New guy questions about my new Silver uMAX detector

mrnukem

Greenie
Jan 8, 2012
Vancouver, Wa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am very new to the metal detecting hobby and after doing a lot of research I purchased a Tesoro Silver uMAX and have been using it for couple of weeks or so but have some specific questions and thought to myself "self you best post over at the treasurenet forums".

1: I have an area close by my home that was all fields and bramble bushes for years, recently the county came out and bull dozed it all down, turning over a lot of the soil and a lot of rocks, looks like it may have been a riverbed in the past. When hunting it with my uMax a lot of the rocks themselves give a strong signal, even when I have turned up the discrimination to different levels many still gave a very strong signal, it happens so often that it is almost un-huntable. I verified the fact its nothing broken in the detector as my Freight harbor pin pointer gave a signal on the same rocks. Is there anything I can do to filter out the readings the rocks and stones give?

2: I was hunting in a tot lot? playground area and there was a lot of foil from candy wrappers that kept giving me signals in all metal but were filtered out when I put it to discriminate just between foil and 5c on the knob. By filtering it out with that setting am I risking loosing out on anything that might be of value?

3: I dont like using headphones just because I need to be able to hear whats going on around me but noticed there is no volume control for the speaker, is there any recommended mini speakers with volume control that would plug in to the 1/4" headphone jack?

4: A few times I have gotten a signal, dug and neither the detector nor the pin pointer can find anything. I recheck all the grass plugs and the dirt around the hole and nothing. What might I be missing or what might be the cause?

5: I saw a fella on Youtube who would keep the detector in all metal mode, then switch to discriminate mode to recheck the signal and was wondering if that is a good way to go, does doing that reduce battery life at all or wear on the internal circuitry by going back and forth between the all metal and discriminate modes every few minutes?

Thank you for taking the time to read and reply.

dan_h

Sep 9, 2005
I recently bought a Golden uMax, first Tesoro in about 10 years. But, I can answer a few of your questions. Killer B makes a headphone called the Rattler -- has only one earcup, has a volume control. With most detectors, rejecting foil may lose some tiny, thin rings, but in a bark chip area, the amount of foil may require rejecting it. The rocks may have been "hot rocks", contain enough mineralization to sound off with a detector that has fixed ground balance.

neuseman

Mar 11, 2011
Beaufort NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 and Omega 8000
I think the answer to no. 4 is that you must have pinpointed the target wrong or you didnt dig deep enough to find that (silver) I mean target. Go back and do it again. This time make sure you have a good pinpoint and just keep diggin til you find it!!!!!!!

smcdmc

Aug 12, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 500, Teknetics G2, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. Yes, hot rocks and no, you can't do much about it.
2. Yes, you could be discriminating out such things as jewelry, small gold coins, 3 cent pieces, but you have to decide if chasing all the foil is worth it.
3. Use a pair of ear buds and only put one in one ear leaving the other one open, but only if you absolutely have to. You won't truly learn what your detector is trying to tell you without wearing a good set of headphones.
4. Small piece of rusted iron. You disturbed the "halo" around it therefore causing the signal to go away.
5. No, it won't noticeably hurt the one 9 volt battery life or wear on internal circuitry, but be prepared to dig A LOT if running in all metal.

Shane

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread