner , just a little helpful hint , take your knobs off an put small rubber "O" rings under them then reinstall them , thats actualy common problem with Tesoro I have been told ,I had the same problem an somebody on TNET passed that on to me an it works out great , Happy Hunting . :icon_thumleft:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tank69 said:
:icon_thumright: welcome to the life of a Tesoro owner , just a little helpful hint , take your knobs off an put small rubber "O" rings under them then reinstall them , thats actualy common problem with Tesoro I have been told ,I had the same problem an somebody on TNET passed that on to me an it works out great , Happy Hunting . :icon_thumleft:

Does it keep the "pot" from wearing out, or keep dirt from getting down in there, or both?

Do the knobs just pull straight off?

I'll try it if it'll improve the longevity of a detctor.

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There good machines they just dont have the multy tones sounds like some other brands and most of the lower priced tesoros dont have Digital ids wich manny lower end other brand units have like the Fisher F2 or the Garret Ace 250 for example. To gets these features in a Tesoro you have to spend twice as much. Like the Deleon for example. But tesoros are still great machines and tend to have good frequencys to them as well . :headbang:

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sov GT-Explorer II-Goldbug Pro-Eurotek Pro-Classic III-Golden µMAX-1212-x-SH MKII-
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

About a year ago, I bought my first Minelab detector : a Quattro.

The results were a noticeable increase of gold finds on wet sand beaches, and a dramatic decrease of my coins finds on the dry sand beaches.

The dry beaches over here are littered with iron, and Mr Q doesn't like that.

So I bought myself a Compadre, my first Tesoro ever, and started hunting the dry beaches.

The results are awesome ! More coins than I ever found with any other MD at those places.

So I'll probably never hunt for coins again with other Md's than Tesoroes.

HH

jersey devl

Mar 2, 2008
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro: Cortes,Tiger Shark,& Vaquero

Bought my 2nd Tesoro yesterday....proud new owner of a Cortes,the tiger shark hasnt left my side all summer,so now im good at the beaches and on the dry...TESORO FOR LIFE for me now!

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer

scrooge said:
Why is it Tesoro machines don't seem to get the respect they deserves??
[/.quote]Where I come from they do.quote

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other

I hear mo B ------g about Minelabs, Bounty Hunters, and Whites...

...than I do about Nautiluses, Tesoros, and Fishers. Mostly people complain about the high end junkers with all the toys, whistles, and bells.

And of the lot, "Explorer" owners complain the most, and DFX comes in at a strong second. Hardly anybody ever complains about Tesoros, save for those using manual ground balance.

LL

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I own a Minelab Quattro and its it the Cadillac of machines. Auto everything makes it nice and easy to hunt. Its good on coins & jewlry. Of corse tesoros are great machines as well. The lightness and higher frequency of the Tesoros is nice. Something manny companys dont have light machines. Minelabs are pretty heavy except for there xterra line. Fishers are nice and light. Whites not shure but some maybee heavy. And garretts are pretty heavy except the Ace. Not shure why all companys cant make um light and good frequencys like tesoro?

The-Bone

Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites Silver Eagle, BHID,M6,CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Seems as though most people feel that tesoro's don't get respect for the following reasons:

1. smallish or no display on most models
2. their machines are lighter than the competition's making them feel 'toy-like'
3. they do not make a model that can be ground balanced in discrimination mode that has a display screen

(i'd like to add the next three as my opinions)

4. they do not make a multi freq detector
5. they are not sold by Kellyco which, even though i am not kellyco's biggest fan, does an outstanding job of
marketing/advertising all the brands they sell
6. their machines look 'dated'..nothing at all flashy about them and the colors are drab

Now, for the more interesting question: What would Tesoro need to do to steal market share away from Garrett, White's
Minelab and Fisher?

For me the answer is this: i want a machine that has a GREAT display, VDI numbers to help in target identification, something
that is ground balanceable in discrimination mode(either manual or auto...not too picky), has a trigger pinpointer switch,
comes with a DD coil stock, has a great selection of coils, has a discriminator that works well and is programmable by VDI numbers(a progressive knob would be fine i just really like to know exactly what VDIs are being rejected), has 3 tones: low for iron mid for gold/nickel/tabs and high for silver/copper/clad. For an added bonus make the machine dual frequency and put a switch on it for silent/audible threshhold.

jersey devl

Mar 2, 2008
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro: Cortes,Tiger Shark,& Vaquero

Bone...Id buy that one too! :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread