Bought a Cortes...... now its time to learn the machine

cybercop106

Sep 26, 2005
Back in the MO Ozarks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes; Garrett GTAx 1000, Bounty Hunter Tracker 2D/707 and a pair of Tracker II models
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought a Cortes...... now it's time to learn the machine

Been using BH Tracker IIs for the last few years mostly, waiting to retire before I spent much on a higher end machine. Don't get me wrong, I've found a whole lot of silver and gold jewelry and coins, and some pretty unique stuff too. Other than the depth capabilities not being optimal and it's dislike for being near salt water, the T2 does a good job if you know how it works. And the fact I never paid more than $50 for any of the Trackers doesn't hurt either. They were a lot of fun on the cheap!!
Anyway, I finally settled on a Cortes as my selection for a 'better' detector. Snagged one cheap on eBay, like new in the box, for under $425 incl S&H.
I grew up using a Whites Coin Master and then various Bounty Hunters when I got back into the sport a few years back. Got Dad a Pioneer 505 and used it a couple times, along with his Discovery 3000, but pretty much all my experience is with "knobs and noises"....... so now I have to "learn the screen". I've gotten accustomed to telling a lot about a reading by the tone, when compared to the Mode and Discrimination settings. I mostly ignore the Sensitivity Meter, on one of my T2's it stopped working anyway...... :icon_scratch:
I've read quite a bit about the Cortes on different TH sites and in all the reviews I could find, and I figure I can go back over the areas I covered with the BH and get the deeper stuff. Comparing the tones with the screen readings should make determinations about the source more accurate too.
Any advice or info on nuances about the Cortes would be welcomed. I selected it because it has control knobs, I'm not ready for 'programming' a detector and I figure the company that offers a lifetime warranty makes a superior product.
Thanks in advance for any assistance. -Jim

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Bought a Cortes...... now it's time to learn the machine

Hi Jim, you will like the Tesoro. I don't like screens even though I have a couple with them. The Cortez will also act up in the wet saltwater sand, but you can try turning down the sens. There are many coils available for it too. One thing that will help you learn faster is to lay various targets down on ground free of metal and seeing where they drop out with the discriminate knob and what you see on the screen. Don't forget a nail on top of a gold ring and a pull tab and a gold ring, silver ring.

Good Luck, :hello:
Sandman

OP
OP
cybercop106

cybercop106

Sep 26, 2005
Back in the MO Ozarks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes; Garrett GTAx 1000, Bounty Hunter Tracker 2D/707 and a pair of Tracker II models
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks Sandman!
I was looking at a Headhunter Pirate for saltwater beach and surf detecting. I won't do it consistently, since I'm at least 30 mins from the Gulf, so I figured the Pirate would be a good choice in terms of price and capability. I noticed in a previous post you said had one and didn't like it? What would you recommend in the price range $300 and under?

Tykit

Jan 20, 2007
Middlesex, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Fisher

Jim, The Cortes is a great all-around machine, and it has knobs too. The meter has a lot of info. You can look at the top of the screen where it might show NICKLE-TAB-RING to get a broad range of targets that the target could be. Or look at the bars to narrow the target info down a little more. Or look at the ID number. The ID numbers are the most sensitive and so they will jump around somewhat. The bars are more steady. I noticed that deep weak signals in disc mode may not give a signal in SUM mode. Thats because the machine is processing a lot more info in SUM mode and some signal power is lost, at least thats how I understand it. I had the 10x12 concentric coil for a while, was too chattery, sold it. The notches will knock out most tabs and still detect ladies gold rings but not mens. My favorite coils are the 8x9 and 3x18. The 3x18 is great in tot lots, don't need to go deep in tot lots. HH, Dave

OP
OP
cybercop106

cybercop106

Sep 26, 2005
Back in the MO Ozarks
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeah..... right now I'm trying to figure out how to use the NOTCH filter with the DISCRIMINATE function to differentiate between pull tabs and gold rings as much as possible. This will take a while.
I didn't really pay attention before to how many different stinking kind of pull tabs are out there!!

Tykit

Jan 20, 2007
Middlesex, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Fisher

The notches will knock out mens gold rings and tabs, ladies rings still beep.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions