SlingwingDave

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo ST
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I finally got my Tesoro LST yesterday and had a little fun with it, then got angry. I assembled it, and then started to air test it. When I got to testing the discrimination, I was very disappointed. I had the Disc down to 2 and it still wasn't even picking up a silver coin that I had not even 1 inch from the coil! I turned off and back on a few times and still nothing, so I decided to investigate the plug to the coil. I don't know if all Tesoros are like this but the plug from the coil had two flat sides in it and I was able to plug it in fairly easily with a snug fit. I flipped the plug around and then tried the air test again. It worked perfectly and exactly how the manual said it would. My question is, because I had the plug in backwards and powered the machine up, did it damage the machine or coil at all?

Chips

Jun 1, 2012
Wellington
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 Ltd, GTAx1000 (Coil Died), AT-Pro (died), Tesoro Sand Shark,Ctx3030, Whites V3i.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey I think that you may be ok. 8-)
I know they have a life time warranty and am sure that if a "misalignment of the plug" were a problem then,, they would have had a type of "one way key fit" plug or something like that.
I don't think they talk about it in the manual as a dangerous problem. Ok I am only talking from the point of, owning a Sand Shark. Others may have a better idea than me, but I would take it out give it a good few hours of ummm ""testing"" and see if it performs ok.
Usually if it were a problem there would be an acrid burning smell from the box or coil, or it just wouldn't work.. But since you say it now powers up and runs well, I think you're fine..
I would take it hunting :)
Good luck :)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are good to go now that you learned how to plug it in. People jump up and down yelling at me because their detector doesn't operate and then they learn they inserted a battery wrong. :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
S

SlingwingDave

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo ST
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info! I took it out for it's first run last night and was amazed at the sensitvity of that machine! Now if i can just find somebody interested in buying rusty nails, I'm in business!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dave, when I'm coinshooting with the Lobo, I discriminate at around level 4-5, never over 5, and set my sensitivity at aound 8. Always ground balance in All Metal before going into Discriminate mode, and be sure to stay in the Normal Soil mode. As soon as you flip into Discriminate mode with the Lobo, you lose considerable depth, I'm talking inches. So keep that in mind. In All Metal, a silver dime is obvious at 8". In Discriminate mode it is invisible after 6".

OP
OP
S

SlingwingDave

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo ST
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate the tips Terry! I didn't realize that discriminate took that much off. I was going around my house with disc around 4/5 and sensitivity at about 9. When I hit a target, I would go into all metal all metal to listen to the difference in the sounds to get familiar with it, then pinpoint. With those settings that I was using, 2 nails, a 3x3 inch piece of flashing, and some coiled up wire was found and all were at about 2 inches. I didn't expect to find much, the house was built in the mid 90's and a bridge needed to be built to get over a river so I didn't have my hopes set too high. I also wasn't using headphones so I also lost some depth that way. I was thinking that after I get a little more familiar with the machine, I'll invest in a pair of nugget busters and a pro-pointer so then I can start really looking for the good stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread