Finally took the plunge....

Devi

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2012
Hoosierland
Detector(s) used
Just bought my very first detector -- Tesoro Silver uMax!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After 10 years of yearning over a metal detector and always having "better" things to spend my money, I finally took the plunge this morning and ordered a Tesoro Silver uMax. Lurking and reading large portions of the TreasureNet forum (and about 20 pages of the Tesoro section) definitely helped push me over the edge into buying, and helped me decide the best detector for me! Now all I have to do is wait for my detector to get to me.....this is going to be the longest three days of my life! Even worse, it will arrive right when rain and cold set in. Good thing I'll be staying in my yard for a while. C'est la vie! :laughing7:

I inherited my childhood home from my father, and my neighborhood was a city cornfield in an older part of our city until about 1950, when all the houses were built. When I was a child, my parents actually knew the woman who had owned the entire neighborhood, and she showed me pictures. I've seen quite a few finds in some cornfields, but should I even hope to find anything in my yard that I might not have buried as a child? It's not a high traffic area now, although it may have been when it was a field. Has anyone here found anything in a old cornfield? Just curious!

jfeeney

Sep 16, 2012
Dayton
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on taking the plunge! I am still waiting to pull the trigger on a Tesoro Outlaw. I think I have my wife talked into it, but she wants to wait until Christmas and make it my present.

I've been swinging a "toy" detector from Harbor Freight for a couple of months finding a bunch of things, but I am sure I am missing a whole lot more. I've been using the time practicing digging plugs and pinpointing.

OP
OP
D

Devi

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2012
Hoosierland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jfeeny.....don't get me wrong, this is a combination birthday/Christmas present. :) You're way ahead of me since you know how to dig plugs and pinpoint. I have a lot of practice to do in my backyard!

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your house is from the 50's then you definitely have a good chance to find wheat pennies and maybe some silver dimes and quarters! The other day I detected a foundation of a house that burnt down in the 50's with my tesoro vaquero and found 7 wheats and a silver dime within a 10 square foot area and there's still a lot more area to cover. Good luck and congrats on the new machine!

jfeeney

Sep 16, 2012
Dayton
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I"ve been waiting for a good opportunity to test the waters again on ordering my Outlaw. We have a $100 agreement of not purchasing anything over that amount without discussing it.

Devi is your MD arriving tomorrow or Thursday?

OP
OP
D

Devi

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2012
Hoosierland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jfeeney, it arrived yesterday (Wednesday). Had to clear out a storage unit so not much time to test it, but in the backyard my very first find was an old barbecue grill that my father left on the ground (only about an inch or two down). That Silver about took my ears off! I also found what my husband thinks is the bottom of an old lightbulb about 3 inches down. I definitely need to learn how to cut plugs though....I'm messy! Good thing my yard is pretty big, so I can get more practice.

Bobby S, I really hope I find some old coins. One of the big reasons I wanted to MD was because I'm an old coin fanatic. I can't afford eBay prices, but when I used to be a cashier when I was younger, I made sure to trade out and buy any silver, foreign coins, and blue notes that I found. I have a decent little collection from that, but I want Barbers, Seated Libertys, and things like that! Crossing my fingers!

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Devi said:
Jfeeney, it arrived yesterday (Wednesday). Had to clear out a storage unit so not much time to test it, but in the backyard my very first find was an old barbecue grill that my father left on the ground (only about an inch or two down). That Silver about took my ears off! I also found what my husband thinks is the bottom of an old lightbulb about 3 inches down. I definitely need to learn how to cut plugs though....I'm messy! Good thing my yard is pretty big, so I can get more practice.

Bobby S, I really hope I find some old coins. One of the big reasons I wanted to MD was because I'm an old coin fanatic. I can't afford eBay prices, but when I used to be a cashier when I was younger, I made sure to trade out and buy any silver, foreign coins, and blue notes that I found. I have a decent little collection from that, but I want Barbers, Seated Libertys, and things like that! Crossing my fingers!

I'm still on the hunt for those kinds of coins too. I have the tesoro vaquero and its a great machine. Tesoro in general is just a great company

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to this wonderful, rewarding hobby! You will never regret it. Yes there are things to find in a corn field. I suggest that you do some research to see where other buildings would have been where the field is now. Enjoy :)

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I hunted a corn field that had a store on it in 1749. No obvious signs. Found lots of musket balls, rosehead nails, some gun parts and 2 cut Spanish Reales from 1730s or earlier. Just because it is a corn field now does'nt mean there wasn't something there in the past.

gildeal

Sep 9, 2011
Daytona Beach florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your purchase, the Silver Umax is a very good detector! The old cornfield may have been an encampment at one time, or who knows what has gone before?
be sure to branch out, hit as many areas as you can, and those goodies will come with time. Have fun, and enjoy! research is a big part of this hobby, your local library will get you started with researching your area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread