Tesoro Sand/Tiger Shark

photopro

Oct 20, 2009
Texas
Hello all Tesoro users
I currently have a Silver Saber II and am in the market for another detector. I am interested in the Sand or Tiger Shark for use at the Beach/in the water. I would like to know your experience with them in places other than the beach, are they beach only units or are they good for the more standard MD situations ie:texas dirt, coins/relics as well?
I live in East Texas were I would primarily use it but also the Texas coast.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are two different types of detectors. The Sand Shark is an excellent ocean beach and water detector for saltwater. In the grass or woods, you'll wrap it around a tree if you are like most people because it responds really good to long iron (nails).

The Tiger Shark now has a Saltwater mode but depending on the area at the beaches this might not be enough to halt instability. I had no trouble with the Tiger Shark in FL or along most of the east coast till I hit Virginia Beach. So for Saltwater with out the fuss of constantly adjusting the GB I would use the Sand Shark which is a Pulse unit. You can't easily dial down the Sensitivity on the TS as that control is inside the box.

For dry land searching the Tiger Shark will do it well, but being a water detector it is heavier than the good land units Tesoro makes. The land detectors also have a pinpoint VCO button that makes locating the target easier.

For the most fun you really need a couple of detectors just like a golfer needs different clubs to play well. :coffee2:

ToniSteve

May 23, 2009
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
2 Tesoro Tiger Sharks, Sovereign GT, Excaliber 1000, XL Pro, IDX Pro with Mods, M-6, Minelab MusketeerAdvantage,
I have found no need for a pinpoint button on the Tiger Shark, it pinpoints great in Disc mode. And I am relatively new to this too!

Steve

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman is right, the Tiger Shark is heavy, but it is easy to hip mount. I use a web belt and canteen holder for mine. I took the bracket for pole mounting off it and it fits nicely.

JKPK1

Sep 27, 2009
Florida
Our house has two Sand Sharks, a his and hers.

This being a somewhat addictive hobby, we'll probably get a Tiger Shark next spring.

In regards to the Sand Shark, I've used it in dry sand / soil and it will still hit pretty deep.

In the wet sand on our South Florida East Coast beaches, it lives up to the remarks mentioning you will get tired digging.

PK

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve, the Tiger Shark does not pinpoint at all. You can narrow it down pretty good to about an inch area which is fine at a beach, but in the grass the real pinpoint mode of land detectors nails it to a dime size point where you can touch the coin with one insert of a probe like a screwdriver or brass rod. If I seem nit picky, I am sorry. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread