DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Behind my dads house there's a foundation from a house in the 50's that burnt down. Let me tell you it's junk galore. The other day I used the stock 9x8 coil and although I dug a lot of junk I managed to find 7 wheaties and a silver dime. I figured if I tried out the 5.75 coil I might be able to find a lot more. Well I got unlucky today because I was having a lot more trouble separating targets with it. Idk if its because there were a lot of smaller pieces of junk that were more sensitive or what, but I expected it would be easier not harder. Any input on what might be the case

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You could try lowering your sensitivity and search the area you hit with the 9x8. The new area might have been junkier, so it might not have been a fair comparison.

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in the same area where I was detecting before, give or take 5-10 feet but no matter where I was swinging with it, there were just choppy signals and the ones that were solid I knew were junk..the 9x8 coil was hitting strong on the coins and the 5.75 was having issues separating targets. I mean this spot is beyond trashy. If I put the detector on all metal, I cant even find a spot to ground balance its that bad. I'm just curious as to why I was having better luck with the stock coil than the 5.75 which is meant for trashy areas

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The smaller coil is more sensitive to smaller items and it is still a crap shoot to get only one item under the coil at a time. However the factor here is the place burned down and made the ground conditions change and be more positive so it sets off the detector. Small pieces of cinder and the like.

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The smaller coil is more sensitive to smaller items and it is still a crap shoot to get only one item under the coil at a time. However the factor here is the place burned down and made the ground conditions change and be more positive so it sets off the detector. Small pieces of cinder and the like.
Yea true. I'm really surprised I found what I did with the stock coil with there being so much trash. I'm just gonna take a day and dig whatever seems reasonable

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry to highjack your thread but Sandman, what are you referring to? What is the detector picking up where the house burned?

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shanegalang said:
Sorry to highjack your thread but Sandman, what are you referring to? What is the detector picking up where the house burned?

With the stock coil I was picking up pieces of rusted metal and stuff and smaller pieces of foil. I thought it was iron, but I had it DISCed out so I'm hoping my detector isn't out of tune. The smaller coil was picking up even smaller pieces of foil and small nails and washers and stuff..again, with iron supposedly DISCed out

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the stock coil I was picking up pieces of rusted metal and stuff and smaller pieces of foil. I thought it was iron, but I had it DISCed out so I'm hoping my detector isn't out of tune. The smaller coil was picking up even smaller pieces of foil and small nails and washers and stuff..again, with iron supposedly DISCed out
Just my 2 cents Bobby, but I've noticed that with the 5.75 (widescan), it is difficult if not impossible to disc out larger pieces of iron completely, or even small iron in high concentrations. Sometimes I will dig the larger pieces to get them out of the way (to recheck the spot), but other times I will just size them and if its a large signal, I will move on looking for the smaller signals that would more likely be a coin. i try to avoid any signals that are clipped (usually larger nails, rusty bolts, etc...) or strong but broken signals (usually foil or pulltabs). I usually run my disc at the 2nd line past iron. Hope this helps. Good luck! Scott

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you are detecting an area where something burned down you not only have lots more nails laying at different angles in the ground but the cinders are more sensitive to the detector's field and it then responds in kind. It is almost impossible to ground balance these areas as it changes so much within a couple feet. Red bricks can also set off detectors as will terra cotta tiles or pieces of them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread