Outlaw Coil Question: Best Coil for the Beach?

jfeeney

Sep 16, 2012
Dayton
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm heading to the beach in Florida for a few days. I have the three coils that came with the Outlaw: 5.75" Round Concentric Coil, 8" Round Open Center Concentric,12x10" Spoked Wide Scan. I have used both the 8" and the 12"x10" and have been doing fine with them. If I was driving I would take all three but I'll fly down and don't want to pack the additional gear.

Anyone care to offer their take on what would be the best overall coil for MDing the dry beach sands?

My thought was go with the 12"x10" since I'll be scooping up the sand vs. trying to pinpoint something.

Any other thoughts? Thanks!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Use the 12x10 and stay in the dry sand - Big Gold!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ditto the larger coil for covering more area per sweep and hour. Stay in the dry sand is a good idea when you don't have a detector that is not multi frequency.

OP
OP
jfeeney

jfeeney

Sep 16, 2012
Dayton
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry and Sandman - thanks for the coil advice and thanks for the advice to go with Tesoro. I love the Outlaw.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Outlaw is a fine detector and with it coming with three coils and lower rods for fast changing if needed. What I really like about it is the Zero motion all metal.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My thought was go with the 12"x10" since I'll be scooping up the sand vs. trying to pinpoint something.

The 12x10 isn't hard to pin point with. Just wiggle the coil back until the signal disappears and it your target will be at the tip of it.

OP
OP
jfeeney

jfeeney

Sep 16, 2012
Dayton
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
GibH - I found an article describing this procedure just before I saw your post. Thanks for the insight. I have to admit I felt pretty stupid once I read how to do it. I'll be breaking out the 12"x10" more often now! Thanks again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread