New to Forum- Just bought a Tesoro Silver uMax

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi, everyone. I have been lurking in the background reading for a couple of months now. I have learned alot and got a few good laughs along the way. I have just purchased a Silver uMax- kinda by accident! There was one on ebay for $175 hardly used like brand new. This person had a make offer button, so I pressed it and offered $165. The next thing I know it said my offer was accepted and I could pay now! Okay, I guess things could be worse and I could have ended up with one of those other brands. I will give this thing a try and can always use it as the kids detector! From what I have read though it seems to be quite a capable machine. I called Tesoro a few weeks ago and talked to a guy by the name of Vince for about 45 minutes on their different models of detectors. I was quite impressed and he was very friendly helping me with all my questions. Where I live in northern Wisconsin the soil is not mineralized so I should do okay with this machine. I am really planning on buying a Tiger Shark for freshwater use. I was going to use it for land and freshwater. I guess the Silver uMax can be my land machine. I plan on getting the Tiger Shark before spring. I hate to put all my eggs in one basket, but I would also like to get a Vaquero. You don't need to welcome me to the darkside, because it looks like I am already there! I had a Garrett GTax 450 about 8 years ago and liked it (I haven't detected since but got the bug again). I did good on most coins, but it was allergic to nickels and gold. This had a TDI and I did not find it to be much of an advantage, as it lied once in awhile. I learned to listen to and interpret tones to get information on the target. I hardly ever looked at the TDI after the first year of use. This is what lead me to Tesoro. When I first started back then as a total newb a TDI was cool and a must. I had looked at Tesoro's back then and laughed because all they had was knobs. Now the laugh is on me!

I made a test garden last week in case the ground froze for the winter. Can't wait to run the Silver uMax over it. What do you guys and gals think of the Silver uMax overall?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the tesoro. I have a Vaquero an it is one awesome machine. Nice profile pic btw! Been a fan of them since I was a kid even though I live in NY, lol. Looking forward to your finds!

OP
OP
rainyday101

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys, unfortunately the Pack is not doing so hot this year. I live just north of Green Bay so I am a die hard fan. I can't wait to get the silver umax outside. I have a bunch of old spots I want to hit. I don't see many people with detectors around here and that's fine with me. We have been having a warm winter and the ground is not frozen yet..... Hopefully it hold off a little bit longer. I have 100 year old swimming areas on the river I want to hit, at least on the sand near them. Hopefully I get some hot finds!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from White Plains, New York! I am a hopeless Tesoro addict, and have a Compadre; Cibola; Vaquero; Lobo Super Traq; and a Sand Shark. Oh, and that guy "Vince" you talked to, is Vince Gifford, President of Tesoro Electronics. He's the good looking guy in the photo! :laughing7:

Attachments

• VinceTerry.jpg
    VinceTerry.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 124

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep....you made a good choice the Tesoro machines are great machines and will find the keepers....you might dig a bit more junk but won't miss many good finds.

Regards + HH

Bill

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The Silver micro max is no toy. The detector performs very well.
Have a read here:
Tesoro Metal Detectors - Official company web site with metal detector models for treasure hunting land or water.

Keep the disc low and set the sens to where the machine does not chatter when you lower the coil to the ground and away you go.
Setting the disc at minimum will return the most good targets and if you go above foil you will miss some of the small gold items of jewellery.
It is an easy machine to operate so play around with the sensitivity and Disc settings a bit to get the hang of what it will and will not respond to.
The detector will be ok over dry beach sand but over wetsalt sand you will need to lower the sensitivity setting.

OP
OP
rainyday101

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the great replies. I find it amazing that the president of the company answered the phone and spent all that time talking about detectors and just generally shooting the breeze. I was told that even though I am not the original purchaser Tesoro will stay take care of me. I don't mind paying for service as long as it is fair. Now I have to tell my wife I just bought the detector and hope she doesn't kick me in the nuts!

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum and to owning a Tesoro. They hunt deep. I switched to Tesoro last year and now have 4 of them.

But I just bought a Whites DFX that was too nice and too cheap to pass up.

Good luck with your Tesoro.

HI BOB!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions