Lightweight headphones for Tesoro.

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
I would like to know what you use for lightweight headphones?.I have two pair of the big high end headphones,but they are just uncomfortable to me.So on the Walmart site i found this very small miniature koss v20 volume control.Since tesoro has no volume control this device is a must have for lightweight headphones or earbuds.Plus i use a extension cord coming off of the device to give my lightweight phones more length,so i can stand up with detector on the ground.This volume control is very small,has a clip on the back.I paid for this item at the electronics counter at my local Walmart,because it was not offered at the store.So the clerk let me purchase it off line right there at the counter so i purchased two.$7 & change a piece.

IMG_20120917_010048.jpg

.They were mailed to my door step.Maybe when it gets cool i will try the big phones but most likely not,the lightweight phones are just right.In the store in electronics i got these lightweight phones called ifrogz,they are perfect.Let me know what you use.

IMG_20120917_010223.jpg

OP
OP
SpiritRelic

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
I am trying to get some input here because on the tejon the detector pro headphones will not cut down all the way in one ear.So i am experimenting with the best lightweight headphone setup for the Tesoro.I am really liking the Koss volume control.I think i am going to try the JVC Gummys on the next hunt with this control.Ear buds are good,you can hear snakes and hear the signal.

Allcav

Jun 14, 2011
Prescott, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am lucky enough to be getting hearing aids from the VA that have bluetooth built in. So I plan on getting an adapter for me. I do not have them yet, but according to my doctor, they are going to be better than headphones.

OP
OP
SpiritRelic

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
That sounds great Allcav.I am liking the lightweight setup now more & more.The big phones just are not my style.I like keeping everything light and easy.

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Have you tested the killerB they are quite light (to me) and most important they're very comfy. I have a pair of black widows, the whites wireless and the killerB, the last ones feel as if I wasn't wearing any headphone.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

OP
OP
SpiritRelic

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
norbyx said:
Have you tested the killerB they are quite light (to me) and most important they're very comfy. I have a pair of black widows, the whites wireless and the killerB, the last ones feel as if I wasn't wearing any headphone.

Thanks norbyx.Do me a favor please?put the killer bees on with the tejon.Are you getting a threshold tone even though the volume,duel,or single volume on the killer bees,this does not matter.So the volume is all the way down.If you still are hearing a threshold tone lightly wave a coin.Does it seem loud in one ear even though the volume is all the way down?.I have had trouble with all high end headphones with the mono/stereo switch on a tejon and Vaquero high/tone were the volume will not lower all the way in on ear?

OP
OP
SpiritRelic

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
norbyx said:

Thanks norbyx.Do me a favor please?put the killer bees on with the tejon.Are you getting a threshold tone even though the volume,duel,or single volume on the killer bees,this does not matter.So the volume is all the way down.If you still are hearing a threshold tone lightly wave a coin.Does it seem loud in one ear even though the volume is all the way down?.I have had trouble with all high end headphones with the mono/stereo switch on a tejon and Vaquero high/tone were the volume will not lower all the way in on ear?

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Will do as soon as I get the tejon.... Should be here by the end of the week.

OP
OP
SpiritRelic

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
I needed to mention tesoro uses a stereo standard headphone jack were as Whites uses a mono jack plug as most other brands such as MineLab so working with headphones with a Tesoro is different.Any mono only style headphones require a stereo to mono jack plug for the detector jack.Same with lightweight headphone setup,stereo to stereo mini plug. What am i forgetting?I forgot what i was thinking?. Oh Well :-P .

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Other
Check my other tejon thread!!! Anyway test was made and the sound is the same on both ears. Just doesn't go to zero.

OP
OP
SpiritRelic

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
Well i tested out the jvc gummy ear buds on the koss volume control plugged into the Golden Umax and it works great.You can hear around you,park,woods,etc...and here the signal because the speaker is in your ear you can turn the volume lower and really hear around good.You have to pull the earbud cord up through your shirt and it stays good.I use a heavier extension coming off of the control that is hooked to the back rod.

IMG_20120928_193141.jpg Oh the new 12x10 DD is awesome on the Golden Umax.With this combination,i am walking to the park and hitting a silver coin a day :-$ :-! .

IMG_20120928_193234.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120928_201014.png
    ForumRunner_20120928_201014.png
    215.4 KB · Views: 188
OP
OP
SpiritRelic

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
Hint to aftermarket headphone manufactures.There is a huge need for lightweight metal detector headphones made in stereo only and mono only.Wake up,you know the mono/stereo switch is improperly designed.Did you hear what norbyx said when i asked him to try the high end headphones on the tejon?He said they would not cut down all the way!.These high end headphones are advertised to work on all metal detectors mono or stereo.Don't get cocky because i can sound a consumer alert on a defective product that can damage peoples hearing at a touch of a button!Now,are you,yes i am talking to you big dog.Are you going to make the proper headphones or not,the choice is yours.You need to say or do something like fast or this will be brought to the advanced level,you don't want this do you.Well what you gonna do,say something. :-[ I am sick of being the one to bring these facts out,but nobody has ever challenged this issue but me.That was just one question to one random detectorist and he said the headphones will not cut down in one ear.I know you other guys and girls have no problem right?Maybe norbyx did not know how to cut his headphones down?Or it is just me?Something needs to be said here,i telling you,i am not joking.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SpiritRelic

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
I have done extensive research into the headphone issue.I have bought over five hundred dollars worth of high end headphones and there are only,what four manufactures of these so called makers of these high end headphones.The two models that are made for relic hunters that only have the one cup,so one could hear dangers in the woods will not cut down to a proper level,especially more so on the tejon and high tone Vaquero.At the lowest volume setting,when you hit a target it will rattle your ear drum.I would love to use one of these pair of headphones but i cannot take the loud ear bashing that occurs with both,the killer bees stingers and the detector pro rattlers.Why can't they be designed to work properly on a tesoro.This is caused by the mono/stereo switch wiring configuration to make the headphones universal applications,but it does not perform right on a tesoro because of the fixed high volume setting on the detector with no way to cut the volume down on the detector.If there is no room in the control box for a volume control i would just have the speaker removed and have a volume knob were the speaker is mounted.There are many detectors on the market with no speaker that are highly rated detectors.Someone could design a plug in speaker that you could clip to the back rod on around your upper arm if one wants a speaker.This would make all new Tesoro models practically water proof once the speaker hole is gone out of the control box.Tesoro why can't we get some new ideas and innovation with one of the best in the world.But you want the same old same old.The lightweight aspect of your designs of detectors is the best thing you have going.Why not take it to the next level and really stand out from the competition.I mean put some kind of idea on the table.You are beginning to fall if you cannot come up with something.Even a dumb back woods boy like me can throw something out there to contemplate.A carbon fiber rod,weather proof designs,you don't have to convert your circuits to digital,lets just do something different,i cannot keep supporting you if you keep going like this.Come up with something.Go micro,digital,you don't have to follow the competition,just think outside the box and you will continue to be the best metal detector company in the world.Please.

bigtruck68

Jul 24, 2012
Pittsburgh,Pa
Detector(s) used
whites xlt * minelab sovereign xs * whites 6000 DI Pro * musketeer xs * xp deus* etrac*tesoro vaquero *
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i bought a set of garrett stowaway headphones on ebay for $21 ,they work real good on my deleon, they arent real big but they arent small like the earbuds either, you may want to try those.

SocalJim

Sep 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys I also use the Koss volume control as I do not like headphones that go over the top of my head.This way I can wear a big floppy hat for sun protection and hear whats going on around me I have had no problem with this setup at the beach. It's nice to be able to have a conversation without pulling off your headphones. I use the Koss KSC75 with the earclips very light and also inexpensive under 15 dollars on amazon. Iluv also makes a volume control but has a very short lead but works just as well. By using a volume control your choice of headphones becomes unlimited. Finally I wholeheartedly agree with Spiritrelic a volume control should be a no brainer since 90 % of us use headphones and the cost is so minimal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread