Tips for a Tesoro Initiate!

Aug 16, 2012
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So after a couple months of hunting with the Tesoro Compadre, I've finally convinced a few buddies of mine to try out the hobby. I managed to grab a barely-used Cibola to start swinging on days my detector-less friends will need to borrow the faithful 'padre! 8-)

About to embark on a camping trip with these very friends to investigate a few locations we've been researching, and having never used the Cibola before, I've got two important questions for the experts out there: How's she swing and how's she sing? I'm sure the H.O.T. coils behave differently than the silent one I've been used to, and even after reading the manual, a few tips on settings ideal for coinshooting would be much appreciated. I've also heard a lot about super-tuning the unit and understand how to do it, but I also hear there's a trade-off for the depth, which I don't know much about.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd set the discrimination control knob pointer to the mark just below nickel and set the sensitivity as high as it will go without getting any chatter. Then dig all small sounding targets that are clear and don't break up. But I ain't no expert.:laughing9:

tabman

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The real fun starts when you upgrade to ground balance.

1953silver

Jan 30, 2011
New Jerey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Whites, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, if you like, set the thresh hold to about 3 o'clock. This will enable you get a loud tone/beep for all tagets regardless of how deep they are. If you set the thresh hold to about 12 - 1 o'clock you will get a diminishing tone/beep as targets get deeper.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SuburbiaStopPushing
Aug 16, 2012
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd set the discrimination control knob pointer to the mark just below nickel and set the sensitivity as high as it will go without getting any chatter. Then dig all small sounding targets that are clear and don't break up. But I ain't no expert.:laughing9:
Haha, more of an expert than me, at least! I'll try it out, thanks.

So I've heard! :) Though the soil in my area is less than problematic, so I haven't really been able to justify the purchase yet. I'd like my first detector with GB to be an E-Trac, but only after a few more years of getting the "beep and dig" down pat and saving my pennies.

Also, if you like, set the thresh hold to about 3 o'clock. This will enable you get a load tone/beep for all tagets regardles of how deep they are. If you set the thresh hold to about 12 - 1 o'clock you will get a diminishing tone/beep as targets get deeper.
Interesting! Despite being a single-tone machine, it seems the Cibola's sounds are pretty darn capable. Leave it to Tesoro to do a lot with a little, though.

I'm still not really sure what the difference between H.O.T. coils and silent-search. What differentiates the two technologies exactly?

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
... That's true .. for a Tesoro that does not have ground balance........ Every time you change to a larger or smaller coil ...Or just every time you change coils you have to send the coil and detector...... In to Tesoro to get the coil adjusted to the detector..... It can be a pain ..... and has shipping cost you pay........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread