Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ol' Smudge went dirt fishing this morning and can't wait to show you the results.

I went to a small park that really is off the beaten path in an older part of town.

When i got there, I was sorry to see their tot lot was covered in that astro-turf. Bummer. But the good news was that the parking lot was all dirt and sand, and that's usually a good place to hunt clad.

So I turned on the Compadre and set the discrimination at the "F" in "FOIL" and got to work.

Brother, I've haven't hit this many pulltabs in a long time! Some folks hate digging these things. I like it because that tells me if anyone has detected this area before me, they pretty well discriminated out any hope of finding gold too.

Well, at the end of my hunt, I had the usual collection of garbage.

001.JPG

It wasn't a great location for coins. Only 8 pennies (one badly damaged) and one quarter. All clad. I also got one piece of costume jewelry: a pendant.

Oh yeah, and 48 pulltabs. :P

002.JPG

In addition to all the garbage and all those pulltabs, I pulled this little beauty as well:

003.JPG

It's a size 6, 14 kt gold ring which also has an "FG" stamp, which I'm assuming means "fine gold"? It weighs in at 2.4 grams and was about 4" down in the ground.

I really had to contain myself and not do a "happy ring dance" right there in parking lot.

What a great day this turned out to be! :icon_sunny:

There's two lessons to be learned here:

1. The Compadre completely rocks as a gold and coin hunter.

2. If I had set my discrimination above "FOIL", I would never have found it. In fact, the signal got noticeably weaker the farther into the "FOIL" range I went. So as I have said, if you aren't digging pulltabs, you aren't getting the gold either. And here's the proof.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SMUDGE!!!!! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :notworthy: Way to go! :thumbsup:

Gary66

Jul 30, 2009
Belle Vernon PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Bandido and Conquistador. Whites TR-Disc, Eagle 2 SL 90, Eagle Spectrum, XLT and M6. Garrett GTAx 1000pm, Garrett Pro Pointer. Compass XP-Pro. Fisher CZ-6A. Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and Sharpshooter.
Man you had a great day.....

Nice ring and what a collection of pull tabs you have. :icon_thumleft:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard work pays off :headbang: So many people pass on the pull tabs and wonder where the gold is at.

OP
OP
Smudge

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I ought to add that I tested this at home too. The farther into the "FOIL" range I went, the more broken the signal became. Past "FOIL" and the signal disappeared altogether.

There's an argument for low discrimination if ever there was one. :icon_pirat:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well... Smudge.. here is your "happy ring dance "..................

Attachments

• bunny-dance.gif
    bunny-dance.gif
    16.5 KB · Views: 307
  • bunny-dance.gif
    bunny-dance.gif
    16.5 KB · Views: 301

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Smudge........Congrats on the 14K ring and pendant ! Looks like you dug approximately 75 to 100 items on that outing ! That's an amazing amount of work in one day, but it paid off ! :thumbsup:

Bought a new Compadre (received last week) and itching to go to my local parks and hunt the Tot Lots ! Took it out in my back yard the other day and found five pieces of junk and a motor mount bolt lost off of my riding mower last year (had to replace with a new bolt.). I'm going to try your "F" setting and dig pull tabs, looking for the gold and silver jewelry !

If you don't mind my asking, approximately how many hours does it take to dig that many finds ? What type of digger do you use ? Also, do you use a hand held pinpointer to locate your targets in the hole ?

I'm trying to figure out how you are able to dig up that many items in a single hunt. Is it long hours
spent, or speedy target retrievals, or a combination of both ? I would appreciate it if you could give me some specifics.

Thanks and I wish you continued good luck with your Compadre !

ToddB64

OP
OP
Smudge

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ToddB64 said:
Smudge........Congrats on the 14K ring and pendant ! Looks like you dug approximately 75 to 100 items on that outing ! That's an amazing amount of work in one day, but it paid off ! :thumbsup:

Bought a new Compadre (received last week) and itching to go to my local parks and hunt the Tot Lots ! Took it out in my back yard the other day and found five pieces of junk and a motor mount bolt lost off of my riding mower last year (had to replace with a new bolt.). I'm going to try your "F" setting and dig pull tabs, looking for the gold and silver jewelry !

If you don't mind my asking, approximately how many hours does it take to dig that many finds ? What type of digger do you use ? Also, do you use a hand held pinpointer to locate your targets in the hole ?

I'm trying to figure out how you are able to dig up that many items in a single hunt. Is it long hours
spent, or speedy target retrievals, or a combination of both ? I would appreciate it if you could give me some specifics.

Thanks and I wish you continued good luck with your Compadre !

ToddB64

Hi Todd.

I hunted the dirt/sand parking lot exclusively so I had no grass to cut through. This made retrieval a lot easier. I used my plastic trowel most of the time and my Lesche digger if I hit any roots. Thats why I was able to dig so many targets in 4 hours.

The other thing I had was a Garrett Propointer. I know the Compadre is $160 and the Propointer is about $130, but that device makes my enjoyment of this hobby higher than it ever was. It is a really great investment and decreases your retrieval time dramatically. I never hunt without it, except at the beach.

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Smudge........Thanks for explaining ! Even with the easy diggin, I bet you still got a good workout ! LOL

I agree, a pinpointer sure makes MD'ing easier and faster !. I bought the Treasure Products Vibra-Probe 570, before the Garrett Propointer came out. It doesn't go as deep, but I'm satisfied with it's range. Like you, I never hunt without my pinpointer ! I also use a Lesche or my home made Arkie Tabdog Hand Digger Replica ( Photos attached.).

Happy Hunting !

ToddB64

Attachments

• hpqscan0001.jpg
    hpqscan0001.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 217
  • hpqscan0002.jpg
    hpqscan0002.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 198

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread