if waterproofed, which tesoro land machine would be.....

nadcarves

May 24, 2006
central ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
:icon_thumright: The Compadre. In an Otter box.....Has good depth and sensitivity to detect small items... My Otterbox just came in, and I have a pair of used U/ W phones...Once I work over what I want to hit, they are loaners..The Tiger shark is back, for fresh water, that is the machine..My Compotter will cost in the $160 range for everything, including the detector,box,phones, and hardware ,to mount and seal.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nadcarves said:
:icon_thumright: The Compadre. In an Otter box.....Has good depth and sensitivity to detect small items... My Otterbox just came in, and I have a pair of used U/ W phones...Once I work over what I want to hit, they are loaners..The Tiger shark is back, for fresh water, that is the machine..My Compotter will cost in the $160 range for everything, including the detector,box,phones, and hardware ,to mount and seal.

The Compadre is not going to be a good choice if your talking saltwater beaches, the salt mineralization will be too much for it in the wet sand and in the water where the good stuff is.....

I think the Tesoro Vaquero would be a lot better choice, but with the cost, you may as well get the Tiger Shark...

nadcarves

May 24, 2006
central ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
I am going to have it together in a week or so..Otter Box is at Chad's house...Really just need some minor stuff, time and it will be done.. Unless Tab Dog decides to do the water test....(lakes warm up earlier in Arkie Land, than they do in Ahia).........there will be a wait between assembly,use, and reporting how things went......However, I do know where several Frats used to have a tug of War, with a stream in the middle ..This was back in the late 1800's to, I guess ,the 30' or 40's. Maybe, someone going Winter no swing crazy may decide to jump in....... By the way, this detector will not locate the Mastodon molars up stream..Reason, no metallic fillings you know... :laughing9:...........

OP
OP
seeker41

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
nadcarves said:

The Compadre is not going to be a good choice if your talking saltwater beaches, the salt mineralization will be too much for it in the wet sand and in the water where the good stuff is.....

I think the Tesoro Vaquero would be a lot better choice, but with the cost, you may as well get the Tiger Shark...

ok, heres the deal......i have three water machines, 1. an excal with a 10x12 sef coil 2. a cz20 with 8 inch coil. and a tigershark with 8 inch coil that i just bought!

the tigershark is able to see much smaller gold charms, ear rings and chains than my other two machines! i dont think i will like using it because it only has one tone. and i cant find a larger coil for it.

i would like to modify any tesoro land machine that has the same sensitivity to small gold as the tigershark and uses two or three tones. i would be hunting freshwater with the machine.

i have heard great things about the old royal sabre and the compadre but i know nothing about the other models. some have said,its not so much the operating frequency but coil design and circuit design that give some of the units there great sensetivity to micro-gold??
thanks, chuck.

nadcarves

May 24, 2006
central ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Those are all fine machines.. If I had one, I'd use the Tiger shark, but I don't..I have a limited number of places to hit, and only for a short time.. I get cold in the water...As you age, cold / coolness cause problems...Also, the Compotter is very cost effective ,and should be a fun toy to use.. Chad has his done,sent me a picture, and will be bringing the box over tomorrow....When I finish, there will be the same detector, same box, but two different approaches to getting them done. Wonder if there isn't an Arkness Monster down in Tab Dog Country?? There is a Nerkness Monster at Black Hand Gorge..While people used to throw coins in, there is an under water ledge that may cause problems.. :dontknow:

OP
OP
seeker41

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"I get cold in the water...As you age, cold / coolness cause problems"

::) i agree! :laughing7:

cddz75

Greenie
Dec 30, 2010
Central Ohio
Detector(s) used
Current:
CTX 3030, CF77, XP Deus, Compadre

Previous:
Etrac, G2, T2, DMC II-B, Sovereign GT, Garret Infinium, BH 505
After trading off my INfinium(I hated that thing!) I was lacking a water machine for this summer. After talking with NAD several times and checking out the Compadre, I figured I would make one as well, that way NAD and I didn't have to fight over it . Finally got around to getting the water proof boxes and my Compadre in I went to work on it. Got hold of some cable glands and some SS hardware I finished it up last night. Went searching through my basement for a straight rod, I did not like where I would have to mount the box on the stock shaft. I ended up finding an old extending car wash brush, perfect diameter aluminum shaft on it. It could be 6 inches longer, but I think I will order a couple of sections of aluminum tubbing to accommodate my height. Hope to wire NAD's up this week for him. Here are a few crappy camera shots of it completed, I figure I will get some windshield sealant to seal the cable glands and mounting hardware just to be safe, not that I plan on diving with it or anything, but it will do for what we are going to be doing with them.

Attachments

• shaft.jpg
    shaft.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 630
  • controlbox.jpg
    controlbox.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 1,409
  • Controlbox1.jpg
    Controlbox1.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 771
  • boxmounting.jpg
    boxmounting.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 649

nadcarves

May 24, 2006
central ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Chad stopped over with his unit.. Impressed, super professional job..I am going to have to build mine the same way, since the standard Tesoro shaft causes the box to be mounted very low..Unit weight is now 3.6 pounds... One interesting thing is that when you open the Compotter to turn it on, you can stash your keys in the box. Getting them out will remind you to turn the unit off. If anyone has a set of U'W phones for sale, Chad can use them...My machine will be a loaner, but I expect something left as security Tejon. Etrac, T-2,.AR-15...Us old timers can get hard nosed about people taking care of our stuff. :icon_thumright:

nadcarves

May 24, 2006
central ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Found a program to make the pictures smaller.Chad and the Compotter.Sort of looks like a 60's model detector..Mine is splattered all over my work bench...Wonder how many pieces I can leave out and have it still work..

Attachments

• 3064d72983103e351299355697.jpg
    3064d72983103e351299355697.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 1,136

Arid-Zone-A-seeker

Jan 26, 2010
High Country Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, Tesoro LOBO Supertrac, Garrett Infinium,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey,,Cool project,,,Wonder how this would work with my garrett gold stinger?
Could also thro in a couple of cigars and keep-em dry.

mudfoot

May 8, 2010
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350, Tesoro Vaquero, Silver uMax, Compadre
That looks really nice.

On these boxed up detectors though, do you just turn it on & set it when you begin and then just leave it that way?

I'm curious if you just dig everything that beeps. Where would you set the discrimination for doing this type of hunting?

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
on a beach just wading or floating i'd dig everything

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are we talking "SALTwater," or freshwater? No single frequency machine (Even the AT PRO) works well on 95-percent of saltwater beaches. They ALL give up depth and sensitivity.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I were going to "MacGyver" a land machine into a water machine, I would definitely use a machine with manual gb. That would be the Vaquero I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
I use Lobo and Tejon in fresh water, they beat the crap out of tigershark (lobo with the 10x12" coil and tejon with the normal factory coil).

Lobo with the big 10x12" coin is a killer in fresh water, I dont think anything comes near it in depth and sensitivity for small gold but also for deep rings its a killer.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use Lobo and Tejon in fresh water, they beat the crap out of tigershark (lobo with the 10x12" coil and tejon with the normal factory coil).

Lobo with the big 10x12" coin is a killer in fresh water, I dont think anything comes near it in depth and sensitivity for small gold but also for deep rings its a killer.

Really? Do you mean wading on shallow water or have you made detectors "water resistant"?

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
Really? Do you mean wading on shallow water or have you made detectors "water resistant"?

the cable of the coil is long enough to put the control box either around the neck OR under the drysuit.

so I can go practically anywhere with my detector, til my neck even, while the control box remains dry

but generally I carry the control box on a belt around the neck, that way I can go as deep as the chest which is perfect.

people: tigershark is a JOKE, it has no depth at all.

a 6gr 18k wedding band gives a clear signal in air test with the lobo 10x12" coil at 40-45cm (1.5ft), try doing the same with tigershark, you are not likely to surpass 7-8".

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the cable of the coil is long enough to put the control box either around the neck OR under the drysuit.

so I can go practically anywhere with my detector, til my neck even, while the control box remains dry

but generally I carry the control box on a belt around the neck, that way I can go as deep as the chest which is perfect.

people: tigershark is a JOKE, it has no depth at all.

a 6gr 18k wedding band gives a clear signal in air test with the lobo 10x12" coil at 40-45cm (1.5ft), try doing the same with tigershark, you are not likely to surpass 7-8".

Thanks for the insight! I guess the lobo unclicks like tiger from pole?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread