Just got a Vaquero

Jay of MS

Apr 13, 2012
The Deep South :)
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garret gtax 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any tips for this detector would be much appreciated.

I have taken it out a few times and have really enjoyed learning this detector. I bought this detector under the assumption that less is more (bells and whistles). It hasn't let me down yet.

One thing that i kinda don't like is large iron cannot be discriminated out just like silver so I have dug some pretty large pieces of iron thinking they were quarters lol. Does anyone know a trick to knowing the difference?. All in all it is a great little machine.

I'm in mississippi and was wondering if we have highly mineralized soil?

nad

Apr 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I assume the detector can be lifted . Large iron would stay, quarters/ coins drop out.. Don't knock rusty iron..One character got an iron signal,jabbed with his knife, and , I hear, the weight inside the box was around 21 pounds..Something like that would have a profound way to make your day..The problem being, How does one follow an act like that?

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In the pinpoint you should be able to size it and see if its it larger than a coin,but the smaller pieces still might fool you
Gary

Last edited:

wheatymike

Dec 31, 2011
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus, Compadre. Deleon.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ive been using mine for a few months now and can determine if it is big iron or a flattend out aluminum can by lifting the coil. Coins, even shallow ones will cut out at no more than ten inches or so. Big iron or aluminum cans will sound off even at 12 inches or more.

Jeff in Pa

Feb 26, 2005
Pa
Detector(s) used
I have owned/own the Anfibio Multi, CTX, Etrac, Equinox, SE Pro, EX II, XS, Soveriegn Elite, Garrett Ace 250 and the Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ive been using mine for a few months now and can determine if it is big iron or a flattend out aluminum can by lifting the coil. Coins, even shallow ones will cut out at no more than ten inches or so. Big iron or aluminum cans will sound off even at 12 inches or more.

Good advice Mike! I also notice that most junk targets will "Drift" when pinpointing. A coin will be short and sweet unless its deep! If its deep it may have a halo around it but will still sound good. Any solid repeatable signal should be dug if its deep! If the V isn't screaming at you it will usually mean a 6" or more target providing you ground balanced correctly.

Jeff

sandtrout

Jan 27, 2010
Vaquero Target Tests.JPG
Don't know if this came out big enough. When I was just learning, I took info from this (and other forums) and copied it to paper. If I "really" liked it, I converted it to a 4x6 card for one of those "cheapie" 4x6 photo albums you get for a couple of bucks. I review what I've copied to keep it fresh...especially for those times when I can't use my Vaquero for awhile. This is a card I just made off what I read here, today.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would try Jeff's suggestion because not everything large is bad. I dug my first gold pocket watch after being told by the person who located the signal it was to large to be anything but junk. You could have a jar of coins for instance. But its all a gamble. Dig everything should be the way to go but if your mate is just using a small degree of discrimination and is able to cover twice the ground he could be the one who ends up better off at the end of the day.

OP
OP
Jay of MS

Jay of MS

Apr 13, 2012
The Deep South :)
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garret gtax 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is amazing how much one can get out of these little machines. I like the idea of raising the coil up to tell if it isn't a coin when I'm just dead tired and dont feel like digging deep. Wow I sure appreciate all of the tips. Keep em coming, I have written down all of yalls sudgestions.

wheatymike

Dec 31, 2011
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus, Compadre. Deleon.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Learning were things drop off on the discrimination nob is valuable information.Some of the items are close to other ones so pay close attention and learn them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions