Tesoro Lobo fresh water hunting, is the DD coil worth it ?

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
I'm currently using tesoro lobo with the standard coil, I find lots of gold in fresh water lakes, it easy finds bracelets, earrings and other things which other detectors have difficulties with.

However I'm not that satisfied with its depth, so the question is, should I try a larger coil too ? will it gain a significant depth boost ? what about the loss of sensitivity for fine gold ?

thinking about this 10x12" coil

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The stock eliptical coil is a double d coil. A bigger one will give more depth.

OP
OP
Acquisitor

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
ok sorry, you are right

well, what kind of depth increase should I expect with a 10x12" coil and would sensitivity for small gold (especially chains, bracelets, earrings) be dramatically reduced ?

10x12WS.jpg

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The larger the coil the less sensitivity to tiny gold usually.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The larger the coil the less sensitivity to tiny gold usually.

I think that applies more to tiny gold nuggets and flakes than rings.... I have recovered some really small gold rings and gold earrings, earring studs as well using my large 15 inch coils, smallest gold ring was .06 of a gram. got 5 gold earring studs as well.... All the small targets were recovered fairly deep as well...

OP
OP
Acquisitor

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
so in your opinion its definately worth getting this coil ?
the problem with the standard elliptical lobo coil is the depth, I love finding earrings, chains and bracelets which others miss with their excaliburs and other detectors, but the depth of the standard coil is a bit disappointing imo.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are discriminating with the Lobo ST, then you are losing depth no matter what coil you pop on. Discrimination takes several inches off your depth with this machine

OP
OP
Acquisitor

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
well I hunt in water til my neck, my standard setting is disc at 1, however the switch is pointed at "disc". (yes I also dig up small iron)

what settings would you recommend for FRESH water hunting ?

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are looking for recent drops you can discriminate out iron only - do not go above 3. If you want to go past 7", stay in ALL METAL all the time. For fresh water depth you can get a Minelab Sov and waterproof it it ($1200.00) or an Excal ($1400.00) and get 11"-13" in depth while knocking out iron (Fisher CZ; any good multi-frequency machine), but you won't pull gold chains with those machines like the Lobo will in All Metal.

OP
OP
Acquisitor

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
well I already have an excalibur, and have been pulling heavy and deep gold rings with it, then I bought a lobo and combine them now.
the question was "will lobo be anywhere near excalibur in depth, with a larger coil, while still being able to find small/thin gold"...

also, after having tested the lobo, it is my opinion that discriminating iron will reduce sensitivity on fine gold as well, thats why I dont mind digging out small iron. Also, I have found lots of gold near small iron, I think other hunters miss it since they get iron signal on their detectors.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Acquisitor

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
also, I see you have tigershark AND lobo.

do you think lobo is more sensitive for small gold than tigershark ? or is it exactly the same machine while one is being waterproof ?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
also, I see you have tigershark AND lobo.

do you think lobo is more sensitive for small gold than tigershark ? or is it exactly the same machine while one is being waterproof ?

I have a "Sand Shark," not a Tiger Shark. The Lobo is more sensitive to smaller gold in All Metal only, not in Discrimination mode. They both give about the same performance otherwise. No VLF machine can beat the Lobo Super Traq on small gold in All Metal.

OP
OP
Acquisitor

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
ok thanks!
I just tested the lobo in all metal and in disc with tiny gold (chains, bracelets, ear rings), and all metal DOES go deeper, for the tiniest pieces even twice as deep,(for example 2.5" vs 5" for tiny earrings etc).

I dont mind digging the iron, I know relatively small fresh water beaches where people have been swimming for many many decades, its "hunted out" by excaliburs and other less sensitive detectors, however with lobo its a gold mine ;) there are several gold items per square meter, not kidding, most of them are masked by small iron such as hair pins etc. I think its worth cleaning it completely.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just a reminder, the auto tracking only works in all metal. In disc mode the ground balance is factory set.

OP
OP
Acquisitor

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
well I switched to "all metal", and in some lakes with not too much trash, its awesome ;) sure, there is some iron there, like hair pins, but I dont mind it, the best finds are chains and bracelets, and they are missed by most other detectors. but not by me ;)

OP
OP
Acquisitor

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
so I ordered the 12x10 DD coil for my lobo, should be here on Monday, I will test it and post the results here, maybe someone will be interested.
will test micro jewelry, coins and gold rings/chains etc with both coils in all metal and disc.

it still surprises me that some people tend to think that putting a larger coil on the lobo does not increase depth, while others believe the depth should increase from an inch or two to "a lot".

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
Acquisitor said:
well I switched to "all metal", and in some lakes with not too much trash, its awesome ;) sure, there is some iron there, like hair pins, but I dont mind it, the best finds are chains and bracelets, and they are missed by most other detectors. but not by me ;)

You got it going on! Perfect gold jewelry combo,you will probably go deeper with the 9x8 conc,but that would be a better relic type combo,i think the 12x10 will do you justice for what you are doing.

OP
OP
Acquisitor

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
ok so I tested the standard stock coil 10x5" vs the new 12x10DD coil.
test subjects were: 0.4gr small earring, 0.6r big but hollow earring, micro bracelet 1.7 gr, small bracelet 3.5gr, wedding band 3gr, huge seal ring 14gr. ALL 18k.

the big coil could easily pick the micro jewerly showing an increase of 1-3" depending in the subject
the wedding band gave about 4" increase, and the big ring can be picked up at 40cm or 1ft 4"

I like the results.

all testing was done in disc, where disc was set at 2

Last edited:

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It totally depends on the soil. In highly minerlized or trashy soil, a larger diameter coil "sees" more minerlization at a time. The 10x12 coil covers a larger area, so the increased input of more trash or minerlization puts a higher demand on the ground compensation, and this is when you lose depth. Tesoro hints at this concept in their literature on the 10x12 widescan because they say not to use it in trashy soil. In mild to medium soil with little or no trash, you could easily get 10"+. Add trash or minerlization and your depth can easily be cut in half or worse. In gold country, minerlization can cut your depth down to 1"-2". So if your uncertain about conditions, go over your hunting area with several sizes of coils. In the example of your trashy park, there may be pockets of clear areas that the 10x12 will punch down through and help you make a good find that the small coil would have missed. That's why I always use several sizes of coils when I go over an area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread