I can understand the ocean hunting but does anyone hunt rivers?

Gary66

Jul 30, 2009
Belle Vernon PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Bandido and Conquistador. Whites TR-Disc, Eagle 2 SL 90, Eagle Spectrum, XLT and M6. Garrett GTAx 1000pm, Garrett Pro Pointer. Compass XP-Pro. Fisher CZ-6A. Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and Sharpshooter.
I live next to a small river that has alot of people swimming and canoeing in it...Rope swings and such are all over the place.
Also there is a TON of fishing being done. Also people drink here quite a bit.

BUT

The rivers water level has a variation during the year of I'd say about 12'.

How the heck would you water hunt this without diving into the deeper portions?

Should I not even be thinking about detecting this because of the flooding and rocky bottom??

Hope you all will lay some insight into this subject for me.

Thanks
Gary

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Gary! A lot of folks hunt river beaches and swimming holes and a VERY successful at it. No tides, but water levels do change, so take advantage of dought times and lower river levels! :headbang:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Most inland rivers are good hunting but do have rocky and stoney bottoms........... At least the ones i have hunted do........... So it makes it more difficult than the salt water hunters have it......... If the bottom has a lot of gravel or small stones i can use a scoop.....And a some rivers have a dirt & mud bottom I use a scoop there also some times i look like i took a mud bath............. If not i just use a facemask with a snorkel look in and grab the find......" if i can see it "........ but i never hunt deeper than waist deep and sometimes only knee deep............But it's not gravy hunting like the sandy beach guys have it ........ But it is still a lot of fun.......

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watch the snappers!

I've dived rivers, and the muddy ones are a drag. You can't see anything, so it's all by feel. Wear gloves.

Clear ones are OK, but watch the current.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Bum Luck said:
Watch the snappers!

I've dived rivers, and the muddy ones are a drag. You can't see anything, so it's all by feel. Wear gloves.

Clear ones are OK, but watch the current.
That the reason i stay only knee deep most of the time ....... Those currents will get you............ I don't dive just use a snorkel some times... Yes the mud ones are no fun i stay away from them now........ That i am older and smarter......

oneeye

Aug 16, 2008
Michigan's Left Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites 6000 Di Pro, Garret Grand Master Hunter, Tesoro Tejon, Fisher 1265X
I haven't hunted "in" the local rivers yet, as I have not gotten into water hunting. BUT, I have found some very old coins near river crossings. I am going to get a water detector once I do some research, and I will definitely be trying in the rivers near these old crossings.
Dan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread