Tip for Tesoro Owners

adams449

May 13, 2010
Since Tesoro is one of the few Manufacturers that still use knobs, here is a useful tip that I have done to several of Tesoros and is worth the time. The knobs on mine move very freely. I like to know that they stay where i set them. My knobs use very small allen head set screws. I went to the plumbing isle at the local hardware store and bought a box of 20 small, fat 'O'rings. Less than $2. I removed each knob and put one or more 'O'rings over the stem of the control. When I replaced the knobs, I pressed them down with pressure to compress the 'O'ring, before tightening down the set screw. Now all controls still turn freely, but stay where I put them, even when bumped slightly. Good Hunting!!

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: yep thats a very common Tesoro trick its been mentioned a few times but still a good one .

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They actually serve 2 purposes. One, as you described and the second as a shield against dust and moisture getting down the shafts into the box. Now, take a wide strip of clear tape (packaging tape works fine) and put it over the speaker holes to keep dust and moisture out of the speaker housing, too.

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome ideas that I had missed somehow along the way. I always use headphones so completely covering the speaker is an idea I will try. And I noticed recently that my knob for +/- grd bal just keeps spinning, I guess the set screw is loose. Thanks guys. Shane Tesoro Cortes

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
shanegalang,

Hey, I was wondering just the other day how you were doing with your detecting. Yup, check them set screws on a regular basis, you could lose the knob and all. Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread