Any tips for removal of the lower shaft on a Sand Shark?

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Prior to going to Myrtle Beach last week, I tried to disassemble the Sand Shark for the trip down. Once I had everything off the shaft, I found I couldn't take the shaft apart. So I went down with the rod stuck together and used it that way, washing everything off after each trip on the beach. When I got home, I tried again and could take off the upper arm shaft but still can't get the lower (detector) shaft out of the middle one. I actually need to get it to move again since it isn't adjusted just right and I need to extend it some... Guess I always could buy a new shaft but rather would use this one for now.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Cliff

fwcrawford

Jan 7, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 50, Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Tesoro Vaquero, Minelab Sovereign GT
Seems like a few folks are having this problems with the shafts sticking together lately.
I checked my machines, but found everything in good condition.
I don't beach hunt much so I probably won't have to worry about this problem.
Aside from some form of penetrating oil, the only thing I can come up with is to put the shaft in a container of some sort and fill with warm or somewhat hot water and add some kind of soap solution to see if it can penetrate the shaft section that is stuck together and free it up enough to take it apart and clean it.
There is a spray penetrater that is called "open and shut" and it is supposed to be an excellant lubricant for freeing up seized parts.
I have used it to remove bearings from shafts and it does work for me very well.
I spray some silicone on my shafts to prevent this from being a problem.
Hope this helps some!!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are stuck because of sand getting in the holes of the shaft. I've had some luck with forcing a garden hose nozzle and forcing water through the shaft. I now place duct tape over the holes in the shaft of my water detectors to keep sand out. Not the reason I got called Sandman. :laughing7:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cdv1 said:
Prior to going to Myrtle Beach last week, I tried to disassemble the Sand Shark for the trip down. Once I had everything off the shaft, I found I couldn't take the shaft apart. So I went down with the rod stuck together and used it that way, washing everything off after each trip on the beach. When I got home, I tried again and could take off the upper arm shaft but still can't get the lower (detector) shaft out of the middle one. I actually need to get it to move again since it isn't adjusted just right and I need to extend it some... Guess I always could buy a new shaft but rather would use this one for now.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Cliff

Hi Cliff! Now you know why I take my machine apart completely and clean it after EVERY trip to the beach! Depress the lock buttons, and PUSH the lower rod DOWN, further into the middle rod. Once it goes in a little, twist and push, a little more and run it under water while twisting and pulling it OUT. Just keep working it.

OP
OP
cdv1

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
I understand now! I did keep it clean but not to the level you do each trip but it was flushed and wiped off each trip. My problem was it happened prior to the salt water trip.... guess, sand is sand...... duh! I'll get it eventually, I might even try a little heat on the middle section to allow it to expand some.

Thanks everyone for their tips, I'll let you know how it goes....

Cliff

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I had one like that i held the upper shaft with one hand and twisted the bottom shaft with the other hand........... I did that for about a hour a day for about 4 or 5 days on the last day i thought i saw it move a little was not sure but it did....................So i went to Walmart got some PB Blaster in the auto dept........ Sprayed it so it would run in the shaft .................... and twisted some more and it moved and came apart...............with a little persistence and PB Blaster it came apart............. I swear that PB Blaster will do wonders.............

OP
OP
cdv1

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Thanks for all the tips guys but sadly, it will not come out... time for flames for heat and then destructive removal if necessary but not to worry, I remedied the problem by purchasing two more lower rods and one more middle rod. My plans are to repair the original rod and to make a straight rod using one of the lower rods I just bought. So for todays excursion I'll be using the repaired factory one until I get a few more parts together to make the straight one... gotta get it done and tested since I pulled the trigger on another beach trip in early October....

Cliff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions