Vaquero 5.75 widescan first impressions!

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After much debating and lotsa help from forum members, I decided on the 5.75 widescan for my Vaquero for (mostly) nugget shooting . After ground balancing, I swung in the backyard for a bit and first thing I noticed is how much smoother (quieter) it seemed already. The signals weren't as vague on the tiny stuff. Also, the pinpointing is much improved, a bit more guessing was involved with the 9x8 coil. On impromptu air testing it seemed to hit as deep as the stock 9x8 or very close. I've found pellets in the backyard with both coils, but the stock coil had a very faint 'zip'. The 5.75 was screaming at me in comparison. So, I found a staple at about 3-4" and the pellet and little piece of a gear at the same depth. I figure if I can find nuggets the size of a pellet or a staple, that's plenty sensitive for me! Only swung for about 20 minutes or so, but I really think that this coil will be more useful in most situations than the stock coil and I would highly recommend it. Thanks for all the help! Scott

Attachments

• 5 copy.jpg
    5 copy.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 230

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Awesome! I love those Hot Tech. 5.75" coils!

chinchilla

Dec 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, White's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
many thanks for sharing that info scott, I'm interested on that coil for my vaquero too, in fact, I'm between the 5.75dd and the 10x12dd

badger

Mar 7, 2012
Divide, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason Tesoro put the 10 inch elliptical on their best gold machine (the Lobo) is because it's the best coil for gold. obviously

OP
OP
atomicscott

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason Tesoro put the 10 inch elliptical on their best gold machine (the Lobo) is because it's the best coil for gold. obviously
From all I've read from people who have used both coils, the 5.75 is deeper than the 5x10 lobo coil. The lobo is a 19 khz detector (designed for gold) which makes it able to use the 5x10 elliptical to it's fullest extent, as well as the having ground tracking, which the vaquero does not. The vaquero being 14.75 khz needs all the depth help it can get when looking for small gold. Also, smaller amount of ground the Vaquero sees, the less it is affected by highly mineralized ground. Here in SoCal deserts the washes can be LOADED with blacksand and gives the stock coil fits. This is why I chose the 5.75 DD. The main reason people choose the 5x10, (only from what I've read) is the added ground coverage of the larger coil. if you google it, I think you will find that more people use the 5.75 coil.

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
The same story with me, never liked Tejon with stock coil and was suspicious why people like Tesoros and had bad experience with Cibola, but with 575 coil Tejon performs very well or excellent.
Can add Tesoro should explain more about their coils and put to attention that stock coil is not suited for heavy iron places at all. Dont know what for this stock coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread