What do you like/dislike about your Tejon?

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've had a Garrett Ace 250 for about a year and a half now. It's a nice little machine but I am finding it does have it's limits, especially in dealing with sites that are littered with iron. So, I'm ready for an upgrade and am looking at a Tejon. I mostly hunt old cellar holes in the woods and hunt wooded areas surrounding historic places. I like digging old stuff, regardless of monetary value. I'll dig any signal above iron around cellar holes and all signals in the open woods. So, it seems the Tejon would be my kind of machine.

So, I'm curious to hear from Tejon owners. What do you like about the Tejon and what don't you like about it?

Thanks for any replies.
-Swartzie

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prefer to use the Tejon instead of my DFX mainly because I don't use the screen but mainly because of it's weight and very fast recovery between target. However it will still pick up iron unless you disc it out just like all detectors. But for relics you should dig iron too. It is super easy to ground balance so don't worry about that.

For just coin hunting I set the main disc knob to refect iron and test it with a iron mail. The second disc knob I set to disc out pull tabs. This way I can check the target with the second disc control and if it still beeps it is probably a coin or higher conductive target. If I am on beach sand and it disc out on second level it could be a pull tab or gold ring I figure.

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
Swartzie said:
I've had a Garrett Ace 250 for about a year and a half now. It's a nice little machine but I am finding it does have it's limits, especially in dealing with sites that are littered with iron. So, I'm ready for an upgrade and am looking at a Tejon. I mostly hunt old cellar holes in the woods and hunt wooded areas surrounding historic places. I like digging old stuff, regardless of monetary value. I'll dig any signal above iron around cellar holes and all signals in the open woods. So, it seems the Tejon would be my kind of machine.

So, I'm curious to hear from Tejon owners. What do you like about the Tejon and what don't you like about it?

Thanks for any replies.
-Swartzie

O.K., First off the Tejon has depth. It has the power to go down there for those deep coins and relics. It also has dual discriminators for handling the ID of targets. The trigger mode switching is very intuitive, fast and effective. The adjustable tone, wide band ground balance, and the light weight are just"frosting on the cake". As Sandman said the super fast recovery time of the detector will hit targets heavily masked by iron targets.
I have a hunting buddy that is re-hunting an area with a Tejon that he did with a Minelab SE. He is getting old coins that were missed by the SE due to the SE's slow recovery time. He is using the 5.75" concentric and is doing 12" on coins. Joe

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if you ever got the Pro version in the States (or the Wolftrax version of the Lobo) but its a better machine than the original for older sites.

Tesoro implemented a wider range on the discrimination knob down at the low end where we need it and threw in a fixed ground balance setting to boot for those who wanted to be more switch on and go. Handy for beginners or if your lending out the detector. As experience grows switch to the adjustable ground balance.

One problem that was reported was that the detector really liked high amperage batteries which transformed the detector. Buying a "good" brand didn't help as some of those were pretty low. Andy in Bristol tried various brands and found Energisers to work the best.

lazooro

Sep 27, 2008
Sezana
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, TESORO TEJON
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
I prefer to use the Tejon instead of my DFX mainly because I don't use the screen but mainly because of it's weight and very fast recovery between target. However it will still pick up iron unless you disc it out just like all detectors. But for relics you should dig iron too. It is super easy to ground balance so don't worry about that.

For just coin hunting I set the main disc knob to refect iron and test it with a iron mail. The second disc knob I set to disc out pull tabs. This way I can check the target with the second disc control and if it still beeps it is probably a coin or higher conductive target. If I am on beach sand and it disc out on second level it could be a pull tab or gold ring I figure.

nice

but with my tejon i still miss some decent depth with such settings. :-\
not sure why!

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
Another tone or two would be nice. A tone for ferrous and a tone for nonferrous would be nice. Light wieght, simple and deep. Pinpoints better than any detector I have ever used. Overall a great detector :coffee2:

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
John (Ma) said:
Another tone or two would be nice.
If they could make a Tejon with the tones of a golden I would buy it in a second. I wish Tesoro would throw us coin hunters a bone and stop saving all the depth for their relic machines.

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting that you ask about moving from an ACE 250 to the Tejon, as that's what I did. I loved the ACE and it found me some great silver/copper coins and nice relics, but I was frustrated with the depth, or lack of it. I got the biggest coil, but still wondered. Then I got the Tejon and found out what real depth and precision was, along with sensitivity. I love the Tejon. But I will also admit to wishing for different tones, I really missed that from the ACE. Oh ya, I bought some cheaper ($40) Garret Master Sound headphones with the Tejon. I thought that they would be temporary junkers for a few months until I bought better. Turns out that they are tough, multi adjustable and hassle free. I'd buy another set in a heart beat. I crank them up for those deeper signals, works great. :thumbsup:

chainsaw

Mar 6, 2008
Dislike?? Whats to dislike? The Tejon is awsome. I am a dealer of several different brand detectors and have six different detectors that I could use, some that cost as much as 3 times of the Tejon, but I use the Tejon 95% of the time. Nothing else really compares to its overall reliability.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread