Tesoro warranty

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To be fair that was more of a grand scale near recall event. It is separate from normal service, of which Tesoro is phenominal. I think the smaller size personal attention aspect is what makes them so, but the adverse of that is, large scale issues like you mentioned take much longer.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just meant all have service issues, even the best have issues. Another example was Whites and the gasket issue on the Beach hunter ID. I returned mine twice for leaks, they kept telling me it was my fault I wasn't closing it properly. I traded it in on my Sov GT.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Paul, you can't blame Tesoro for taking a stand on a machine that is no longer in production. And they are under no obligation to fix it. They fix some machines as a courtesy. But they can't tell you on the phone that they will fix it as a courtesy if they haven't even seen what is wrong with it. What if they promise you they'll take care of it and then get the machine only to find that it can't be fixed? At that point they would feel compelled to give you a completely new machine through no fault of their own. It is possible that if it is an easy fix they would do it for free. But I would be more inclined to expect this on a model that is still in production.

For example, imagine that you buy a used one year old machine that is still in production. You find out that it is not working correctly. If I were Tesoro, I would take care of the machine for free because in my mind, a fairly new machine should not have failed. I would not want my customers to start talking about how a new machine had broken and I had not been willing to stand behind it. But customers do not have the same expectations for machines that are out of production. Take note however, that very few other companies will fix something that is not truly within warranty anymore.

That's my two cents. Of course, Robert has clearly stated the policy so his word is what you should be following. I also agree that too many people out here are quick to incorrectly claim that Tesoro will fix the machine regardless of whether or not someone is the original owner. That's not fair to Tesoro in my opinion. Having a lifetime warranty for the original owner is unheard of these days. Let's not risk that by putting Tesoro in a bad position by making claims on their behalf. Tesoro isn't the bad guy here. No one is. Send it in and see what they will do for you. I guarantee you they will treat you fairly. That's more than you will get from most companies. :icon_thumleft:
.....mts ... is right here you know..........

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And the rest as we know is history.

Best detector deal I have made to date..... I was given $500 trade in on the Sov GT that was selling for $899. I gave the BHID and $400 cash for the new Sov GT and bought my first wot at same time from same company...

Ty

Oct 12, 2004
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro, White's IDX, Custom Water Detector, White's Coinmaster, Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reg,

Some fun times attending all those hunts 20+ years ago. No, I did not realize
that hunt was in 1989, maybe I missed a year or two along the way. I will agree
that your car did look strange. I guess all involved in that accident were very
lucky that no one was injured.

Still haven't had the time nor have I felt like tackling the Cortez. As soon as we
get some cooler weather, I'll see if I still have any electronic skills left.

I'll drop back by this forum and let the world know if I did or did not repair this
Cortez.

Ty

daddyflea

Greenie
Mar 18, 2011
I have had some experience with Tesoro myself. I traded for an old Golden Saber II. Some wires were broken and the batteries would not stay in. I sent it back and Tesoro fixed it free. May have cost them some money but since then I have bought several Tesoros.

In fact my newest is a Cortez and Allcav kinda talked me into sending it back. It worked fine but was very shallow on Nickles. The TID was also off from normal machines. The bad thing was my old Golden Saber would out hunt it any day.

Still waiting to get it back and trying to decide if I want to use a smaller Coil. I have also sold several Tesoros because I tell the truth. I do not sugar coat anything. In fact I loved the old Tone Golden Umax but I did not like the new Tones at all. If Tesoro wants to really sell detectors they need to simply add Notch to the Deleon. I really like the Deleon, even better than the Cortez, but I can not live without Notch.

In fact I was talking to a guy who had just bought a low end Tesoro who was fuming mad because his would not work at all. When I asked him a few questions, about what it was doing, I found that he knew nothing about detectors. He had no idea it had to have motion nor did he have any idea what the Discrimination knob was used for.

Levels of experience using Detectors vary greatly as do opinions and uses. In my opinion I have no use for most of the Tesoro line because they do not have Notch. This only leaves the Golden Umax which has recently changed and the Cortez since the Golden Saber is no longer made.

All that said in just a few months with a detector that was just a little off in tune, I found more rings and Nickels than I have ever found with other detectors.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro's customer service and warranty is second to none. They're great to deal with.

tabman

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just sent in my Tiger Shark as it wouldn't detect anything if I set the disc above 1. I called Tesoro and the man I spoke with said "that is not the kind of performance we expect from a Tesoro, please send it in". I mailed it in and a month later they mailed it back free of charge! I would definitely look at Tesoro first for my next detector.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just had a great interaction with Tesoro customer service. I don't usually buy old or used detectors, but there are several specific detectors that I'm always on the lookout for, one of those was the Diablo II. I've heard a lot of great things about it, so when I saw one on sale on ebay, I put a bid on and won it. I know I was taking a chance that it was really messed up, but I couldn't help it. When I got it, I called Tesoro and asked them if I could send it to them so they could check it out to make sure it was working properly. They said no problem, and the tech spent some time with me on the phone helping me to understand which coils it takes(by the way, if anybody has any 4-pin coils for the orginal Lobo that you want to sell, let me know.) <br>
When I got my detector back there was note from Rusty saying they fixed the coil, it had been out of phase, so they realigned it and put a new bottom on the coil, for free. Then Rusty had also included a new coil end with the beefier 1/4" hardware, for free. Then Rusty threw in a copy of an article he did for the 1993 MDI on the Diablo II. He wrote a personal note and said that since I had a Diablo II now I would probably find the article intresting. I was blown away. Hands down, Tesoro has the best service.

Last edited:

Ty

Oct 12, 2004
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro, White's IDX, Custom Water Detector, White's Coinmaster, Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cortes is repaired.

For Reg and anyone else interested. Finally my health improved some. I had just about written the Cortes mentioned in the above threads off. I decided that I could repair the detector. The problem turned out to be a broken connection that grounded the coil shield. I repaired that along with a couple of wires I broke getting to it. It was simple and I doubt if Tesoro even opened the detector. Makes me wonder about a couple of other Tesoro units I own. No matter, I am using a detector now that I like much better. After 55 years repairing various electronic gadgets I was determined to repair one more (Cortes) gadget that only seemed to have an intermittent connection.

Ty

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread