question about information in tesoro tones...

sandtrout

Jan 27, 2010
i've started with an ace 250 with the image display but am finding that most of the time the coins i find are different than what the machine is telling me. i'm considering a vaquero as my next (upgrade) hunting machine...my question is....can you get so good on a "tone only" detector that you can tell what's in the ground before you dig? dan the so cal newbie!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With a practiced ear you can get a pretty good guess, but things of a like conductivity can produce the same sound. Add to this the depth or angle the target is on changes the sound. The Vequero does not ID the target with different tones. Just the "beep" sound the way it ramps up or down after passing over the target. You have to learn your detector.

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
The Vaquero is a good machine. I recomend it because it is my machine of choice.

No metal detector can tell you what is in the ground before you dig. If you decide to go with the Vaquero, my advice is to take a year and learn it. A good set of head phones is a must. At first you will only hear beeps. Then, after some time, you will start to hear a difference in those beeps. A piece of large iron sounds almost like a silver coin. Sometimes a square nail sounds like a silver coin. You got to dig those no matter what detector your using.

If you buy the vaquero, learn it well and it will be the best dector for you. :thumbsup:

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
patience is everything, if you learn to thumb your disc control plus learn the language of the machine you will go far, for instance iron comes off very harsh or abrupt sounding where a coin is very smooth and repeatable and if its a deep signal it will be faint sounding and if good it well be repeatable as well pull tabs sound smooth at first but if go different angles some times they will break up or crackle where most decent targets are nice and solid and smooth!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
RPG said:
The Vaquero is a good machine. I recomend it because it is my machine of choice.

No metal detector can tell you what is in the ground before you dig. If you decide to go with the Vaquero, my advice is to take a year and learn it. A good set of head phones is a must. At first you will only hear beeps. Then, after some time, you will start to hear a difference in those beeps. A piece of large iron sounds almost like a silver coin. Sometimes a square nail sounds like a silver coin. You got to dig those no matter what detector your using.

If you buy the vaquero, learn it well and it will be the best dector for you. :thumbsup:
I hear people say all the time take a year to learn it. To me that makes no sense to me at all... I never had a detector that took me a year to learn. The truth is if you put enought hours in with it you can learn it in a week. Unless you get a explorer or dfx or something like that then it will take you a while to learn it. But if you take a year to learn a detector man are you a slow learner . If it would take me that long to learn a detector i would not buy it.To me that just scares people away from buying detectors and there is no truth to it . It should take no one that long to learn a detector that kind of advice is just not good.............It will not take you a year....................... And that is all i have to say .

space_weaseal

Feb 15, 2010
Texas
I recently got the Vaquero and it is a amazing machine that will find everything that's in the ground. I am starting to get the hang of thumbing the disc to get a idea of whats under the coil. Just pratice and it wont take you long to get it down. Just be ready to piss off your buddies when you out hunt them. And when everyone else is sore and tired, you will still be swinging the v.

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
got that right weasel !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions