Vaquero question

wheatymike

Dec 31, 2011
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus, Compadre. Deleon.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thinking about getting a vaquero. My question is there any way to tell the depth of a target with this machine. I know they don't have a depth guage or a fainter sound on deeper stuff. I am use to a bounty hunter with a depth guage and am afraid I will miss it. any thoughts? thanks Michael

justanotherbarber

Jan 30, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Vaquero, Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You should be able to tell by the tone after some experience. The best depth meter and VDI is your digger.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can use a metal probe to touch the coin or raise the coil till the beep stops.

cokat7

Sep 25, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I can tell by the faintness of the target sound [not supertuned].
An easier way to check is by pressing the red button, in VCO mode, with a little practice it is a cinch to check everything from target depth, size and ferrous / non-ferrous if you know what you are doing.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To be more clear, no, there is no direct method to tell how deep something is. There are manual methods like listening to how strong the beep/hum is, probing the ground, using a pinpointer to see if it is in the top few inches, and raising the coil off of the ground to try and see when the signal starts to drop off.

Some of these methods can give you a pretty good indication, but just like with actual depth meters on other detectors, they are not exact. Regardless of the detector, it is virtually impossible to tell the difference between a larger deep target and a smaller shallow target. Most depth systems are based on guessing what the target could be either by assuming a certain sized object (coin for example), or by using the phase shift and discrimination setting. The machine then compares the magnitude of signal received the expected signal magnitude for certain depths. Therefore, if the detector guesses incorrectly on the type/size of the object, the depth could be wrong too.

OP
OP
W

wheatymike

Dec 31, 2011
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus, Compadre. Deleon.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys. All good information. I went on and ordered on of these machines based on all of the good reviews I am hearing on it. I just had some concern due to the fact that my two current machines have a way of depth indication. (Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202 and Fisher cz3). Both seem to be fairly acurate in telling the depth of a coin sized target. Thanks agian for the information. Any other genral info on this metal detector that may be helpful would be greatly appreciated. thanks Michael

Jersey Hunter

Dec 27, 2011
Barnegat, NJ
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE and G2, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche digger and Relic Hunter Shovel.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Michael, I had the same reservations, but let me assure you, You won't miss the depth meter once you start using it. One hour after I started using the Vaquero, and it feels as comfortable as though I've always used it. You made a wise choice.

Killer Angel

Jan 17, 2011
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Excal, Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You made a good decision. The Vaquero or V as we call it is everything it is advertised to be. Good luck with it!!!

1953silver

Jan 30, 2011
New Jerey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Whites, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Michael - I set my "V" like this - Sense at 10, Thresh hold to 3 o'clock, this allows my detector to maintain a consistant volume of the tone/beep and disc to the line just above iron, this allows me to pick-up small gold. On my "V" with these settings I know I can sense a dime to 7.5 inches. When I get a target beep, I can roll up the disc to see where it disc's out which tells me the possible target ID - nickel, dime, etc. To determine depth, I simply raise the coil. If I'm say 4 inches off the ground, I know my target is 3 - 4 inches. If I'm 2 inches off the ground, the target is probably 5 - 6 inches down. Of cource this is for coins and most rings. It takes seconds and will give you an idea of how deep the target is, and by raising the disc, you can get an idea of which coin you have as well. Hope this helps. If you type 53silver in YouTube you can see my videos on the Vaquero, they may help as well.

sciflyer25

Nov 22, 2011
Montco, PA
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have watched Mike's videos on youtube and they are very informative. I don't even own a vaq, but enjoy his expertise with using one.

rossman85

May 14, 2012
harrisburg, pa
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro, pro pointer, lesche digger
Sandman said:
You can use a metal probe to touch the coin or raise the coil till the beep stops.

What state do you guys live in that you can just probe down to the coin? Here in pa it is so rocky, you would be 99% likely to hit a rock first. Im jealous of soil like that, lol!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions