Vaquero, deleon, or lobo supertraq

fordam3

Jun 26, 2012
Oxford, OH
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, Bounty Hunter IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey folks! I am back in the market for my third detector! I have loved every minute with my White's XLT, but I have been wanting a Tesoro since I first heard of their superior performance as audio-based detectors (I much prefer to work off of audio signals than visual signals). That having been said, I am looking at the vaquero, deleon, and the lobo supertraq. The vaquero seems off of the bat to be one heck of an option given its depth capabilities. However, I have also heard really good things about both the deleon and the lobo supertraq. Thus, I am hoping that somebody could provide some insight as to what the pros and cons of each detector may be. I am specifically a coin shooter, though I wouldn't mind being able to search for some relics at some point. I operate primarily on your typical Ohio soil, though I have recently taken up detecting in the woods. Are any superior in breaching the foliage on a forest floor? That's a huge problem with my XLT -- it cannot perform very well unless the ground is minimally covered with leaves and whatnot. Thanks a bunch, and happy swinging!!!!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It just depends on your fun level as they all operate a little differently. Look them up on Tesoro's website.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm really torn between the Lobo ST and the Vaquero. The Lobo (17.8khz) is a DEEP machine on silver and gold in the All Metal mode (which I dig in), but loses a lot of depth as soon as you start discriminating out iron because it is built as a gold nugget hunter. The Vaquero is probably the machine I would tell others to get, because it loses less depth in Discriminate mode at 14.3khz.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the DeLeon as my everyday machine.....but it's single tone and does have a screen which I mostly ignore it's what most would call a beep and dig machine....in my opinion if you want extra depth go with one of the other models you're looking at ....the DeLeon gives you about 6" or so on a coin and maybe 8" if you're lucky with no other targets around..

Regards + HH

Bill

Jersey Hunter

Dec 27, 2011
Barnegat, NJ
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE and G2, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche digger and Relic Hunter Shovel.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My choices would be the Vaquero or (not on your list) the Tejon.

OP
OP
fordam3

fordam3

Jun 26, 2012
Oxford, OH
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, Bounty Hunter IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So what are the pluses of the tejon as opposed to the others?

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
So what are the pluses of the tejon as opposed to the others?

The tejon is more like a relic detector.It has a higher frequency.The higher the frequency of a detector the more sensitive to brass (buttons) gold,lead(musket balls) the lower conductivity metals.Were the vaq will hit hard on silver and copper coins.The tejon is the deepest detector that is in the tesoro line up.For sure a woods detector.The vaq is so close to it though.The vaq is a little easier to ground balance.Both are great.I would say if you like hunting relics any at all,look at the tejon also.

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Why are there no videos of Tesoro detectors finding deep coins? It's obvious that other brands of detectors can nail deep coins by all the videos but I have never seen anything from Tesoro in that department.

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Not that I'm against Tesoro's..I'm actually looking at a Deleon right now. I'm curious why Tesoro doesn't do much about ground balance....even their most expensive unit is fixed gb in discriminate mode.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For what it's worth the DeLeon is not the deepest machine around....I read a field test where the user supposedly found a silver dime at 10/11" range.....I have my doubts but then again that's the way I feel about most machine reviews....it's not fancy but It'll find you the goods down to 6" or or no problem.....lol.

Here's a few silvers I've found with it.

Regards + HH

Bill

Not that I'm against Tesoro's..I'm actually looking at a Deleon right now. I'm curious why Tesoro doesn't do much about ground balance....even their most expensive unit is fixed gb in discriminate mode.

Attachments

• DSC00064.JPG
    DSC00064.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 166

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
For what it's worth the DeLeon is not the deepest machine around....I read a field test where the user supposedly found a silver dime at 10/11" range.....I have my doubts but then again that's the way I feel about most machine reviews....it's not fancy but It'll find you the goods down to 6" or or no problem.....lol.

Here's a few silvers I've found with it.

Regards + HH

Bill

I am primarily a silver coin hunter and it doesn't sound like the Deleon is my best choice for that. You certainly did hammer the jewelry with it though.

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
I am primarily a silver coin hunter and it doesn't sound like the Deleon is my best choice for that. You certainly did hammer the jewelry with it though.

Go on utube and look at the vaq comparisons to the ML explorer etc.The vaq gets double to triple the depth of these detectors.The vaq would be my first choice for deep coin hunting.Esp silver coins.You can take the vaq,set the disc on tab,and go into a older area and cherry pick every silver coin there.When a detector,any brand,adds tones,display,etc,the detector will loose depth.This is why the vaq and tejon retains such good depth performance everyone talks about.So you make the decision,do i need a detector to have notch disc,display,tones,to help in trash at the sacrifice of depth,or do you need a pure,raw deep seeking detector.This is the give and take we have to deal with.That is why i use a golden umax for trashed parks,and it gets me plenty of silver too.Or if i want to go to a old site with a little less trash and go for max depth,i would take the vaq or tejon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread