Sand Shark Noob Question.

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Stavr Krepish II Scoop, Plugger Balanced Shaft.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Ok ...after reading all of the spiels and searching threads I've still a couple of concerns. I am definitely going to get a saltwater capable machine and have narrowed down to 3 (SS, SHunter or excal ..I like all ???)
As I understand it the SS can be set to:
- signal targets with the one pitch with the volume indicating strength etc
- be able to adjust that single constant pitch up or down in frequency as preferred
- or hunt with variable pitch and volume as the indicators.?

+
quote Tesoro spiel "The user doesn't have to keep retuning the machine, because microprocessor circuitry performs that job automatically." What would I have to be retuning on other Pulse / brand models? Ground balance on Pulse machines? :dontknow:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Smoogle! Yes, PI machines have different "settings," that some refer to as ground balancing. Pulse width, threshold, Voltage Controlled Oscillator (VCO) or Normal mode settings are all very simple to understand. The Excal is a VLF machine, not a PI. It is considered a "hybrid," because of the filtering and signal boosts built into the box and coil. It can discriminate, but gives up about 2" in depth to the average PI machine. At $580.00 out of the box, the Tesoro Sand Shark with 8" coil is the best deal on the market today. I love mine, and walk behind the Excal's a lot!

Smoogle said:
Ok ...after reading all of the spiels and searching threads I've still a couple of concerns. I am definitely going to get a saltwater capable machine and have narrowed down to 3 (SS, SHunter or excal ..I like all ???)
As I understand it the SS can be set to:
- signal targets with the one pitch with the volume indicating strength etc
- be able to adjust that single constant pitch up or down in frequency as preferred
- or hunt with variable pitch and volume as the indicators.?

+
quote Tesoro spiel "The user doesn't have to keep retuning the machine, because microprocessor circuitry performs that job automatically." What would I have to be retuning on other Pulse / brand models? Ground balance on Pulse machines? :dontknow:

OP
OP
Smoogle

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Stavr Krepish II Scoop, Plugger Balanced Shaft.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thank-you Terry. I think I need to be patient - rack up some more hours on the uMax and wait for summer. I'm simply frothing at the thought of a water machine as we have so many and varied places to hunt here.

qkslvr

Oct 27, 2006
The Woodlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD/Garrett AtPro/Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a sand shark for sale in the classifieds, if you are interested.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread