Problems with me or my new used Sand Shark

waterfalljay

Jul 23, 2006
Western NC Mtns
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Minelab Safari, Explorer SE Pro, & Excallibur II
Help! I received a used Sand Shark via USPS today & I'm having problems.
I have set the knobs by the manual and as soon as I move the knob from OFF to VCO (or any setting) the machine gives off 9 or 10 loud beeps. Then threshold volume is too low to hear unless turned to max. I cannot get a signal off anything metal. I have tried 2 new sets of batteries & this makes no difference. It was insured, so I'm not out any $. I've taken off the coil cover & checked the coil connection. What am I missing Folks? :dontknow:
Thanks!
-Jay

firstbiggestmost

Oct 29, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excall II, Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure if I understand exactly what your saying, but if you turn the machine off and set pulse width, volume, and threshold to 12 o' Clock then turn on the machine to VCO do you still get the battery test beeps? When you turn the threshold knob all the way to the left it should "click" and give you a battery test (9-10- beeps is very good) The machine will not respond to targets in batt test mode. I don’t know if that’s what’s going on but if you use the settings above and still cant get a signal, or if the battery test still goes off when you power on the machine you have a problem with the unit. Hope that helps H.H.

OP
OP
waterfalljay

waterfalljay

Jul 23, 2006
Western NC Mtns
Detector(s) used
firstbiggestmost said:
I'm not sure if I understand exactly what your saying, but if you turn the machine off and set pulse width, volume, and threshold to 12 o' Clock then turn on the machine to VCO do you still get the battery test beeps? When you turn the threshold knob all the way to the left it should "click" and give you a battery test (9-10- beeps is very good) The machine will not respond to targets in batt test mode. I don’t know if that’s what’s going on but if you use the settings above and still cant get a signal, or if the battery test still goes off when you power on the machine you have a problem with the unit. Hope that helps H.H.
Thanks for replying!
It appears that the batt test/f-adjust knob is broken. It looks fine but pulls out of the housing for about a 1/2 inch, and spins freely with no "click" spot.
The unit seems to be stuck in battery test mode! :'(

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
When you buy them used they always say .....like new ....works great...... a 9 out of 10..... then you get it and the dam thing don't work. I am almost a scared to buy a used detector any more...

Attachments

• 294x220.jpg
    294x220.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 322
  • 294x220.jpg
    294x220.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 318

firstbiggestmost

Oct 29, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
waterfalljay said:
Thanks for replying!
It appears that the batt test/f-adjust knob is broken. It looks fine but pulls out of the housing for about a 1/2 inch, and spins freely with no "click" spot.
The unit seems to be stuck in battery test mode! :'(

That stinks! Hope you get it worked out, the sand shark is a real nice machine.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you buy it off a web board, craigslist, ebay, ????. I have bought 8 used detectors, 1 ebay, other 7 off of the web boards and all worked perfectly on arrival.....

OP
OP
waterfalljay

waterfalljay

Jul 23, 2006
Western NC Mtns
Detector(s) used
Treasure_Hunter said:
Did you buy it off a web board, craigslist, ebay, ????. I have bought 8 used detectors, 1 ebay, other 7 off of the web boards and all worked perfectly on arrival.....
I bought it on ebay. I do not believe the seller knowingly sold me a bad machine.
Either he powered it up & thought all was well or the USPS damaged it in transit. I get a lot of packages,
and a high percentage are damaged by shippers (some have actually had tire tracks on them!). >:(
It's insured and I'll get my $ back - I was just trying to identify the problem.
Being stuck in batt check mode at least explains all the symptoms & eliminates the "operator error" explanation! ;D

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on how it was packaged the damage could have happen durring shipping so it is very possible........

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Keppy said:
When you buy them used they always say .....like new ....works great...... a 9 out of 10..... then you get it and the dam thing don't work. I am almost a scared to buy a used detector any more...
I agree Kep.
I am seeing this more and more lately. I just feel really bad for the people with limited funds that buy a used detector that is malfunctioned or soon to be... With no warranty folks, it's best to buy new. And not every one can, that's why I offered a payment plan with no interest or fees.If you have to send the unit in to the manufacturer to get fixed it may cost you more in the long run.. And even after it comes back , your still stuck with no warranty for future malfunctions.
We never know what the machine went through previously.
I have seen machines with ants and spiders occupying the inside of control boxes that have been stored in closets. Ants and spiders pee too!
Electronics and moisture is a bad mix.
I always say, "be careful buying ANY THING used in the electronics field.
I get PM's daily from folks asking, do you sell used machines?
I opt not to for this very reason.

I hope this helps folks in the future

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Keppy said:
I agree Kep.
I am seeing this more and more lately. I just feel really bad for the people with limited funds that buy a used detector that is malfunctioned or soon to be... With no warranty folks, it's best to buy new. If you have to send it in to the manufacturer to get fixed it may cost you more in the long run.. And even after it comes back , your still stuck with no warranty for future malfunctions.
I have seen machines with ants and spiders occupying the inside of control boxes that have been stored in closets. Ants and spiders pee too!
This is why we offered people the payment plan option.

OP
OP
waterfalljay

waterfalljay

Jul 23, 2006
Western NC Mtns
Detector(s) used
4-H said:
Keppy said:
I agree Kep.
I am seeing this more and more lately. I just feel really bad for the people with limited funds that buy a used detector that is malfunctioned or soon to be... With no warranty folks, it's best to buy new. If you have to send it in to the manufacturer to get fixed it may cost you more in the long run.. And even after it comes back , your still stuck with no warranty for future malfunctions.
This is why we offered people the payment plan option.

I get this, and I would have much rather bought a new Tiger Shark from you had it been possible, my friend. :thumbsup:
Unfortunately we're all still waiting for Tesoro to find strong waterproof connectors... :(

firstbiggestmost

Oct 29, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
waterfalljay said:
I get this, and I would have much rather bought a new Tiger Shark from you had it been possible, my friend. :thumbsup:
Unfortunately we're all still waiting for Tesoro to find strong waterproof connectors... :(

On that note, as I understand it Tesoro has everything available except the connector that attaches directly to the coil (not the control box). So if you can find a coil with a reusable (good condition) connector, you should be able to get a brand new Sand Shark. In your case there is no problem at all with getting a new control box or the parts to fix your broken switch. :icon_thumright:

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
firstbiggestmost said:
waterfalljay said:

On that note, as I understand it Tesoro has everything available except the connector that attaches directly to the coil (not the control box). So if you can find a coil with a reusable (good condition) connector, you should be able to get a brand new Sand Shark. In your case there is no problem at all with getting a new control box or the parts to fix your broken switch. :icon_thumright:
Good advise!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Tesoro could fix yours by the sound of what is wrong with it............. 4 H that is what scares me when i look at used detectors i might get it for $400.00 then have to put another $200.00 or $300.00 in it plus shipping...... I should have got a new one in the first place.....

Attachments

• largelogotigershark.gif
    largelogotigershark.gif
    8.8 KB · Views: 234
    largelogotigershark.gif
    8.8 KB · Views: 237
OP
OP
waterfalljay

waterfalljay

Jul 23, 2006
Western NC Mtns
Detector(s) used
My Sand Shark has left on a trip to Tesoro Service Dept in Prescott AZ! :thumbsup:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
waterfalljay said:
My Sand Shark has left on a trip to Tesoro Service Dept in Prescott AZ! :thumbsup:
Good move.. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:

Attachments

largelogotigershark.gif
    8.8 KB · Views: 193
    largelogotigershark.gif
    8.8 KB · Views: 199

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
4-H said:
I am seeing this more and more lately. I just feel really bad for the people with limited funds that buy a used detector that is malfunctioned or soon to be... With no warranty folks, it's best to buy new.
(clipped the rest)

Being a dealer that sells new detectors I can see and understand your point of view.
However, even new machines can be damaged in shipment.
Do you replace them immediately or offer a refund when that happens?
You have a very good reputation as a dealer and I am sure you would do the right thing.

I sell used detectors ... not as a business ... but to trade around and try different machines.
I would ... and have ... given a refund on damaged machines.
Please dont put all of us respectable and reputable people into the same bucket as those that sell questionable merchandise and dont stand behind it ... it sounds like a very cheap shot.

Willee

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Keppy said:
Tesoro could fix yours by the sound of what is wrong with it............. 4 H that is what scares me when i look at used detectors i might get it for $400.00 then have to put another $200.00 or $300.00 in it plus shipping...... I should have got a new one in the first place.....

That is a concern Keppy, but believe me, there are a lot of us out here that sell our used detectors because we want to try something new and will stand behind what we sell even though we are not dealers.
Buying a used detector from a reputable person is very wise as it saves money to start with and keeps the value if you decide to sell it yourself later on.
Personalty, I could never have afforded to purchase and try all the high end detectors if I had to buy them new.
No dealer would send me one just to try out and return if I did not like it.
Very few even take trade ins.
I buy them used , use them for a while, then sell or trade them for something different.
I know the real condition of that detector and let the buyer know of any problems right up front.

Buying new makes sense if you know exactly what you want to start with.
Go read the right-ups and reviews for the new detectors and you be very confused as they all say theirs is the best.
The adds that some dealers write is even worse.
The only way you will know if a detector is right for you is to use it in the field and if you have chosen wrong it is an expensive mistake.
At which point YOU become the seller of a used detector for a loss!

Willee

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I have sold a lot of used detectors myself for i buy a lot of used detectors but it does worry me at times.................. The last one i got was a used Excalibur from Tnet here i got it for $600.00 would have been $1200.00 new..................... And it was like new worked great and looked about a 9 out of a 10. .........................I will buy from Tnet but i did get burned from Ebay more than once......

Attachments

• 192x235.jpg
    192x235.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 183
  • 192x235.jpg
    192x235.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 175

JKPK1

Sep 27, 2009
Florida
I know you have already sent the unit in, just curious, did you make certain the knob was secure on the shaft.

FWIW, I bought the wife a new Sand Shark last year, brand new the coil was acting up. Tesoro and Rileys Treasure Gold in Ft Lauderdale 100% stood behind the unit. Swapped a coil and got her, both the detector and wife, working.

PK

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread