Sand Shark service

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I purchased my Sand Shark around 2003 and it's seen a lot of use and abuse over the years. Once I left the batteries in it and I had to pay for that repair, (I deserved the punishment) but this time the left earpiece just stopped working. No sound.

So, I sent it in via USPS parcel post on July 1. (remembering that the holiday was just a couple of days away)

My machine was back on my doorstep on 10 July via FedEx.

Nice new headphones, no charge.

Good service, two thumbs up Tesoro.

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You really have to appreciate good customer service, true lifetime warranties, quality machines and people! Great post! :occasion14:

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only problem is that in 99% of the world Tesoro's are not cheap and have some of the worse warranties.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only problem is that in 99% of the world Tesoro's are not cheap and have some of the worse warranties.

I don't know about the prices in the rest of the world for Tesoro's, but how can you say they have the worse warranties as they are for life. You have to remember the Chinese produce a Sand Shark detector that is a POS copy.

StormSurge

Oct 6, 2011
S E Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Glad that I live in the other 1%

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lifetime warranty doesn't apply in Europe or Asia (don't know about South America). Tesoro importers only gave a one year warranty for years whilst other brands gave two, three or even five. That left the choice of a three year warranty by buying in France or doing a grey import. And no StormSurge your not really glad you live in the other one percent or we wouldn't have people so desperate to come over every year.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brian, I didn't know about those warranties across the "pond."

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some folks are dedicated Tesoro bashers. A lot of them are dealers of other brands, or have businesses that are sponsored by other brands. Fortunately, the bias stands out like a tranny wearing a pink nightgown at a Rodeo.... :laughing7:

JKPK1

Sep 27, 2009
Florida
Tesoro USA is outstanding to deal with. I have had one warranty issue of a bad coil on a brand new machine. They ok'd the swap of a coil . at dealer level without returning the entire unit.

Bummer it's not as nice in the UK or Europe. There are other brands, so it apparently comes down to wanting performance or warranty ability. Brian your signature indicates you have an arsenal of firepower. What would be the problem of sending it back to Tesoro USA, maybe I missed that. It's almost to the point where domestic and international shipping is closing the gap. Does the UK charge taxes for repairs sent outside the UK?

I had never heard mention of a US citizen wanting to relocate to the UK. Actually, most times it is opposite, where my foreign students from Europe, are amazed at the difference in cost of items here and many how little taxes we pay. I may not like everything my government does or did. But I deal with it as best as possible.

Regardless, to keep this flowing as intended by the OP, I too have had good results with Tesoro USA, and remain a Kool Aid drinking fool, or a person able to make an educated choice favoring performance over warranty for my equipment, but luckily got both.

PK

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JKP the US is cheap with low tax, dirt cheap houses, cars etc. But Europe has natural gold (even in the U.K.) and 3000 years of metallic finds to make....and in most areas the mineralisation isn't as bad.

The problem with buying "grey" is that the U.K. dealer will not honour the warranty as its not been sold through him and that leaves you with paying delivery and insurance in both directions and if importing, import duty plus 20% VAT. Even if its been a case of return for repair or tune up the delivery companies take the attitude that it could be a new import and charge you all the taxes as if it is. You have to pay up by credit card or the item is returned to the States after a week.

Every time I go abroad now I carry the original receipt for each detector to prove to the customs that all taxes have been paid. As Britain is normally the most expensive place for anything you can think of they assume you will be trying to slip something in. The other option is to have a detector that looks well used, even abused.

Funny thing about those not even cloned SandSharks, just name copies, Sandman is they do have five year warranties.

Terry, you continue to show yourself up. Check back on my posts and I often recommend Tesoro, just not for its P.I.'s, or should I say P.I. There's dozens of P.I. manufacturers and just because you don't want to bother to try them out thats your loss.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
God Bless America, and Tesoro! :occasion14:

StormSurge

Oct 6, 2011
S E Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lifetime warranty doesn't apply in Europe or Asia (don't know about South America). Tesoro importers only gave a one year warranty for years whilst other brands gave two, three or even five. That left the choice of a three year warranty by buying in France or doing a grey import. And no StormSurge your not really glad you live in the other one percent or we wouldn't have people so desperate to come over every year.

Brian, I'm not really sure what you mean? I'm really glad that I live where I do and if that's in the 1%where the price of my Tesoro is reasonable and the warranty is stellar, well, then I like it even better!

And, frankly I would love to visit Europe and pretty much any other place in the world but I am far from being "desperate" to do so. I got to say that I love seeing some of the posts that come from your part of the world especially the metal finds that overlap and predate ours. But, I'm pretty content finding our historical artifacts, oh and the ones that your fellow Europeans left behind over 200 years ago. I can honestly say that I may be a MD'ing addict but I can't see my addiction driving me to being desperate to "come over every year" to Europe or any other place. I like it just fine here! Maybe it's just the other 1% that makes it nice!

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
The other option is to have a detector that looks well used, even abused.

There is one other option- Do what my great-grandfather did when the English government taxed too much.

United States of America is taken, so you will have to come up with a different name.

Above Statement Disclaimer (and I hope you take this in the humor in which it was intended)

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are you going on about G.I.B. ???

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is one other option- Do what my great-grandfather did when the English government taxed too much.

United States of America is taken, so you will have to come up with a different name.

Above Statement Disclaimer (and I hope you take this in the humor in which it was intended)

Unfortunately, speaking of taxation, the good ol' USA has the highest corporate tax rate in the world and might soon be competing with the highest in the world for private citizens. Time for a repeat of 1776 events?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread