Guess You Got To Dig Everything?

tabdog

Aug 16, 2008
Bryant Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Euro Sabre, Vaquero, Silver Sabre uMax and 2 Compadres
Hi Folks,

I met up with some folks for a hunt.,,,,, Before we got
started I was detectin a few targets with my Compadre.

Someone looked at it and said, " I guess you got to dig
everything with that, hugh?"

I found a target that registered as a copper penny or a
dime, but it was too big to be a coin. I said " look here!!
Check this with your MDs and see what you get."

I told them it desced out as a dime or penny, but it was
a pop top or something bigger.

One guy checked it with his MXT and said it was a dime
or penny. I said " it is too big aint it?"

He checked it again and said " yaw, I guess it is kind of
big."

A guy checked it with a DFX and said it was a dime or
penny 4 inches deep.

I said , " it is about 4 inches, but it aint a dime or penny.
It is too big."

A couple of Yeller Fellers checked it and same thing, a
dime or penny.

I dug it up,

10-17-12.jpg

It aint tha penny. That is for a size reference.

It is that piece of metal siding???

They got kind of quiet after that.

Happy Huntin,

Tabdog

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To each his own Tapdog. Your detector found it and the others relied on their screens to report what it could be. Those screens help us find good targets that others leave as junk. So long as we're having fun............. :thumbsup:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took the tesoro out for a little walk tonight in my yard. Dug one Cw bullets knock your muffs off signal/ Another hard hit was an old 22 shell casing about 6 inches deep. I was blocking iron. Dug two penneys but modern and almost un recognisable to be so young. Alum siding just a sliver is loud on a tesoro but so can be a bullet or brass. I like the beep. It shows me where the target it thats all I care about. And they go deep very deep. I like the run and gun machine but to each his own.
HH
TnMtns

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TnMountains said:
Alum siding just a sliver is loud on a tesoro but so can be a bullet or brass.

I find alum siding tunes out around the same place as zincolns, maybe a little below, unless it's a really big piece. So if you're after coins, you definitely don't have to dig everything. But you never know when one of those tab signals is going to be... not a tab. Just ask Tabdog. ;D

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Great post TD.

Simple explanation w/a pic says it all...

Aluminum siding, canslaw, pulltabs or bits of tabs... fascinating how they approximate yellow metal jewelry to even the finest metal detectors !

And, Thanks to Artz for bringing us a new desktop photo !

Best
rmptr

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro
Discarded alluminun siding trimmings will fool me if I have my Minelab or my Tesoro. It can also cut you. Been there.

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
There is a yard down the road that is on the trashy side but it produces several nice coins and has very old history. At first I started cherry picking it but then decided to take it further and just clean all of the trash out to see what I can find then. When I cherry picked it I notched out anything that wasn't in coin range. When I decided to just clean it up I found several more coins that I would have missed other wise. Today I hit it for a short hunt. I hit a small patch of scattered can slaw that came in just above the nickel range. I finally finished diggin the slaw out and stood up to run the coil over the area again just to make sure I got it all. I got another signal that hit right above a nickel. I hated having to go back down for trash but wanted to clean out it out. I pinpointed and then dropped to my knees. The target was lower than the can slaw. I pulled the target from the hole and it was a nice ring that is very old. It looks like a wedding band but it isn't made of gold. Not sure what kind of material it is but it's old.
Had I not started digging everything out of this yard I never would have found it.

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
Very well put, Swamp hunter. I was using a DFX for a while and relied on the screen. I found some nice things, but figured there should be more. I then tried relying on the sound and then determined wether to dig or not and my finds actually increased. Yes the trashed increased some, but when using the screen as reference, I found alot of jewlery, rings, pendants, etc. that were reading bottle cap, pull tab, etc... At times you will find good stuff amongst the trash as well, so relying on a screen to much may just leave that special find for the next guy. Main thing here is, learn your detector and keep it fun and this great hobby will give back!

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
Yes sir! You have to learn the machine. I have always been hung up on depth but this year has been a real eye opener for me. I am taking my time to learn instead of just trying to get done to where I can get to the next site. This year I slowed down, took my time and really spent some time with each one of my machines. There will always be a place for depth in my arsenal since I do hunt several fields and swamps where there is not much trash but for the most part I didn't need depth this year in the parks and yards.
It's taken me some time but I am learning more and more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread