Just got my new Sand Shark - First Impressions

1953silver

Jan 30, 2011
New Jerey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Whites, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I received my Sand Shark yesterday and I find it to be very well made, a good solid fell, and well balanced. I also love that fact that I can adjust the frequency of the tone and that you have 3 mounting options - very impressed. So looking forward to working the beach in a week or so. I know this is the right choice for working wet sand and the surf, my question is, how will it do in the dry sand?

OP
OP
1953silver

1953silver

Jan 30, 2011
New Jerey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Whites, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't be fooled with air test,because the wet sand shoots the signal,and on a pi gold will hit really deep.Since you got the 8 you can work the dry easier than 11,you can do it with extreme depth.You seen how Crawford does in dry fresh,he does great,remember? Nothing better than being a pi purest.When i get mine i am going into colonial period wooded areas to be a purest myself.Yeah you can venture up to the soft,you will dig old rusted beer caps at 12inches or more,but who cares your detecting on the beach.Get tired,go back to wet.No need to go to car for the vlf,you can do it! :-P

Thanks for the reply Chucky. The beaches on LBI in NJ are pretty clean and I'll be searching the wet and dry sand as well next week. Lots of tourist hit this Island yearly and I've not seen but 1 or 2 detectors working the beaches. I'm hoping to do well.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just remember there is four-times more garbage metal in the dry sand. You will wear yourself out on bottlecaps, pulltabs, paperclips, bobbypins, bread bag ties, beer cans at 20", you name it. Of course I have found gold bracelets, Ipods, telephones, earrings, toerings, and lots of clad in the dry sand to. The PI works EVERYWHERE, but beeps on EVERYTHING. Good Luck!

mortarman

Aug 12, 2012
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Teknetics Omega 8500, Garrett Master Hunter 7, Garrett Pro-pointer/ Stavr Scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I opened mine up today also and I have to agree with Mike 100%. Great well built machine!

OP
OP
1953silver

1953silver

Jan 30, 2011
New Jerey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Whites, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just remember there is four-times more garbage metal in the dry sand. You will wear yourself out on bottlecaps, pulltabs, paperclips, bobbypins, bread bag ties, beer cans at 20", you name it. Of course I have found gold bracelets, Ipods, telephones, earrings, toerings, and lots of clad in the dry sand to. The PI works EVERYWHERE, but beeps on EVERYTHING. Good Luck!

I've been using my VLF in the dry sand for that very reason, and the beach I've been hunting has not been to trashy. Of course it's not as deep as the "SS" so I'll probably see more trash then usual. I'll report back on the trip.

OP
OP
1953silver

1953silver

Jan 30, 2011
New Jerey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Whites, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I opened mine up today also and I have to agree with Mike 100%. Great well built machine!

I replaced the hardware holding the arm support with all stainless steel. I saw a photo in one of the forums were these stock hardware was corroded. I used 8/32 1.5 inches with locking nuts.

mortarman

Aug 12, 2012
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Teknetics Omega 8500, Garrett Master Hunter 7, Garrett Pro-pointer/ Stavr Scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I replaced the hardware holding the arm support with all stainless steel. I saw a photo in one of the forums were these stock hardware was corroded. I used 8/32 1.5 inches with locking nuts.
Thanks for the tip Mike. I'll do that myself also. I look forward to your report!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply Chucky. The beaches on LBI in NJ are pretty clean and I'll be searching the wet and dry sand as well next week. Lots of tourist hit this Island yearly and I've not seen but 1 or 2 detectors working the beaches. I'm hoping to do well.
Ha ha, lol, you just think the beaches are clean. Wait till that PI hits the dry, I got a feeling they will be much cleaner when you get done! Good luck and keep us posted.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you guys just rinse your machine off and air dry it after each beach use, you'll never have a problem with your hardware. Just a tip!

OP
OP
1953silver

1953silver

Jan 30, 2011
New Jerey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Whites, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you guys just rinse your machine off and air dry it after each beach use, you'll never have a problem with your hardware. Just a tip!

Hey Terry - I watched this video - excellent! Thanks!

LewieMD

Jul 29, 2012
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark 10.5 coil, RTG Pro 6" scoop.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have my Sand Shark since August 10th. It is a great machine, Be prepared, however, (as others have indicated) to dig a million bottlecaps, pull tabs, foil seals from bottles, etc. I have found that the Sand Sharks tone in the sand for a bottlecap, a pull tab and more is the same as that for a nickel and a quarter (a dime sounds less intense, usually, depending on depth).

Terry: I watched you vid and it is very helpful. My problem is this: after I hunted the first time I tried to follow your advice and take the machine apart to rinse and clean. The plastic lower shaft was tight in the middle metal shaft that it took me an hour to get it apart (very carefully I might add). I called Tesoro and spoke to an "Engineer" who suggested that I sand down the plastic lower shaft so that it would fit better. After I hung up I said to myself: "I just paid $600.00 for this machine and I have to sand down the shaft so it fits better?" Anyway, I am more than disheartened with Tesoro's customer service and I don't have to explain why. Now, after 12 uses on the beach, I absolutely cannot get the lower shaft free. Right now I have "Liquid Wrench" soaking the middle and lower shaft in the hope that it will come free.

So, other than that I love the machine, although I wish it would give me different sounds for trash.

If anyone can tell me how to free that shaft, I'd be very grateful.

Sorry for the long-winded post.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
..Terry: I watched you vid and it is very helpful. My problem is this: after I hunted the first time I tried to follow your advice and take the machine apart to rinse and clean. The plastic lower shaft was tight in the middle metal shaft that it took me an hour to get it apart (very carefully I might add). I called Tesoro and spoke to an "Engineer" who suggested that I sand down the plastic lower shaft so that it would fit better. After I hung up I said to myself: "I just paid $600.00 for this machine and I have to sand down the shaft so it fits better?" Anyway, I am more than disheartened with Tesoro's customer service and I don't have to explain why. Now, after 12 uses on the beach, I absolutely cannot get the lower shaft free. Right now I have "Liquid Wrench" soaking the middle and lower shaft in the hope that it will come free.

So, other than that I love the machine, although I wish it would give me different sounds for trash.

I remember your post and frustration with the "solution"you were offered by an unidentified person at Tesoro. As I relate in my standard care video for the Sand Shark, the lower plastic rod is a bear to initially remove and clean. I urge all to clean their beach machines every time, and apply a little bit of silicone to the top portion of the plastic rod before re-inserting it into the middle shaft. Had you done that Lew, you would have found it easier each time to remove and clean. At this point you need to soak it as you are doing, then get two vice grips and work it loose.

This isn't something that just happens with Sand Sharks. If you don't have 10-minutes to clean your machine after five-hours in the sand and saltwater and just tuck it in a corner of the garage till next time, you are asking for trouble. Fused rods are a common problem for owners of all brands that can't find the time to break down their machines and maintain them. Makes me wonder how often these same folks take out the batteries between uses, or silicone the o-ring.. Just saying.

LewieMD

Jul 29, 2012
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I remember your post and frustration with the "solution"you were offered by an unidentified person at Tesoro. As I relate in my standard care video for the Sand Shark, the lower plastic rod is a bear to initially remove and clean. I urge all to clean their beach machines every time, and apply a little bit of silicone to the top portion of the plastic rod before re-inserting it into the middle shaft. Had you done that Lew, you would have found it easier each time to remove and clean. At this point you need to soak it as you are doing, then get two vice grips and work it loose.

This isn't something that just happens with Sand Sharks. If you don't have 10-minutes to clean your machine after five-hours in the sand and saltwater and just tuck it in a corner of the garage till next time, you are asking for trouble. Fused rods are a common problem for owners of all brands that can't find the time to break down their machines and maintain them. Makes me wonder how often these same folks take out the batteries between uses, or silicone the o-ring.. Just saying.

Thank you very much for the response Terry. I did apply a lube to the lower shaft after getting it free the first time but (ashamedly) I did not take the shaft out again until I tried today. Please note, however, that the plastic shaft was not fitted correctly when new; I had to really push hard to get it into the metal middle section on the initial assembly, hence my call to Tesoro.

Anyway, when I get it free I will sand down that shaft and lube it before reassembling and rest assured I will be taking the whole machine apart after each use. And I do take out the batteries and silicone the O ring.

Thanks again for your advice and I will post the results as soon as the shaft is free. Now as long as I don't get the shaft.........:laughing9:

Lew

JKPK1

Sep 27, 2009
Florida
Silly question Lew, are you sure the latches are wound the correct way fully to allow the rod to be inserted or removed.

It seems regardless of the brand, the twist latches get fouled with sand and bind.

When I tear down both of our Sand Sharks, I must work the latches while running under water until I get them fully un-latched.

FWIW, there is an arrow that shows the direction with text as to the function.

Not saying this is your problem, but would not be surprised if it was.

PK

LewieMD

Jul 29, 2012
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Silly question Lew, are you sure the latches are wound the correct way fully to allow the rod to be inserted or removed.

It seems regardless of the brand, the twist latches get fouled with sand and bind.

When I tear down both of our Sand Sharks, I must work the latches while running under water until I get them fully un-latched.

FWIW, there is an arrow that shows the direction with text as to the function.

Not saying this is your problem, but would not be surprised if it was.

PK

Thanks PK. I am aware of the latch issue and the proper direction to unlock (arrow). I have locked it and unlocked it several times and am pretty sure that is not the issue, however I will try the water treatment and see if I am wrong. Again, please note that when I assembled the machine the first time, I had a difficult time trying to get the plastic rod in and out and then called Tesoro. I am positive the latch was unlocked at that time. Note that the upper section, after unlocking, pulls free from the middle section just as it should.

Thanks to all for the replies. I will call Tesoro tomorrow morning to see if they will swap the two lower sections for new ones that fit properly. Will post the result.

BTW, I soaked the rods overnight in Liquid Wrench and attempted to free the lower rod, using my vise and a Vise-Grip (carefully). Still cannot free the rod.

If anyone knows how I can free the rod, please advise.

Lew

Last edited:

bn81159

Jul 2, 2012
Boca Raton
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur 1000,Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
I have my Sand Shark since August 10th. It is a great machine, Be prepared, however, (as others have indicated) to dig a million bottlecaps, pull tabs, foil seals from bottles, etc. I have found that the Sand Sharks tone in the sand for a bottlecap, a pull tab and more is the same as that for a nickel and a quarter (a dime sounds less intense, usually, depending on depth).

Terry: I watched you vid and it is very helpful. My problem is this: after I hunted the first time I tried to follow your advice and take the machine apart to rinse and clean. The plastic lower shaft was tight in the middle metal shaft that it took me an hour to get it apart (very carefully I might add). I called Tesoro and spoke to an "Engineer" who suggested that I sand down the plastic lower shaft so that it would fit better. After I hung up I said to myself: "I just paid $600.00 for this machine and I have to sand down the shaft so it fits better?" Anyway, I am more than disheartened with Tesoro's customer service and I don't have to explain why. Now, after 12 uses on the beach, I absolutely cannot get the lower shaft free. Right now I have "Liquid Wrench" soaking the middle and lower shaft in the hope that it will come free.

I also have the Sand Shark and the exact same problem you have with the shaft. After a couple of hours dinking with i finally found out the shaft when assembled by the dealer i bought it from has 2 sets of locker pins and what i did was a small screw driver and push all the pins in and push them to the side of the holes. I squirted some wd30 on the shaft and around the locker nuts finally i got it to free up and take it apart and YES i did sand it a little like Tesero suggested.

Good Luck, Barry

LewieMD

Jul 29, 2012
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I also have the Sand Shark and the exact same problem you have with the shaft. After a couple of hours dinking with i finally found out the shaft when assembled by the dealer i bought it from has 2 sets of locker pins and what i did was a small screw driver and push all the pins in and push them to the side of the holes. I squirted some wd30 on the shaft and around the locker nuts finally i got it to free up and take it apart and YES i did sand it a little like Tesero suggested.

Good Luck, Barry

Thanks Barry. I will try again.

Lew

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread