Is my Tesoro Bandido II uMax operating correctly ?

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello !

I'm not sure if my B2uMax is operating correctly. See Example below.

First, a little background.

My regular hunting mode is All Metal, with Threshold set to low hum and Ground Balance dead-on, or a little positive if that's the best I can achieve and the Tune toggle in Norm position.

I'm in the habit of turning the detector OFF while digging and pinpointing a target, primarily to save battery power, but also to eliminate cross-talk between the coil and my Vibra-Probe pinpointer.

Example:
After I turn the machine ON to resume hunting, I usually have to do one of two things to regain Threshold hum, either use the Mode toggle to Retune or switch the Tune toggle from Norm to Auto, then after Threshold hum stabilizes in a few seconds, back to Norm.

Maybe what I'm experiencing is due to turning the machine OFF while digging, but isn't that what I should be doing ?

Do any of you experience the same thing with the B2uMax ?

Thanks,

Todd

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems this is normal when you turn the detector off as it has to be reset when turned on again. Suggest not turning it off to dig a target and just carry an extra battery. As for the cross talk, set the detector farther away or throw away the probe and stick to a manual screw driver to save the probe for extra deep targets.

OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sandman said:
Seems this is normal when you turn the detector off as it has to be reset when turned on again. Suggest not turning it off to dig a target and just carry an extra battery. As for the cross talk, set the detector farther away or throw away the probe and stick to a manual screw driver to save the probe for extra deep targets.

Hi Sandman !

Thanks for your explanations and suggestions. I'll try most of what you said, however, I love my Vibra-Probe and would never throw it away ! Within it's range, it quickly lets me know exactly where the target is in the plug or hole, which is a big help, otherwise I may have to dig a little more. LOL Guess it has me spoiled. ;D

Be careful out there in the ocean my friend. I hope the Gold & Silver Gods bless your socks off !

Todd

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)
unless you are spending 30 min. per hole just leave your detector on,, I use a vibra -probe ,and I just make sure that the coil is pointed away from my hole , and all is good!!

H.H.

Arthur

OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
artzstuff1 said:
unless you are spending 30 min. per hole just leave your detector on,, I use a vibra -probe ,and I just make sure that the coil is pointed away from my hole , and all is good!!

H.H.

Arthur

Thanks Arthur.......good points !

If my B2uMax seems to be indicating a shallow target, I pinpoint and mark spot with golf Tee, then before digging, check around Tee with Vibra-Probe to see if target is real close to surface. If it is, I can retrieve with tip of Lesche digger and avoid cutting a plug. Less work and less damage to grass. Love my V-P 570 !

Todd

CRAZY-TEXICAN

Jun 15, 2009
Carrollton Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Quattro MP , Minelab Musketeer modified , Tesoro Bandido II micromax , Garrett Groundhog , D-Tex Koin King BFO
After i ground balance mine i set it to "auto tune" when hunting in all metal mode , as much as the battery lasts on these i just leave it on besides it only takes a minute to dig a hole. Only adjustment i make is to the threshold .. I would switch to manual when gold prospecting because its more sensitive to smaller objects.......

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
If I am thinking about the right probe isnt the frequency adjustable on the probe itself. Maybe you could adjust it so it doesnt interfere. Seeya Neilo

OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CRAZY-TEXICAN said:
After i ground balance mine i set it to "auto tune" when hunting in all metal mode , as much as the battery lasts on these i just leave it on besides it only takes a minute to dig a hole. Only adjustment i make is to the threshold .. I would switch to manual when gold prospecting because its more sensitive to smaller objects.......

Hi CRAZY-TEXICAN !

Thanks for the tips. :thumbsup:

I see you have the Tesoro Bandido II micromax. Mine is the uMax. Don't know if they both operate the same, but for the sake of the following, I'll assume they do.

Regarding setting your detector to "Auto" Tune when hunting in AM mode, this is referred to as the dynamic method of Ground Balancing on page 6-4 of Robert H. Sickler's book titled DETECTORIST. He says this is his preferred method, as opposed to the usual static method. He also says that the dynamic method is less confusing, faster and just as accurate as the static method.

If you don't have the above book, I highly recommend it, as there are many unique tips, accompanied by his excellent sketches, that I haven't found in any other MD'ing books or magazines and I have a large collection ! He is the graphic artist who designed the series of sketches depicting how to dig a target, that you often see in other publications. He also has his own website: www.rhsdesign.com . After reading the book, I'm sure all will agree, Bob Sickler is truly a master detectorist , writer and graphic artist !

ToddB64

OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
neilo said:
If I am thinking about the right probe isnt the frequency adjustable on the probe itself. Maybe you could adjust it so it doesnt interfere. Seeya Neilo

Hi neilo !

Thanks for "dropping by" ! ;D

You might be thinking of the Garrett PRO-POINTER. I just checked the specifications on their website and it stated that the unit "does not interfere with your metal detector!" and this is done automatically somehow.

The Treasure Products "Vibra-Probe" 570 (which I have) and the 580 both work on Pulse Induction (PI) technology and are fully automatic (no user adjustment needed.). See specifications for the newer model below.

Vibra-Probe 580 Specifications:
Tip-only detection
Tilt on & off
Pulse Induction (PI) technology
Communicates with vibration
Automatic calibration
Low-battery indicator
Waterproof - Submersible to 100 feet (30 meters)
Auto-off (after one minute) battery saver

The only other pinpointer that comes to mind that you might be thinking of is the Tesoro Treasure Mate. It has adjustable Ground Balancing controls. Of course Tesoro products come with a Lifetime warranty to the original purchaser, which is a real plus against competition, but right now the Garrett PRO-POINTER is kicking a-- !

It's been years since I did a total review of pinpointer prices & features, so this is all I can recall at the moment.

Happy Hunting !
ToddB64

CRAZY-TEXICAN

Jun 15, 2009
Carrollton Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Quattro MP , Minelab Musketeer modified , Tesoro Bandido II micromax , Garrett Groundhog , D-Tex Koin King BFO
ToddB64 said:
CRAZY-TEXICAN said:

Hi CRAZY-TEXICAN !

I see you have the Tesoro Bandido II micromax. Mine is the uMax. Don't know if they both operate the same, but for the sake of the following, I'll assume they do.

Regarding setting your detector to "Auto" Tune when hunting in AM mode, this is referred to as the dynamic method of Ground Balancing on page 6-4 of Robert H. Sickler's book titled DETECTORIST. He says this is his preferred method, as opposed to the usual static method. He also says that the dynamic method is less confusing, faster and just as accurate as the static method.

If you don't have the above book, I highly recommend it, as there are many unique tips, accompanied by his excellent sketches, that I haven't found in any other MD'ing books or magazines and I have a large collection ! He is the graphic artist who designed the series of sketches depicting how to dig a target, that you often see in other publications. He also has his own website: www.rhsdesign.com . After reading the book, I'm sure all will agree, Bob Sickler is truly a master detectorist , writer and graphic artist !

ToddB64
yes the umax and micromax is the same .
Getting rid of mine because i dont like it , too twitchy for what i need it ..

reed88

Dec 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
bandido 2 umax
Question is , why are you turning off the bandido II umax , the battery on mine lasts forever , i only change my battery when the bandido starts acting up going crazy like what we have in the white house ! :>)
Reed

OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
reed88 said:
Question is , why are you turning off the bandido II umax , the battery on mine lasts forever , i only change my battery when the bandido starts acting up going crazy like what we have in the white house ! :>)
Reed

Hi reed88 !

About the white house..........I agree !

Based on comments received , I've decided NOT to turn my B2uMax off in the future.
Guess I was being overly cautious.

Also, I'll point the coil away from my Vibra-Probe to avoid crosstalk. Such an obvious solution......Ijust never thought of it ! :-[

Thanks to everyone for the help.

ToddB64

old_newbie

Tenderfoot
Jun 19, 2014
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster gt, Fisher F2, Tesoro bandido 2 umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi CRAZY-TEXICAN !

If you don't have the above book, I highly recommend it, as there are many unique tips, accompanied by his excellent sketches, that I haven't found in any other MD'ing books or magazines and I have a large collection ! He is the graphic artist who designed the series of sketches depicting how to dig a target, that you often see in other publications. He also has his own website: Robert H. Sickler Graphic Design . After reading the book, I'm sure all will agree, Bob Sickler is truly a master detectorist , writer and graphic artist !

ToddB64

Not being a know it all, the u in umax is actually the symbol for micro and not a small u. I was corrected by a long time tesoro user. I have to say I bought my bandido 2 micromax at a steal. I have a whites coinmaster GT and a Fisher F2. Both are great all around machines, but my Tesoro by far is the deepest and most sensitive machines on any surface. Once you set the ground balance, just experiment with different sensitivity and discrimination. The bandido is a coin magnet. With certain settings it hits hard on coins and chirps on garbage. Accidentally cracked the shaft on the threshold knob. Happened 2 days ago and I am lost without it. Surprising how many don't like Tesoro's. It aggravated me for a few days, but once you get the hang of ground balancing, it is fantastic. I barely dig any junk anymore and if I do there is usually next to a coin.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never shut my detector(s) off to retrieve a target and still have very good battery life. In fact, my theory is - if battery life is a problem, good, that means I've been able to get out and detect a lot.
luvsdux

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread