Just ordered a Sand Shark

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I am in Australia and am finding Aussie 5 cent coin at 11 inches +. This is a small coin that weighs 2.8g
Am finding 20 cent coins at better than 16 inches in compact wet beach sand. The detector seems to be working well and it is just the jittery threshold that I Do not know whether it is normal or not.

if I turn the threshold up to the 12 oclock position I have to lower the volume. Doing this smoothes out the threshold but seems to reduce the sensitivity quite a lot. That is why i am running the vol at max and then turning the threshold down to just audible which happens to be at the 9 oclock position just up from the battery check.

wecandigit

Feb 8, 2011
Make sure a latch doesn't catch in your pocket and accidentally open up and flood it. Also, always remove battery pack when storing it. This is a great machine when cared for correctly.

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
You are right about that latch, I have snagged it once already, fortunately it is strong and tight.
Going out again this weekend. The SS is a great detector and has found quite a lot of stuff already at the beach and at some of my local fresh river picnic grounds.
I will try higher threshold settings up around 12 oclock and lower vol settings as suggested but I am not convinced that this is the best setting for max depth with this machine.

I also notice that when the frequency of tone is set it reverts to normal when the detector is switched off and then on again; The setting is not retained, Is this normal?

Last edited:

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Gave the SS another run today. This machine is very good.
I recovered another 7 coins. 4 sinkers, one ring. All at better than 11 inches in wet sand. One 20 cent coin was close to 20 inches. This coin gave a weak signal but still unmistakable.
10 cents, 5 cents, one and two dollar coins were detected somewhere between 11 and 16 inches. They came out in the third scoop all of these coins were badly corroded having been buried a long time and slap bang in the middle of the main detecting area and clearly missed by all of the other detectors that flog this beach on a daily basis, maybe they are using discrimination to eliminate our lesser value Aussie coins like the 5 and 10 cent. Oh well all the more for me.

The chatty threshold was under control at nothing more than an occasional quiet blip. The sensitivity and ease of operation of this detector is excellent.

JKPK1

Sep 27, 2009
Florida
Gave the SS another run today. This machine is very good.
I recovered another 7 coins. 4 sinkers, one ring. All at better than 11 inches in wet sand. One 20 cent coin was close to 20 inches. This coin gave a weak signal but still unmistakable.
10 cents, 5 cents, one and two dollar coins were detected somewhere between 11 and 16 inches. They came out in the third scoop all of these coins were badly corroded having been buried a long time and slap bang in the middle of the main detecting area and clearly missed by all of the other detectors that flog this beach on a daily basis, maybe they are using discrimination to eliminate our lesser value Aussie coins like the 5 and 10 cent. Oh well all the more for me.

The chatty threshold was under control at nothing more than an occasional quiet blip. The sensitivity and ease of operation of this detector is excellent.

Agree, I have dug some deep holes on SS hits. As for the other tips, yes I too have snagged a pocket a few times with the latch but was fortunate it did not open. Also, I remove the battery holder completely and remove the batteries when stored. The often mentioned hose down after hunting in the salt water, plus the rinsing of the twist clamp and pole sections is valid advice.

If only Tesoro would build a Tejon electronics into the SS case with waterproof controls...it would be a great all weather machine for everywhere except the ocean wet sand areas.

PK

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Agree, I have dug some deep holes on SS hits. As for the other tips, yes I too have snagged a pocket a few times with the latch but was fortunate it did not open. Also, I remove the battery holder completely and remove the batteries when stored. The often mentioned hose down after hunting in the salt water, plus the rinsing of the twist clamp and pole sections is valid advice.

If only Tesoro would build a Tejon electronics into the SS case with waterproof controls...it would be a great all weather machine for everywhere except the ocean wet sand areas.

PK

Interesting comment re the Tejon.
The Tiger Shark is a pretty good all weather machine

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Regarding the snagging of the clamps, I use two cable ties wrapped around the box to hold them shut. No accidental snags. It means that you have to cut them every time you open up the box, but zip ties are a few cents a piece versus a 4-700 dollar machine.

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Gave the SS and Infinium a run on Nov 11 at the beach.

Both found good stuff.
The INF purrs along smoother than the SS but both without question go deep . The Infinium was less troubled by salt than the SS which does give a slight positive response to the sand.
Found my deepest beach coin today with the Sand Shark and 10.5 inch coil. An 2006 50 cent coin at a definite 22 inches plus in the damp- ish sand and add about an inch or so for the distance of the coil above the sand. The Inf also responded to this coin no probs.
I am a hard core Infinium operator but there is no denying the Sand Sharks ability to pick out deep targets at the beach. Nice machine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread