Silver Umax with 11" coil

NWLouisianian

Greenie
Mar 1, 2007
NW Louisiana
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Silver Umax with 11" coil

I just purchased an 11" coil for my silver umax. went out to an old ghost town with my wife and found several 1901 indian heads and about 15 wheat pennies, an old pocket knife (part of), an old token that had a dog chasing a deer on it, a very old police button, and some huge cast iron lid to an old stove.
The coil seemed to go really deep. the cast iron lid was about a foot and a half deep and some coins were 8". Does anyone here have experience with this coil? i am wondering how it compares to some of the other large coils for this machine.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Silver Umax with 11" coil

Congrats on the finds with the 11" coil on the Tesoro. If the coil works for you great. Most want a big coil for depth then complain that there is to much trash to get under the coil all at once and they can't tell what is there. Sorta like taking a huge firearm out hunting and complaining it blows up the squirrels.

I think you found a happy marriage between the coil an detector for where you wanted to use it. :thumbsup:

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008

NWLouisianian:

Good finds. What did that coil set you back? Also was the stove lid dated?

lastleg

OP
OP
N

NWLouisianian

Greenie
Mar 1, 2007
NW Louisiana
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

Sandman said:
Congrats on the finds with the 11" coil on the Tesoro. If the coil works for you great. Most want a big coil for depth then complain that there is to much trash to get under the coil all at once and they can't tell what is there. Sorta like taking a huge firearm out hunting and complaining it blows up the squirrels.

I think you found a happy marriage between the coil an detector for where you wanted to use it. :thumbsup:

It really does! the depth is there and it's so easy to pinpoint with. i also have an ace 250 with the standard coil, 4" coil, and the 9x12 (i think that's right). This Tesoro, even with the 11" coil is soooooo much easier to use. It just always seemed when using the ACE 250, pinpointing wasn't consistant. This assures me i made the right decision!

OP
OP
N

NWLouisianian

Greenie
Mar 1, 2007
NW Louisiana
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

lastleg said:
NWLouisianian:

Good finds. What did that coil set you back? Also was the stove lid dated?

lastleg

The coil cost me about $80 or $90. Bruce Treasure in shreveport, la is a great place to do business with!
Not sure about the stove lid yet because it hasn't been cleaned yet. Hopefully this week it will be. Bruce, the guy i bought my detector from thought it was really old. he said it's one of the oldest he's seen. He was kind enough to take me and my wife out and even let her use a demo unit!

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008

NWLouisianan:

I just cleaned up four stove lids I detected. My favorite is dated 1862.
Another has a curved design with no marks. One has a raised M 8 and
the last has a 637 in a box with OO joined and an upside down N or U J.
Not sure if it stands for New Jersey or what. Still looking for a site for cast
iron stove lids, I'll bet there are thousands of different markings.

lastleg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread