Tesoro vs Etrac

barberman

Oct 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Money....hard to come by these days. Everyone says the $1,500 E-Trac is the way to go for coins. But then Tesoro users say a Vaquero or Outlaw are just as deep and has similar descrimination (53silver). Played with an E-trac and found it a little different, recovery slow and a little heavy. Of course any new machine seems different at first.

$1,500.... I could buy 3 Tesoro's or 1 E-trac. Was in Topeka, Kansas yesterday at a Whites dealer, the guy said Minelab's dealer profit was around $400. Coming from a dealer selling another brand I took little stock in his statement.

I've had a little experience with Tesoro and found the recovery very quick and the detector light weight.

Just wondering what Tesoro users thoughts are. Kinda of looking at the Outlaw, Cibola and Vaquero. Thank you.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can't compare a Minelab E-trac to a Tesoro Outlaw, or Vaquero. They are completey different machines that cater to different detecting skills, wants, and needs. I hunt with E-trac and CTX 3030 owners all the time. I usually have my Cibola, or my Lobo Super Trac when I'm with them on fields or in parks and woods. The Minelab machines have superior discrimination for several reasons, starting with multiple frequencies and filtering prgrams. That also makes them slower, both to recover and use.

I like my Tesoro Lobo Super Trac when I'm park hunting, because I know I will NOT walk over the gold chain my buddy with the E-trac will miss - BUT, here's the catch. I'm in All Metal, and reverse discriminating, which means I'm digging far more pulltabs and deep iron. It is a price that -I- am willing to pay, because in 30+ years I have found a lot of gold that folks with "better" machines have walked over.

I hunt with guys that don't give a rat's tail about gold, they JUST want old silver coins. A Minelab E-trac, or CTX 3030 fits that bill perfectly. I own a minelab GPX 5000 for gold nugget hunting only. You need a few clubs in the bag to get the best score.

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like my Vaquero where I can pick up gold if it was there and get the old silver coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions