Tesoro Lobo Metal Detector?

MetalDetectMatt

Oct 24, 2012
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am planning on purchasing a second detector. Right now I have the ace 250, which I like allot but I can see that it is limited to a degree. But beyond that I am starting to get use to the tone, and it seems more of a trouble looking at the screen. I figure The ace I can let a friend go detecting with me, or use it as a back up like so many on this forum seems to do. My questions is, how does the Tesoro Lobo preform? I am sold at the lifetime warranty, but I would like to hear a little feedback from those that have used it. Any members on here care to give a little feedback on this machine? 8-)

http://www.kellycodetectors.com/tesoro/tesoro-lobo.php

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Lobo Super Traq is built as a dedicated gold nugget hunter. I have used it very successfully as a coin hunter as well, but because it is SO sensitive to even the smallest targets, it does love big, deep iron, when using discrimination below nickel. On the plus side, in All Metal, you will not walk over gold chains and if you get tired of digging everything, you can knock out everything but clad and silver.

Allcav

Jun 14, 2011
Prescott, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Lobo Super Traq is built as a dedicated gold nugget hunter. I have used it very successfully as a coin hunter as well, but because it is SO sensitive to even the smallest targets, it does love big, deep iron, when using discrimination below nickel. On the plus side, in All Metal, you will not walk over gold chains and if you get tired of digging everything, you can knock out everything but clad and silver.

\
Very well put Terry!

OP
OP
MetalDetectMatt

MetalDetectMatt

Oct 24, 2012
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the insight Terry, After reading up and watching some more videos on this detector I think this is the one I am going to aim for. It seems like a power house of a machine!

OP
OP
MetalDetectMatt

MetalDetectMatt

Oct 24, 2012
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Terry, One question I have thought of with this machine or any machine that works completely on tone. How do you tell how deep it is once you detect an object? I know on the ace it shows the depth which helps on guessing how deep to dig, but with the lobo is it just dig and find out or is there a feature on it to gauge the depth?

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
if you want to give your lobo a significant depth boost, consider the 10x12" coil tesoro is offering, it worked like a charm for me. However, I use it only in water til neck deep, so I'm not sure how the bigger coil would react to small gold flakes

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
if you want to give your lobo a significant depth boost, consider the 10x12" coil tesoro is offering, it worked like a charm for me. However, I use it only in water til neck deep, so I'm not sure how the bigger coil would react to small gold flakes
..You use your lobo Super Trak in water up to your neck..?????????????????????????????????????????

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A great gold detector, that goes really deep, and it does really well in bad minerlization. It has a lot of positives, two that really stand out is the lifetime warranty and the nine accessory coil selection. The only thing I would modify is the pole. I want to get one of those Minelab style poles with the handle that sticks up.

Thank you for the insight Terry, After reading up and watching some more videos on this detector I think this is the one I am going to aim for. It seems like a power house of a machine!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry, One question I have thought of with this machine or any machine that works completely on tone. How do you tell how deep it is once you detect an object? I know on the ace it shows the depth which helps on guessing how deep to dig, but with the lobo is it just dig and find out or is there a feature on it to gauge the depth?

Signal strength. It takes about 50-hours on the headphones to get it down, but the bottom line is you can tell deeper targets (6"+) from shallow targets by the strength of the signal. The vast majority of good targets in my 30+ years of digging are at 4"-6" in depth, and I am at the point now where I can usually just pop them out with the tip of my Lesche, as the 10" eliptical coil pinpoints like a dream.

OP
OP
MetalDetectMatt

MetalDetectMatt

Oct 24, 2012
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
..You use your lobo Super Trak in water up to your neck..?????????????????????????????????????????

Lol, Is the LST water proof? I know the coil is, but can the box be used in water up to a person's neck?

Signal strength. It takes about 50-hours on the headphones to get it down, but the bottom line is you can tell deeper targets (6"+) from shallow targets by the strength of the signal. The vast majority of good targets in my 30+ years of digging are at 4"-6" in depth, and I am at the point now where I can usually just pop them out with the tip of my Lesche, as the 10" eliptical coil pinpoints like a dream.

Thank you again for the great info Terry :) . When I get the LST in my hands I will be spending some quality time with it and get attuned with the sounds and tones. I Have been reading through the posts on this forum about Gold Detectors and I keep coming back to the LST as it keeps coming up as a suggested detector. One other thing I was curious about, and I tried to find a glossary of some sort with Metal detecting lingo. What does "Hot rocks" mean? I have seen you use this word along with others, If I had to guess I would say they are Rocks that give off false positives?

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011

yes, the control box is fixed by a belt behind my head.. the cable is long enough to do that

ofc the detector will break if it gets wet :) but it wont happen. The coil is waterproof. I think the lobo with a small and a big coil (depending on the conditions) is one of the best water detectors out there. But only for fresh water. It's way more powerful than tigershark anyway, especially with a large DD coil

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
yes, the control box is fixed by a belt behind my head.. the cable is long enough to do that

ofc the detector will break if it gets wet :) but it wont happen. The coil is waterproof. I think the lobo with a small and a big coil (depending on the conditions) is one of the best water detectors out there. But only for fresh water. It's way more powerful than tigershark anyway, especially with a large DD coil
..... Ok now i understand i did not think some one with a LST would put the box under water...........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread