Please help with brand new Cortes

vhs07

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
Victoria, Texas
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Cortez
I came home to see my new Tesoro Cortes was delivered and sitting at my front door. I assembled the unit and can’t seem to get it to act right. In the Discrimination mode, if I understand correctly, should have the word “discriminate” displayed. Mine doesn’t, it just reads “iron of foil” then the display starts jumping all over the place. Now this is while I’m air testing. I even went outside to air test and it did the same thing. Am I doing something wrong?

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
check your coil connections and bateries and also check if your in a area of high EMF that will raise alot of havac with most detectors then check your sensitivity settings also if nothing seems to help either call your dealer or Tesoro factory, the giffords are great people to talk with.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jersey devl

Mar 2, 2008
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro: Cortes,Tiger Shark,& Vaquero
Mine does the same thing ,I talked to Vince about it after it had been in for retuning,and I cant remember exactly what he said about it but I remember knowing it wasnt of any concern. Mine rarely ever just shows DISC or ALL METAL...I just know that when it does, there are no metal objects in the ground, or any nearby EMI...its a very sensitive machine.
Take it out for a spin try some air testing and see how well it locks on a dime/quarter,you should get some good air test "depth" with the Cortes....mine can ID a quarter with the coil being almost knee high in an air test. If its chattering a spurting randomly without locking on a known good target...well then you have problems.

THingfool

Feb 7, 2009
NE Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark,1280-x,Cortes, White's 6DB
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Like jersey said, most times it doesn't show discriminate except when turn on or if get overload signal sometimes does. Nothing to worry about if you are getting good signals. HH.

Ed

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread