Add a coil to my Cibola

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I popped the 10" Eliptical from my Lobo Super Traq on it and it works GREAT!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I read here not long ago were .... Allcav .... said that if your Tesoro is not a manual ground balance.... like your Cibola if you change coils on the detector it has to be sent back to Tesoro to be tuned to your detector.. But that could get expensive to send your detector in every time you want to change coils..... I know of some that will not buy a Tesoro just because of that.......

OP
OP
rodbuster

rodbuster

Dec 1, 2009
Grant Park Il
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT 950/ 6" excelerator- MXT PRO 6x10 & 12"- Vaquero\ stock and 6" coil ''
Thanks Keppy,
I had read the same thing, and I do not want to send my detector in each time to have the coil changed. I really like my Cibola so I guess I just stay with the 9x8.
Thanks again.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Keppy,
I had read the same thing, and I do not want to send my detector in each time to have the coil changed. I really like my Cibola so I guess I just stay with the 9x8.
Thanks again.

Did you not read my reply? I took the 10" Eliptical off my Lobo Super Traq, and put it on the Cibola and it works great! I put the Cibola coil on the Lobo - It works just fine. You cannot damage the machine or the coil by trying it and experimenting.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't get me wrong i like tesoro but i was just saying what Allcav a Tesoro rep said .....And i just thought that being a rep from the company he know's what he is talking about....

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy is right about the coils. :icon_thumleft:
A different coil might work, but not as well as one that has been tuned to work with that detector. Detectors with GB don't need to be retuned for best results.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Did you not read my reply? I took the 10" Eliptical off my Lobo Super Traq, and put it on the Cibola and it works great! I put the Cibola coil on the Lobo - It works just fine. You cannot damage the machine or the coil by trying it and experimenting.
..... But then you would never know if the detector or coil is giving you the best it was made to do.....

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
..... But then you would never know if the detector or coil is giving you the best it was made to do.....

I am not arguing with you Keppy. I am just relating my experience. If I can get better performance with a "tuned" Eliptical, I'll take it, because I'm already nailing dimes at 7" with ease discriminating out iron and most bottle caps. I'll check with Rusty Henry and get back to you on what he tells me, but I would be more than surprised if "tuning" the coil to the Cibola is really going to make a huge difference - but heck, It's not like I haven't been wrong before!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I am not arguing with you Keppy. I am just relating my experience. If I can get better performance with a "tuned" Eliptical, I'll take it, because I'm already nailing dimes at 7" with ease discriminating out iron and most bottle caps. I'll check with Rusty Henry and get back to you on what he tells me, but I would be more than surprised if "tuning" the coil to the Cibola is really going to make a huge difference - but heck, It's not like I haven't been wrong before!
Terry .. I am not arguing with you either........ I am going by what i have heard an by what.. Allcav .. has said.... And he is a company rep so i thought he would know.......

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
I would not send it to open it up for that.I would put money on that it will work fine.Keep the factory setting were it is and try the coils you want,it will be all right.I have put on my golden umax six different coils,it has no manual ground balance and every coil worked perfect for me including a 15x12 sef,the 12x10dd,that came with the Outlaw,no problem at all.

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
Keppy,all the old timers want to make things so difficult.My golden did not change any changing coils.It stayed right were the stock coil is at.Yes by theory,but yes it works good for me on the golden.And have heard from many with cibolas and it worked great for them.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well with some new info i will have to say ..That Terry & SpiritRelic ... Are right you do not have to send your Tesoro in to be tuned when you change coils....

Allcav

Jun 14, 2011
Prescott, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the thing about factory preset ground rejection. We tune the machine to the coil. No one coil is the same as the other when it comes to grounding it. Is it going to be close? It could be. Will you notice a difference? Maybe not. Is it possible that it is off and you will loose targets? Yes it is possible. If it is too positive, you will loose silver. If it is too negitive, you could pick up hot rocks depending on how negative.
You can check it for your self. Put it in all metal mode and bounce it towards the ground. If you know how to ground balance, you will know if it is off and by how much. So push the pinpoint button in, and test it yourself!

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well with some new info i will have to say ..That Terry & SpiritRelic ... Are right you do not have to send your Tesoro in to be tuned when you change coils....
Thanks Allcav you see for me not to get ones to mixed up.... I did not say you should not i said you don't have to.....That means that if you think you should send it in ...And if you think you don't have to then don't send it in........I am done here it's just to much for me to comprehend.................... "comprehend" in webster means = to understand fully

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions