Tesoro Metal Detectors

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Vaq finds plenty of clad, no silver yet but I'm still learning how to use it. Never used the G U-M so I can't comment on that other than to say it may be my next purchase.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both are very good with the Golden having more features to play with.

ok2raise

Dec 30, 2008
here
Detector(s) used
DEALER OF Garrett, & Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both are excellant machines, i have been doing some field test with these machines each one has their own features both has good depth as far as coin i havent done much with relics yet this summer with them cause temp stayed around 100. Myself i like the vaquero it has the pin point button . I also found a small nugget with. even though its not a gold machine

Monkeywrangler2

Feb 12, 2010
Never having used either (my Tesoro background is Cibola and DeLeon), I would choose the Golden for the multi-tones. I was debating between the Golden and the DeLeon, and I found a used DeLeon for cheap so I went for visual ID not Tone ID.

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a Golden and it was a lot of fun. It wasn't especially deep, but was a very capable coinshooter for the first 6-8".

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
I've owned both and still use the Vaq. As mentioned its more about what features your looking for, except for the fact that the Vaq definitely gets deeper. The soil here is pretty mild, your can run the sens fairly high. The Golden seems to max at about 5-6" on average, stock donut coil, disc at foil, sens at 7-9, with a few coins hitting at 7+ inches. The V will regularly get 6-8" no problems, I have dug dimes and other smaller targets at 10+ inches, stock coil, disc at foil+, sens at 7-9. Golden has tones which I like when coin shooting, I didn't like the tone seperation on the golden though, and the middle tones overlap too much, the notch feature took some time to figure out, my nickel count went up using it. I sold it and got a F5. Both the Vaq and Golden pinpoint well(I X the target), the V might be a little tighter(could be the coil). The Vaq has ground balance which is really nice especially at the beach in wet sand, sens at about 3-5. If salt beaches or relic hunting are in your plans I would get the Vaq, if not, you can't really go wrong with either.

Chibuya

Dec 8, 2006
Hollywood, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter, Tesoro Vaquero
I just purchased a used Vac and really like it so far. I have used Whites and the Garrett 250 in the past. As far as the pinpoint feature, for me it's not that important because the Vac X's so tight I don't really need the pinpoint. I'm still getting used to not having any tones. I have a feeling I will eventually upgrade to a tone or display machine but first I want to get to know this one well and hopefully find SOMETHING worthwhile. So far only wheats, but then that's been my experience so far regardless of what machine I use... :dontknow: Searching the wrong areas I guess.

I'm in California so I was concerned out the mineral content of the soil here, that's another reason I went with the Vac for the ground balancing feature which is a piece of cake after doing it the first few times.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a regular user of the Vaq's pin-pointer feature so I use the old 'one inch at a time' method. Works fairly well but I'll be asking Santa for a real one.

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Over the years I have tried just about every style detector Tesoro makes and the Golden uMax is one of my favorites.
I like the different tones letting my ears hear the discrimination rather than looking at a meter.
For coins you would dig only medium and high tones.
The high tones are just about 100% always coins with the exception of some silver jewelry.

Of course all this is just personal preference and you might like a single tone for all targets better.

So to answer your question I would say between the two, the Golden uMax.

I do rag on Tesoro sometimes but they make quality products and really take care of their customers needing service to their detectors.
Ya cant really go wrong buying one.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pretty much agree with Willee. The one thing I don't like about the Golden is if you try to use a larger coil than stock it throws off the tones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread