Need advice choosing a new detector

treasure4pleasure

Apr 18, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
FIsher F2, Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello everyone :) I am a newbie here and to the hobby.
Got my son a garrett ace 250 last year and decided that i'd like to have my own detector when we go out. I really enjoyed going out with him and had to fight the instinct to take it away from him.:laughing7:
I'm wondering what would be a good one that won't cause any interference with his when we're out together. I would kind of like a screen but could prob. live without it. My hopes are to find oldcoinsand maybe some jewelry. I notice the 250 gave alot of false readings and sometimes just going off constantly so it was frustrating. I am not a fan of digging so .... ;)
Here are my considerations thus far: Fisher F2, a tesoro, or an xterra 305. I like the looks of the tesoro vaquero but it's a bit more than i can spend.
Thanks!
*oops i put this in the wrong section..sorry.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might check on some of the Tesoros, they have what is called a freq shifter, you can adjust your freq to find one that does not interfere with the Ace 250.....I have a fisher 1225 I use for competition hunts so I could shift freq anytime I was near someone and getting interference... I am not sure what models of Tesoro has the freq shifter, I know the Conquistador had it (no longer made) and the Cibola has it now, there may be other models that have it as well...

OP
OP
treasure4pleasure

treasure4pleasure

Apr 18, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am pretty sold on getting a Tesoro. Now to decide which model. I really want the Vaquero but hate to spend the $$. It's over my budget and I really want a Garrett PP too. :headbang:

Jersey Hunter

Dec 27, 2011
Barnegat, NJ
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE and G2, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche digger and Relic Hunter Shovel.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would say if you really want the Vaquero (my go to detector), then get it because if you don't your going to end up selling whatever you buy, and buy one anyway. If you buy it to start with look at the money you save LOL. If not go with a Cibola, I really think you could be happy with that also.

OP
OP
treasure4pleasure

treasure4pleasure

Apr 18, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
what are the diffs between the vaq and the cibola?

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Vaquero is manual ground balance, the Cibola is preset. That's one of the biggest differences.

My advice would be to buy a Tesoro Compadre and a Garrett Propointer (total cost, about $300 if you include tax) and go have fun.

The Compadre hits great on gold and coins, is lightweight and is a pleasure to use. When you get the Vaquero one day, keep the Compadre for tot lots and as a backup/loaner.

Also, forget TIDs. Unless its a high dollar detector those things are worthless. Constantly misidentifying targets. You'll pass up good stuff.

Jeff in Pa

Feb 26, 2005
Pa
Detector(s) used
I have owned/own the Anfibio Multi, CTX, Etrac, Equinox, SE Pro, EX II, XS, Soveriegn Elite, Garrett Ace 250 and the Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am pretty sold on getting a Tesoro. Now to decide which model. I really want the Vaquero but hate to spend the $$. It's over my budget and I really want a Garrett PP too. :headbang:

I don't know how set you are on the pinpointer but I can see you really want the V, the V should be the top prority so.... I was in the same boat as you when I got my V. I went to Harbor Freight and got one of their PP's on sale for $14.99 plus I used the 20% coupon, got it for 12 bucs. No it is not a Garrett but it gets good depth and has not failed me. I am very pleased with it for 12 bucs:laughing7:.

Just my two cents

Jeff

OP
OP
treasure4pleasure

treasure4pleasure

Apr 18, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am going to save up for the Vaq. I think I would be unhappy if I settled for something else.
My son wanted a md and we got him one for his 12th birthday last Oct. We got him an Ace 250 and going out with him made me realize I HAD to have one too. :) I can remember my grandfather having one and I wanted one as a child and never got one. I guess the desire never leaves. :) We also got him a harbor freight pinpointer so we have one of those. I will def. be wanting a Garrett PP as soon as I can save up for one. From the videos i've seen they are amazing!!
I hope that the vaq. won't interfere with my son's ace 250. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:

Jersey Hunter

Dec 27, 2011
Barnegat, NJ
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE and G2, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche digger and Relic Hunter Shovel.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Vaquero has a switch that allows you to change frequencies. So you won't interfere with your sons Ace 250. As for the Garrett PP, they're great. Since I started using it, I would not be without one. Happy Hunting.

OP
OP
treasure4pleasure

treasure4pleasure

Apr 18, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah the garrett pp's look awe-some!!!
I am still interested in the vaquero but i have developed some interest in the xterra 505 too.So back to the drawing board of uncertainty. :(

Allcav

Jun 14, 2011
Prescott, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah the garrett pp's look awe-some!!!
I am still interested in the vaquero but i have developed some interest in the xterra 505 too.So back to the drawing board of uncertainty. :(

I would go rent these machine first. The Minelabs give me a headache. They sound like your in a school of Dolphins. That is no lie. The sound is constant and it pitches from a low tone to a high tone constantly if you are in the all metal mode. Its annoying.

Jeff in Pa

Feb 26, 2005
Pa
Detector(s) used
I have owned/own the Anfibio Multi, CTX, Etrac, Equinox, SE Pro, EX II, XS, Soveriegn Elite, Garrett Ace 250 and the Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Robert is absolutely correct, they are good machines but if you are fairly new to detecting a Minelab can drive you nuts. I started out with an Elite and then a EX II and the sounds can either be very helpful or very annoying. The most annoying detector I had was one of those yellows with the bell tone. That was just too much for me.:tongue3:

Jeff

OP
OP
treasure4pleasure

treasure4pleasure

Apr 18, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah the 250's bells drive me insane. I am pretty set on an AT Pro (hopefully not as annoying sounding) or a minelab xterra, not sure which model though.
I actually like the weird sounds from the minelabs (have seen videos on youtube) but honestly to me anything is better than the "ding ding" bell tone. :BangHead:

Jeff in Pa

Feb 26, 2005
Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No matter what you get please remember to take slow, don't rush into it thinking that just because you have a very good detector the silver should start pouring in. Start out by digging sounds that you never heard and learn what they are. After you do that and get proficient at "calling it" then work on solid repeatable signals. Remember that iron can be very deep but learn what is different about it. Any always dig solid repeatable signals that you know are deep and are small when you PP. If you are getting frustrated take a break and bump up the disc, it will give you relief from the trash.

HH

Jeff

badger

Mar 7, 2012
Divide, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stick with Tesoro. They have the best warranty in the business. None of the others even comes close. The Vaquero is an excellent choice. read the reviews...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread