Do you use all metal mode with LST?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank Sandman , That was a great artical and really helped explain a lot. Thanks Again, steve

Reg

Aug 10, 2007
Pueblo, CO
Detector(s) used
White's TDI, TDI SL, GMT, GM 4, MXT, Tesoro LST, Lobo, Bandido, Vaquero, Sidewinder, Fisher GB 2, GB SE, F75 LTD Camo, Minelab SD 2200, XT18000, Discovery Goldtrax, Cointrax, and too many others
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve,

Glad you liked the article. I wrote that quite a few years ago. For those interested, the location I was hunting was around Meadeview and Gold Basin AZ. The two nuggets found during the field test were found on the Meadeview side.

BTW, I still have that LST.

Reg

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just to add that I use the all metal mode in dry sand at the beach as well, because I find gold chains the Minelab Sovereigns, Excaliburs and CTX 3030's walk over. Just something else to think about. The other advantage of All Metal with the LST when coin shooting is depth! It will hit a silver dime at 9" with no problem, discriminating out iron, it walks right over it.

OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would you use all metal mode in an old park for coins? What would you set discrimination at? Thanks steve

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you use all metal in a park, your going to have to go over the areas that you hunt several times. Once to skim off the shallow iron/foil/canslaw, then at least once more to get the deeper signals. If you think there are really deep targets, section off a small area using markers, then use the above technique. That way the more times you go over the area, you keep getting it cleaner and cleaner after each pass. Then you'll eventually start hitting the deep stuff.
Once you get the trash cleaned out and your soil isn't too minerlized, try switching to the 9" concentric coil, or the 10x12 widescan. If conditions are right, they might find some things that the 10" elliptical missed.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Would you use all metal mode in an old park for coins? What would you set discrimination at? Thanks steve

I have. Many times I hunt in All Metal, and test the target strength first by raising the coil till the signal weakens or disappears. Then I will sometimes switch to Discriminate, and thumb it to 4 or 5 to see if I can still get it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread