Proud New Owner of a Silver uMax

ddbowdoin

Aug 30, 2010
Boston, MA
now, just learning to use this thing... completely new to the hobby. I took it out for a few hours on saturday and sunday this past weekend and found a 1991 quarter, some random iron relics (bolt, nail, mess of metal) and some barbed wire. I have a hard time finding the exact location and have to get used to what is a true signal and chatter. I can certainly see how a pinpointer is a solid tool, and will save me a hell of a lot of time. Just have to save for one.

Any advice on setting this machine up?

edit: just looking to see how people set their machines up when looking for particular items... thanks guys!

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well here's the deal what type of hunting do you mainly do? coin or jewelry or relics? or all purpose the setting i would do and recomend is put your disc level where foil comes in and that way you will keep the nickel in and some of the bigger gold rings brass items bullets IH pennies which are bronze, but you will still get that ocasional bottle cap or pull tab because of the aluminum and size but usually on a pull tab there will be abrupt sound or has a slight crackle towards the end of the signal hope this helps!

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
Great choice on your detector! You'll have alot of fun with it and I am sure you'll pull some great finds :thumbsup:

OP
OP
D

ddbowdoin

Aug 30, 2010
Boston, MA
John (Ma) said:
Great choice on your detector! You'll have alot of fun with it and I am sure you'll pull some great finds :thumbsup:

any suggestions for upgrades? being on a budget sucks so I am looking for the most essential upgrades that could help.

so far, its pretty awesome but the discrimination doesnt work... I set it to foil or tab and when signals come in they are tabs and foil. Haha

OP
OP
D

ddbowdoin

Aug 30, 2010
Boston, MA
thump7 said:
The silver was my first detector, I had a little trouble in the start digging lots of trash. Once I figured it out I still dug trash but not near as much. Put disc on the "o" of foil and sensitivity on 7. Unless you are relic hunting just want to hear those deep faint signals put the sensitivity way up into the red. I run mine on max in the fields and ignore all the chattering, you will find that there is a fifference between all the unstable noise and a real signal. With practice you will be able guess what your target will be 75% - 90% of the time. I dig alot of iffy signals and every once in a while I get a real keeper for my efforts. Good luck.

I placed the setting on foil, sensitivity at 7 and I dug about 12 cans in a row last night. It was pretty frusrtating! haha... oh well, have to learn to listen for true signals

OP
OP
D

ddbowdoin

Aug 30, 2010
Boston, MA
thump7 said:
ddbowdoin said:
thump7 said:
The silver was my first detector, I had a little trouble in the start digging lots of trash. Once I figured it out I still dug trash but not near as much. Put disc on the "o" of foil and sensitivity on 7. Unless you are relic hunting just want to hear those deep faint signals put the sensitivity way up into the red. I run mine on max in the fields and ignore all the chattering, you will find that there is a fifference between all the unstable noise and a real signal. With practice you will be able guess what your target will be 75% - 90% of the time. I dig alot of iffy signals and every once in a while I get a real keeper for my efforts. Good luck.

I placed the setting on foil, sensitivity at 7 and I dug about 12 cans in a row last night. It was pretty frusrtating! haha... oh well, have to learn to listen for true signals

All I can say is keep at it. Cans are nearly impossible to disc out for any machine because of size and high conductivity. The next time you get a huge signal lift your coil away from the ground, if you can lift it more than 4 or 5 inches it is most likely an overload signal.

thanks for the heads up, so far all iron relics but no coins! I am having a hard time finding places to hunt, seems all the historical wooded areas are just so freqeunted bt drinking teens

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread