Vaquero 9x8 to 5.75 widescan coil comparison

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took the Vaquero out to a local park that was built in the 1920's hoping to find something old and good. I started out with the stock coil to cover more ground. Unfortunately, I forgot my headphones. I noticed the volume was fairly low without the headphones. Also there was alot of masking going on in some of the trashier areas. Pinpointing was a bit tricky, I missed a few targets at first. Partly because I usually swing the Compadre, or the V with the 5.75 coil. I decided to switch over to the 5.75 widescan about 1 hour into the hunt. The first thing I noticed is how much louder the signals were. Pinpointing with the 5.75 was a breeze compared to the stock coil. I also noticed the first target I dug with the 5.75 was a metal bottle cap. The disc was set to iron, and with the stock coil the metal bottle caps were disc'ing out. with the 5.75 coil i needed to turn up the disc about 1 more notch compared to stock coil. I also notice the double beeps in disc mode when target is at, or close to the surface. As someone else said, I use it as a depth meter for shallow targets. Also, as soon as you go into pinpoint (all-metal) mode the double beep is a nonpoint. I noticed I was digging smaller holes with the 5.75 as my pinpointing confidence was improving with it. This was the first time I tried these coils back to back. I cant see any reason to use the stock coil, (maybe meteroites?) now that I've tried the 5.75. I feel the 5.75 dd is more sensitive, and just better overall (especially in trash). Also faster pinpointing means faster recovery, which means increased productivity! The higher audio volume of the 5.75 is interesting, but I think it is definitely a good thing. Overall, I dug about 45 targets in the 2 hours I was there, 32 targets were newer coins, mostly pennies. I also found a pewter toy dinosaur about 2 inches long. All coins were found at 8 inches or less. Just thought I would share this with anyone who may be interested in the 5.75 widescan coil for the V. Scott

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
Scott,it sounds like you are figuring out that thing very quick.If i want to go really deep in a area i supertune the Vaquero.The Vaq is the only current model that is made to be supertuned if needed,pick up about almost two more inches.The Vaq does not have much of a modulated signal in the disc mode,so for depth check in disc,while pinpointing in disc,raise the coil,and if the signal cuts out on a small rise of coil,you could have a deep target.The 10x5 elliptical dd is very good also.

OP
OP
atomicscott

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good info! That is exactly the way I do it Spirit, by lifting the coil until the signal drops then adding the additional inches to total the overall depth of about 8". I found it works within an inch plus or minus for the most part. I've tried the supertuning it but I get a bit of chatter at higher gain, so I sometimes will just switch to all metal to get the extra depth. I think those deep targets are easier to gauge depth on in all metal mode anyway. The small coil really makes the V a different machine (not that it's not great with the stock coil too). I considered the 10x5 lobo coil, but heard the 5.75 was closer to, if not the same as stock depth. I'd like to have both coils, but I'd have to justify it to the wife somehow. Maybe when I find her a nice gold ring?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread