Using Tesoro Vaquero for gold hunting?

starprince

Greenie
Aug 30, 2005
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites 6000DI Series 3, Bounty Hunter Big Bud Pro, Fisher 1212X, Garrett American AM-2, Garrett Beach Hunter AT3, and Garrett Hunter BFO (Retired but still works)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering if anyone has used the Varquero for nugget/gold hunting?

The non-motion all metal mode (if I hold it over target a while) has me a bit worried as it seems to zero out over metal targets and go silent. Thats ok for coin hunting, but gold hunting? My old whites vlf/tr does not do this, tone stays strong over metal targets and continues.

Any experts on this subject?

Thx

Attachments

• vaquero.jpg
    vaquero.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 1,471

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Vaquero is more of a relic, coin, and jewelry detector, but can certainly be used for ocassional gold prospecting. It is not the best tool for the job. If you look for gold nuggets most of the time, get a Lobo Super Traq. If you look for gold sometimes, but detect other targets more often (jewelry, etc), then get the Vaquero.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I echo what Terry said! I've use the 5.75 widescan coil for nuggetshooting (the stock 9x8 coil is not very good in heavy black sand). I'm finding alot of sub to 1 grain shot with it in mineralized areas. The ground balance can be a bit touchy, you really need to stay on top of it. The only time the 'V' should be going silent over targets is from an overload (super loud) signal. Usually because the target is huge, or the target is super shallow or actually laying on the ground. The Vaquero will work for small 1-3 grain nuggets (with the small widescan coil), but It's not the first choice for the job. Steve Herschbach has some good things to say about the 'V' on his AMDS site. Good luck! Scott

Allcav

Jun 14, 2011
Prescott, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I too agree. But get a Widescan coil. It works better in the conditions you will find gold!

OP
OP
starprince

starprince

Greenie
Aug 30, 2005
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites 6000DI Series 3, Bounty Hunter Big Bud Pro, Fisher 1212X, Garrett American AM-2, Garrett Beach Hunter AT3, and Garrett Hunter BFO (Retired but still works)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats what I figured its more for coin/relic hunting. I'm going to give it a try anyway and see what happens. I should have enough in the cookie jar $ for a 5.75 widescan coil, I wanted one anyway for coin hunting in trashy areas.

Thanks guys for all the advise!

Last edited:

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You won't be sorry you got a V. The good thing about the V is that it great for beginers as well as advanced operaters, so you really never outgrow it. It out performs many other detector three times it's price. I had a V for a while, then I got the big idea to trade up to a Tejon. I love the Tejon, but I wish I had kept the V and just bought the Tejon outright. My next detector is another V.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread