LST Depth

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy All, I've been using my Lobo Super Traq for a few months now and my only complaint is being able to find deep targets. I have been hunting a soybean field that had a 1740s store site on it. I'm finding mucket balls, rusty rosehead nails, lead pieces, and some brass pieces. Everything is less than 5 inches deep, most are 3 inches or so. I'm running disc at 2 and sensitivity from 8 to max. It has the stock coil. I am sweeping slow and low. The compadre that i used there last year was reaching deeper by a few inches. I found 2 cut 2 reales with it last year. Do ya'll have any advice on how to reach deeper? Thanks Steve

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Robert. With discrimination set below 4, you should be getting much better depth. With that said, the Lobo ST is really meant to be used in All Metal with the audible threshold. When you switch to discriminate mode, you DO lose significant depth. Be sure you are groundbalancing in All Metal, BEFORE switching to discriminate mode!!

OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy, I have been ground balancing in all metal before switching to disc. I am not getting anything deeper than 5 inches except large iron pieces. I usually hunt with disc. set at 2 or 3 and sensitivity at 8 or higher. I've tried using it in all metal mode and really am not getting any deeper. I have really hit this field hard and i know there has to be more there but without them plowing it, i don't see me getting much more. It really has me wondering if something is wrong with the detector or is it me {probably me}.

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Are you using Normal minerals?
It is not very often that you would have to select Black Sand or Hi Minerals but if the detector is a bit chirpy in disc then you could try a different ground mineral setting.
My LST has no probs locating Quarter size coin at 8 inches in lightly iron mineralised ground in Disc Mode. Searching in All Metal is the way to go then switch to disc to attempt Target ID if you need to but remember that in the disc mode the mineralisation will effect the target ID accuracy.

The LST tends to be a bit mellow on deep targets so you need to listen carefully in all metal and a weak signal in All metal will likely go undetected in the Disc Mode unless you set disc to zero. Setting the disc above 2 will definately lose small gold items.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Howdy, I have been ground balancing in all metal before switching to disc. I am not getting anything deeper than 5 inches except large iron pieces. I usually hunt with disc. set at 2 or 3 and sensitivity at 8 or higher. I've tried using it in all metal mode and really am not getting any deeper. I have really hit this field hard and i know there has to be more there but without them plowing it, i don't see me getting much more. It really has me wondering if something is wrong with the detector or is it me {probably me}.

I think you should send it in to Tesoro, and ask them to re-tune your coil. Rephasing should solve your problem.

OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Terry, I sent Tesoro an email asking if it would be ok to send it back for repairs. I'm waiting tohear back from them. Thanks steve

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just call, they always answer the phone.

Hi Terry, I sent Tesoro an email asking if it would be ok to send it back for repairs. I'm waiting tohear back from them. Thanks steve

OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's headed to Tesoro in the morning. Already can't wait to get it back. I''l be using the Compadre when my daughter isn't. Thanks All, steve

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Be sure to give us an update when it gets back!!

OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First trip out will be the 1749 store site. The 2 cut Spanish 2 realse were found in the top 4 inches. There has to be more down deep. Thanks Again to everyone. steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread