Golden µMax Notch ???

Elwood P. Dowd

Sep 12, 2008

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Elwood, think of the notch as a "moving doorway" that allows you to dial in extra disc to a select group of targets. Like on my Tejon, I have bobby pins and small nails disc with normal disc. Then the detector sounds off on all above this conductivity. Then while scanning a pull tab I turn the Notch knob till the pull tab is reduced and from then on it will respond to just above nails to nickels and not sound off on pull tabs but still sound off on coins or items that have more conductivity than pull tabs. Hope this helps.

daddyflea

Greenie
Mar 18, 2011
Elwood I am no expert at all but this is what I found.

Using Notch set on wide knocks out everything between a Nickle and a true copper penny. You often lose Zinc Pennies.

Using notch on narrow knocks out everything between Nickle and Zinc Pennies.

I usually tune my disc knob to just below Nickles. I then set my Notch to hit good on a nickle. I use mine on Narrow because I want to find all the money including Zinc Pennies. It is frustrating to me and leaves doubt when I see a Zinc Penny laying on top and my Machine doe not pick it up.

Setting up like this knocks out most of the pull tabs.

If you get tired of Pull Tabs like I do sometimes, just set the Notch to the middle being Off and move your Disc knob to just below a zinc penny. This knocks out all Nickles, Jewlrey, and Pull tabs. Every signal you get will then be a Coin.

All things are not guaranteed, occasionally you will still get a misshaped pull tab sneak in just like on Notch, but most of them are eliminated. Remember rings and Pull Tabs are essentially the same. Hope this helps. This is a scale showing where the notch hits.

Wide Notch Null
Beep Notch Notch Beep Beep
Nickle Pull Tab Zinc Penny Copper Penny Dime

Narrow Notch Null
Beep Notch Beep
Nickle Pull Tab Zinc Penny

Hope this helped you!!!

Tykit

Jan 20, 2007
Middlesex, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Fisher
When in Notch mode turn Notch Width fully CCW to knock out more lighter stuff (tab tails). Also turn Threshold down too. The Notch mode and the regular Disc mode can both be used at the same time. Notch Mode will still detect ladies gold rings, but no heavy gold rings.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread