Sand Shark Battery Life...WoW!

LewieMD

Jul 29, 2012
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark 10.5 coil, RTG Pro 6" scoop.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi all: been keeping track of the number of hours that I have run my new Sand Shark. So far....24-1/2 hours on the batteries that came with it. Have only run in the Normal mode (per Terry S suggestions for newbies) and the pulse width is set a shade greater than the factory marked 1/2 way position. Believe it or not, I am still getting 7 beeps on the battery check.

Interesting since the manual lists battery life at 10-20 hours.

Good hunting to all.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all: been keeping track of the number of hours that I have run my new Sand Shark. So far....24-1/2 hours on the batteries that came with it. Have only run in the Normal mode (per Terry S suggestions for newbies) and the pulse width is set a shade greater than the factory marked 1/2 way position. Believe it or not, I am still getting 7 beeps on the battery check.

Interesting since the manual lists battery life at 10-20 hours.

Good hunting to all.

Change them out after 20-hours regardless! I never put more than 15-20 hours on without a charge or change.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Batteries are cheap and your time isn't. I know the batteries seem to be OK on that many hours, but they're due for a rest.

OP
OP
LewieMD

LewieMD

Jul 29, 2012
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Change them out after 20-hours regardless! I never put more than 15-20 hours on without a charge or change.

Batteries are cheap and your time isn't. I know the batteries seem to be OK on that many hours, but they're due for a rest.

Thanks guys. I will change them at 20 hours from now on. With that said, seems to me that I should invest in rechargeables. Terry, I saw your post about the PowerGenix NiZn batteries. Amazon has the charger and 4 batteries for $23.99. Seems to be a good investment. Thanks again to both of you.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro doesn't recommend rechargeable batteries.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys. I will change them at 20 hours from now on. With that said, seems to me that I should invest in rechargeables. Terry, I saw your post about the PowerGenix NiZn batteries. Amazon has the charger and 4 batteries for $23.99. Seems to be a good investment. Thanks again to both of you.

I use them in the Sand Shark and the Lobo ST. Been using the original eight batteries (two four-battery quick chargers) for over a year now and LOVE THEM! I'll be buying a new set soon.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Batteries must have changed a lot since Tesoro told me not to use rechargables.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Rechargables are nice for things that arn't voltage critical, but they don't develop the voltage that alkalines do.

JKPK1

Sep 27, 2009
Florida
Rechargables are nice for things that arn't voltage critical, but they don't develop the voltage that alkalines do.

That's the thing about some of the posts I have been reading here about modding detectors or even going to rechargeable batteries. Do the detectors need to run near max voltage of new batteries, or are rechargeable batteries that sustain voltage longer actually better when compared to alkaline batteries.

To save weight, and have more possible output for loads, I want to swap to Li-po batteries, unfortunately, I have not yet found out what the regulated voltage is on a Tesoro 8 cell machine. Yes rated battery volts is 12 (8x1.5) but this tapers somewhat. If the machine regulates at say 10 VDC, then quality rechargeable should be fine.

Still doing homework.

PK

OP
OP
LewieMD

LewieMD

Jul 29, 2012
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
That's the thing about some of the posts I have been reading here about modding detectors or even going to rechargeable batteries. Do the detectors need to run near max voltage of new batteries, or are rechargeable batteries that sustain voltage longer actually better when compared to alkaline batteries.

To save weight, and have more possible output for loads, I want to swap to Li-po batteries, unfortunately, I have not yet found out what the regulated voltage is on a Tesoro 8 cell machine. Yes rated battery volts is 12 (8x1.5) but this tapers somewhat. If the machine regulates at say 10 VDC, then quality rechargeable should be fine.

Still doing homework.

PK

I'd sure like to know what you find out. However, Terry has been using the NiZn in his Sand Shark for a long time now and has not had any problems. Hey Terry, how often do you rechharge those?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread